2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Camper Package and Snow Plow prep package

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:59 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Camper Package and Snow Plow prep package

Doing my build on an F 350 KR, SWB, CC, 4x4, 6.7. I tow a TT now and may move to a 5th wheel. Will never plow nor put a camper on the bed. I don't where either of these do much to strengthen the rear springs on an F 350 but give you 1 increment greater on the front springs. I also can't get the 20" wheels I want with the chrome package.

Are these 2 packages not really needed if not planning to plow. Can't believe you can only get a rear stabilizer by adding these packages. Is a rear stabilizer necessary after delivery for the 2017. I have one on my 2009 F 250 lariat. tks

Old 12-21-2016, 07:19 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Camper package give you stronger springs up front and a sway bar on the rear. If you want 18" wheels and the 3.55 (which is the best for towing) then the camper package is required.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:53 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Camper package give you stronger springs up front and a sway bar on the rear. If you want 18" wheels and the 3.55 (which is the best for towing) then the camper package is required.

I am ordering the 3.55 locking axle and the 20's. To get camper package I have to go with 18's. I am curious if having a stronger spring is really necessary to tow a TT/5th wheel. I believe their terminology for the camper package is for those that want to put a truck bed camper on the bed which is very heavy and you need all the beef you can get to support that direct weight. tks

Old 12-21-2016, 08:22 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cecilt
I am ordering the 3.55 locking axle and the 20's. To get camper package I have to go with 18's. I am curious if having a stronger spring is really necessary to tow a TT/5th wheel. I believe their terminology for the camper package is for those that want to put a truck bed camper on the bed which is very heavy and you need all the beef you can get to support that direct weight. tks
The optimal way to do this on a F350 is to order 3.55s, 20" wheels, and then the Snow Plow Prep Package. This will give you the highest front GAWR (with 5,990 lb coils). Then get an aftermarket rear sway bar (the OEM one is very small and mounts under the rear axle, whereas the aftermarket Hellwig bar mounts above the axle and is much larger in diameter. With the F350 you already get the upper auxillary spring, so therefore you dont need the Camper Package. Instead get the 5th wheel prep package.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:45 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Originally Posted by skanj0
The optimal way to do this on a F350 is to order 3.55s, 20" wheels, and then the Snow Plow Prep Package. This will give you the highest front GAWR (with 5,990 lb coils). Then get an aftermarket rear sway bar (the OEM one is very small and mounts under the rear axle, whereas the aftermarket Hellwig bar mounts above the axle and is much larger in diameter. With the F350 you already get the upper auxillary spring, so therefore you dont need the Camper Package. Instead get the 5th wheel prep package.

Looks like I can add the Snow plow prep for $85 or the heavy duty front suspension for $125. Can't see a difference between the two. Any input. Also, if I don't plan to plow will this just make the ride harsher with stiffer front springs. tks

Old 12-21-2016, 10:21 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Snow plow springs are stiffer, it'll ride rough.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:20 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw some literature that the dealer printed out and the heavy service front springs are the same as the snow plow prep front springs. One up from the standard springs. The chart showed it in terms of weight. If memory serves me right both options gave you 400lbs more carrying capacity in the front end. The snow plow package must give something extra over the heavy front service springs if it actually costs more. Maybe a plug for auxiliary headlights that are used on plows? I'm putting a heavy bumper and winch so I got the snow plow/camper option.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:27 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by cecilt
Looks like I can add the Snow plow prep for $85 or the heavy duty front suspension for $125. Can't see a difference between the two. Any input. Also, if I don't plan to plow will this just make the ride harsher with stiffer front springs. tks

You likely won't notice much of a difference between the ride of any of the three front spring options. The Camper Pkg and the HD Front Spring Pkg both up the front springs from the base 5200# to 5600# springs. The plow prep gets 5990# front springs.

What I would do is get your 20's, 3.55's, skip the front upgrade, and add the OEM rear sway bar yourself for about $125. It's a simple bolt on installation and the only physical item that the camper package actually adds to a SRW 350. Another member did this recently and posted part numbers. I'm actually doing this exact setup on my order but I do plow my driveway so I'm adding the plow prep as well...

So, to re-state:

6.7 SRW 350 front spring rates.

Base = 5200#
Camper or HD Spring Pkg = 5600#
Plow Prep Pkg. = 5990#

Old 12-22-2016, 10:01 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
valuable charts on spring rates

Here is the information I was talking about. It's surprising how much the spring rates change depending on your configuration. I hope this helps everyone.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:17 AM
System
Prolocutor
Lots of misprints there. That's an old chart and should not be taken as accurate. I used to quote those number too 6 months back until trucks started rolling that contradicted them and Ford's website slowly updated. There have been tons of misprints during the 2017 launch. I'm not sure why Ford didn't have a better picture of their actual ratings before printing literature. They even got 4000+ doorjamb stickers printed wrong...

Old 12-27-2016, 08:46 AM
NORCALPABLO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll turn 60 in a couple of weeks. To celebrate, I'm planning to order a 2017 F350 6.7 4x4 crewcab single rear wheel, probably a Platinum, probably a long bed. I've never ordered a new vehicle in my life (and probably never will again), so this is a Real Big Deal. I want to get it right.

My wife and I are retiring and moving from Pennsylvania to the Phoenix area next fall. We'll still have kids on the east coast. We plan to buy a lightly used fifth wheeler so that we can more easily travel back and forth to escape the Arizona summer heat and see the kids. As with many of you, I want to be sure that I maximize the payload when I order.

Of course the crew/diesel/Platinum/long/SRW configuration works against that, but I want to do whatever I can. So I understand that the camper package only adds the sway bar on the F350, and I can easily do that myself. I believe the various upgraded front suspension are unlikely to provide any rear payload benefit, right? The truck will never see a plow. Of course I'll get fifth wheel prep, but is there anything I can do to help payload?

I've been lurking and learning for months. You guys have provided me with a great education on these trucks, and I sincerely appreciate it! Thank you...

Paul

Old 12-27-2016, 08:47 AM
System
Prolocutor
You're on the right page on all fronts what I see Paul. Payload is what it is and the more options the truck has, the lower it will be. The only way to up it would be to order a more stripped down truck...

Old 12-27-2016, 08:52 AM
NORCALPABLO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rodney, thanks for the quick response! I'll order within the next two weeks. BTW, I was born in Great Barrington. Western Mass is a beautiful area! Regards...

Paul

Old 12-27-2016, 08:56 AM
System
Prolocutor
Paul, for me, it was easier to find a 5ver with a light pin than to try and increase payload through option sacrifice or by going DRW. There are so many choices out there that I'm sure you can find one that fits with the truck you really want to order. Just remember that listed dry weight often isn't accurate. However, going with the 20% calculation is just a wild guess too. You're safest bet would be to get a Sherline scale and check things out for yourself before buying. Yes, the rig will get heavier when you're loaded and ready for travel but it would give you a good starting point and let you know if you are in the realm of possible...

Old 12-28-2016, 07:26 AM
bigred460ci
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
On Ford's build site putting together a '17 F350 Lariat Supercab, 164", SRW, 4X4, 6.7, 3.55 elock. Will be putting on a snowplow as well as using a truck camper. I do not want the chrome package.
I can add the snow plow prep or the camper package but when I try to add the snowplow/camper package it adds the chrome package.
Anyway to get around this?

Quick Reply: Camper Package and Snow Plow prep package