6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford's new list wws m2c171f1

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:41 AM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
According to the oil chart in the manual, I really should be running 0W oil in the winter. Potential for consistent operating temps -20F - and when we go places, that could drop to highs in the -40F range with lows in the -60F range.
Nothing global warming couldn't cure, man thats cold. My few days in -40 was enough for me and I like winter.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:34 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner01
Nothing global warming couldn't cure, man thats cold. My few days in -40 was enough for me and I like winter.
Once it gets past -20 I can't tell the difference. It just plain hurts.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:04 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by radium
well the confusion continues lol at least its the old cj 4 and even if it is the new ck 4 in the bottle?? it meets fords spec could not get a straight answer over the phone with oil rep i give up i'll feel better when the new bottles have ck 4 and say meets fords spec number M2C171F1 notice its not on side lable oh well i have to change it and i need 5w 40 for the -5 days to come take care
The way I read the listing of Ford approved oils is that Valvoline PBE 5w40 synthetic is approved whether the bottle is older and just states CJ-4, or whether it is newer and states CK-4. I bought some from Napa 2 weeks ago and it lists CJ-4 and CK-4. To me this means it was bottled after CK-4 came into effect, and since on the Ford list, it is approved for use in a Powerstroke engine.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
skanj0 - I agree with your line of thinking too...

Yeah, after it gets below zero it's just plain old cold.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:27 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how we, average joe-the-pickup owner, were supposed to know about this new oil restriction. Was Ford going to send us some information? I'm sure everybody doesn't get their oil changed at the Ford dealer.

What is CK going to do to our engines? Oh, by the way, we don't have a whole lot of cold weather in Southern New Mexico--not like you guys in the frozen north.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:01 AM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
According to the oil chart in the manual, I really should be running 0W oil in the winter. Potential for consistent operating temps -20F - and when we go places, that could drop to highs in the -40F range with lows in the -60F range.
Well, have no personal experience with anything less than -15°.

From reading/seeing arctic motor pool protocol, below -40°, heat pads needed on the tranny pan, engine oil pan, power steering pump and transfer case. Block heater, and a blanket over the hood and fenders are just part of their set up. They also use arctic grade lubricants(whatever that is..?) in everything including wheel bearings.

Was at Mount Mansfield Stowe many years ago and they closed the mountain because the wind chill was at -76°. Not sure what the actual temp was. Probably around -20°..? with a big wind.

On my way from the parking lot to the lodge, almost didn't make it. Knees got stiff and holding my skis /poles was getting difficult. And i was dressed for it, kind of... Spit froze before it hit the ground. It was just plain painful to be out in that weather for me...

I like living in Florida now... lol

Just curious, where are you seeing -60°..?

Old 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Fairbanks can hit -60F.

A friend of mine that worked all over the state putting up telecommunications towers for the military decades ago told me of times they would jack the trucks up and leave them running in gear while they slept because the gears would freeze and you couldn't move them in the morning. Probably before arctic grade lubricants were discovered.

Here's a photo for you... That's not including any type of windchill...

Old 01-03-2017, 05:34 PM
allcool
Senior User
Fairbanks can hit -60F.

A friend of mine that worked all over the state putting up telecommunications towers for the military decades ago told me of times they would jack the trucks up and leave them running in gear while they slept because the gears would freeze and you couldn't move them in the morning. Probably before arctic grade lubricants were discovered.

Here's a photo for you... That's not including any type of windchill...

Nice pic...
Is that a Alaskan C for centigrade, or is it a 6,,, probably a 6 with the bottom led of the 6 cold frozen out...lol

Old 01-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
It's a 6... As in -62F... FWIW, At -40, F and C are the same. -62F is roughly -52C.

Odd day in Anchorage. I was in West Anchorage sorta by the coast and the truck said we were single digits above zero. All of the "blue" winter rated windshield washer stations at the fuel station were blocks of ice. The fuel hoses were covered in hoar frost too. Sure felt and things were acting like sub zero temps, even though it wasn't.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:03 PM
hayisforhorses
New User
shell rotella T6

so I have been using shell rotella t6 since truck was new, just bought yesterday getting ready for a road trip and now I am not suppose to use it?

Old 01-05-2017, 12:05 PM
hayisforhorses
New User
2012 cab chassis 6.7

Old 01-05-2017, 01:27 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It's very confusing but I'll try to help you. The list it's what's approved for CK 4 . The problem with T6 is that it might be the new formulation in the bottle even though it says C J 4 this is why everyone's trying to figure out what's safe to use, of course you could always use Ford motor oil which is absolutely safe. However living in the cold climates which some of the debate is about above us I run 5w40 year-round synthetic. The Simple Solution I found for now is to run to Valvoline 5w40 premium blue it's actually a little cheaper than the T6 and I won't have to worry because even if they put the new oil in the old bottles it's still meet the requirement after talking to the rep at Valvoline. But don't worry Shell Oil Company is working with Ford to make their oil meet the requirements .we'll just have to wait a few more months in the meantime if you want to run synthetic you can buy the Ford 5w40 which is really expensive if you can even find it or just go with anything in that list above. And as other people have pointed out if you can find an old T6 bottle you'll be safe I believe they were dark blue color the new ones are a light blue even though they say cj4 I don't trust them it's the new formulation in the lighter colored bottles it's too bad nobody has a picture of the old original bottle I think I have a 2.5 I'll try to find it and show you the difference. Take care

Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 PM
allcool
Senior User
Originally Posted by hayisforhorses
so I have been using shell rotella t6 since truck was new, just bought yesterday getting ready for a road trip and now I am not suppose to use it?
Was a wallymart and picked up some 5-40 Mobil 1, its still cj-4 and more than fine for our trucks. The t6 also said cj-4 on the 2.5gal jugs and the 1 gal jugs.
JMO, but I find it very unlikely the new CK oil is in an incorrectly labeled jug.
Shell wouldn't jeopardize their very large company like that,,, no..?

I think 5-40 Mobil 1 cj-4 is still the best off the shelf oil for our trucks, but thats my opinion only...

Here is a pic of the t6 jugs in parkland Florida wallymart last week.Looks fine to me, t6 cj-4 oil.

jmo

Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2017, 04:18 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
I still wonder I wonder how we were supposed to know about this new oil restriction. Was Ford going to send us some information?

Old 01-05-2017, 04:26 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Careful the new bottles say CJ-4 (only) and not CK-4, even though it's the new stuff...

Glad you got it figured out Radium.
Why would the new bottles not say CK-4?
Web site lists it.

Shell ROTELLA® T6 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil | Shell ROTELLA®

This seems pretty stupid to me ...... glad I have 15 gallons of the OLD T6.

Can someone dumb this down for me a bit? Why is the new T6 no good? Because ford says so?

Quick Reply: Ford's new list wws m2c171f1