Sponsored by: Moser

How To: Install OEM Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 04:51 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
How To: Install OEM Remote Start

Hello all! I am new to the F150 section. I come from the 7.3L Powerstroke area of the form, but am happy to have my new F150. Back in the day I made lots of F250 and 7.3L how to videos. I hope to do lots of videos on the F150 as well.

My first task was to add OEM Remote Start. I can't take credit for any of the information I've used in the video, I just assembled it onto YouTube! Hope this helps other people trying to add OEM remote start.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:02 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Great video, can you post your part numbers here?

Old 12-19-2016, 06:38 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Great video, can you post your part numbers here?
Yes!

The Remote Start "Module" which is just an antenna, is: DA8Z-15603-A.
I bought it here: http://amzn.to/2hJQRg8

You can choose to buy an extention for the antenna to get it above the rear-view mirror, as I did in the video. I recommend this, as the factory location is behind the glove box. The part number for the extension is: fl3z-15k602-a.

I bought the extension at my local dealer for $28.

For a price review:
Antenna: $30
Extension: $30
New key: $20
Key cut at Walmart: $Free
Enabled Remote start at home: $Free (Using a bluetooth adapter I already had and free software.)

Also, I wasnt able to get the Remote Start menu in the gauge cluster enabled with my cheap-o OBD adapter. The more expensive ones can do this however. I took my truck to Ford and told them that the remote start was already enabled, but that the menues needed to be enabled. They did this for no charge.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:27 PM
fastback89
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the great video, I have the kit sitting here ready to go. I didn't know all those little tidbits with the Forscan app.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:36 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by fastback89
Thanks for the great video, I have the kit sitting here ready to go. I didn't know all those little tidbits with the Forscan app.
If you need any help, let me know!

Old 12-20-2016, 08:58 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
I was going to do this. But most dealers are going to charge $90 minimum for programming, then you need a quality OBD bluetooth or USB dongle which is $50 or more. Then you need to buy a new key which is around $50 or so. Then the antenna and parts add a little more.

Bottom line is that for the average guy, by the time you do all this you'll end up with over $200 bucks invested, and what you get is factory remote start with poor range.

My local shop says they will install a long range remote start system for me (Compustar brand) for $275 with lifetime warranty. I think I'll go that route.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:17 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by WXboy
I was going to do this. But most dealers are going to charge $90 minimum for programming, then you need a quality OBD bluetooth or USB dongle which is $50 or more. Then you need to buy a new key which is around $50 or so. Then the antenna and parts add a little more.

Bottom line is that for the average guy, by the time you do all this you'll end up with over $200 bucks invested, and what you get is factory remote start with poor range.

My local shop says they will install a long range remote start system for me (Compustar brand) for $275 with lifetime warranty. I think I'll go that route.
The aftermarket kits are certainly better, and offer more features. But enabling the factory system costs far less than $200. I am into it about $75 give or take, and the range is more than sufficient for me. Plus, its all OEM, so if it doesnt work, I can complain to Ford.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:26 PM
ososlow
Junior User
I'm into my remote start for $80cdn. $20 wifi obd2 and $60 for a pair of keys. I did both my dad's and my truck. I had already bought the adapter to play with forscan. So really it only cost me the price of the keys.
I was burned by a "higher end" remote start package on my old truck and wouldn't ever consider a hack and splice kit again.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:46 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
I looked into it some more.

Looks like I can buy a quality key for $30 on Amazon. Then pay a few bucks to have it cut and then program it myself since I have two original working keys. So that's $35.

Then I can get a Bluetooth OBD adapter for $20 and download the Forscan software for free and use that to activate remote start in my system.

At that point I'll have $50 invested and remote start will work...but my range will be very short. So short that it defeats the purpose of remote start.

So then I can pick up the antenna that plugs in behind the glove box for $30 and extend the range to what people are saying amounts to about 100 feet in the real world (even though it's advertised as 300 ft.).

So then I'd have $80 invested, and my remote start would work with my truck in my driveway and me looking at it out the living room window. OK...that's better...but still not perfect.

So now I'm trying to decide between $80 with meager useful range, or $250 for a kit installed for me with lifetime warranty and 1,500 ft. of range.

Hmmm....this is honestly a tough decision.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WXboy
I looked into it some more.

Looks like I can buy a quality key for $30 on Amazon. Then pay a few bucks to have it cut and then program it myself since I have two original working keys. So that's $35.

Then I can get a Bluetooth OBD adapter for $20 and download the Forscan software for free and use that to activate remote start in my system.

At that point I'll have $50 invested and remote start will work...but my range will be very short. So short that it defeats the purpose of remote start.

So then I can pick up the antenna that plugs in behind the glove box for $30 and extend the range to what people are saying amounts to about 100 feet in the real world (even though it's advertised as 300 ft.).

So then I'd have $80 invested, and my remote start would work with my truck in my driveway and me looking at it out the living room window. OK...that's better...but still not perfect.

So now I'm trying to decide between $80 with meager useful range, or $250 for a kit installed for me with lifetime warranty and 1,500 ft. of range.

Hmmm....this is honestly a tough decision.
If you go aftermarket, you would want to definitely make sure it is two way capable. Iirc, there is an aftermarket module that works with the OEM RS that uses your cell phone. I believe it is cheaper than the OEM cell phone app service.

The great thing about getting the OBD reader and using Forscan is you can do other things with it, so it makes the cost worth it.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:06 AM
Green Power
Elder User
Is this something I should be able to do on my XL? I can remotely lock/unlock it...

Old 12-28-2016, 07:05 AM
paintballdude05
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Your XLT would have to be 2011+ for it to work.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:55 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Green Power
Is this something I should be able to do on my XL? I can remotely lock/unlock it...
Look behind the glovebox. If the TPMS box is there, and has the open plug, it should work as long as remote start was offered the year your truck was manufactured.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 PM
sahively
New User
Quick question all. Does the antenna (DA8Z-15603-A) add any range to the remote start without the extension cable? I enabled remote start on my '13 and had a key cut. Works great with no other parts but the range is terrible.

Do I need the antenna and the cable to increase range?

Old 01-26-2017, 01:08 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by sahively
Quick question all. Does the antenna (DA8Z-15603-A) add any range to the remote start without the extension cable? I enabled remote start on my '13 and had a key cut. Works great with no other parts but the range is terrible.

Do I need the antenna and the cable to increase range?
Yes it will add range, but not a whole lot. Without it, Ive heard range is about "next to truck."

Quick Reply: How To: Install OEM Remote Start