Sponsored by:

Group thoughts - money to spend.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:44 AM
NMSU_RRAggie
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Spend the fun money on a road trip. You know, go on an excursion. Baja is full of adventure. Lots of wide open beaches just waking to be explored and camped on.

I just returned from driving to Cabo and back......again
I think I'd be too chicken to take the wife and kids driving into Mexico.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you going to be doing the stereo work yourself or paying someone to do it? That factors in huge. You can do a headunit, replace all speakers with something decent (~$80/pr) and an amp/sub for a grand for sure.

I'd slap on some 08 mirrors for under $200, possibly a remote start and then spend the remaining $600 on the stereo upgrade, but that's just me and it's Africa hot here in the summer. I enjoy getting into a vehicle that's already cooled down.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:22 AM
NMSU_RRAggie
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers would be something I would do, head unit possibly, wiring an amp, probably by others. I have a tendency to break things. I am a perfectionist without the skills to be a perfectionist.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:31 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Eh, there's not a lot to wiring an amp honestly. If you're going to have the head unit out installing a new one, you might as well go ahead and run the RCA cables and the amp turn on (accessory) wire at that time. The rest is gravy. From a noise cancellation standpoint, I like to run power on one side of the chassis and signal on the opposite but like you, I'm a perfectionist, and many people run them side by side all day long.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:31 AM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by HokieHiVPI
Eh, there's not a lot to wiring an amp honestly. If you're going to have the head unit out installing a new one, you might as well go ahead and run the RCA cables and the amp turn on (accessory) wire at that time. The rest is gravy. From a noise cancellation standpoint, I like to run power on one side of the chassis and signal on the opposite but like you, I'm a perfectionist, and many people run them side by side all day long.
x2

There is nothing more complicated to wiring and amp than the head unit. Fatter power and ground and that's about it.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NMSU_RRAggie
Wants:

UPGRADE SOUND. OEM still there want to do speakers first along with fatmat/dynamat, followed by head unit. 2way or 3way speakers? Ill do the work at least the speakers and sound deadening. Install of head unit may be by me but might do professionally.

Y PIPE and FIVE STAR TUNER. Added horse power and potenting in crease of gas mileage is a nice thing. I have the old style Ram Horn style. Will I be happy with the Y Pipe? I'll buy the parts someone else to install. Will this in increase noise?

UPGRADE SPRINGS. Was more of a want prior to the work we did earlier this month.

TIRES. Not "fun" money. We don't drive many miles a year and didn't want $1000 wasting away in the sun. But it is still a need and would benefit my driving enjoyment Im pretty sure.

I want thoughts and opinions from you all if you please. There is a budget. There are no wrong answers. Is there something I missed?

Thanks ahead of time.
I'd like to make one car audio suggestion...replace the head unit FIRST! You should do an amp and then speakers, a head unit and then speakers, or a head unit, amp, and speakers. I have seen MANY beautiful new sets of speakers get blown up and destroyed by under-powering source units.

Too much power is NEVER the problem for speakers, but too little power is ALWAYS a nightmare to speakers. Some even find that with a boost in power to the factory speakers the sound becomes palatable. Not my story...I've got 3000 Watts rms going to my system, ha! But it all started with a Kenwood head unit for an increase of power to factory speakers, it actually wasn't bad...now? Whoa Nelly!

Enjoy!