2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Is this normal tranny shifting ...2012 Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Pastor Scott
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal tranny shifting ...2012 Expedition

Hey guys
Just picked up a 2012 Expedition..never had a vehicle with a Six Speed auto..so I dont know if Im just not use to how it shifts..
Seems to #1 shift allot and #2 I feel a slight slip when slowing to a stop then starting again from a roll...is this normal ? Has 52000 on it other its super clean..

Thanks
Ps Scott

Old 12-08-2016, 11:32 PM
Fordhusker
New User
1) Mine does too. Seems to get through all 6 gears by 45-50mph. Im sure it has to do with the way it's set up from the factory for fuel savings, although this trans does "learn" your driving style.
2) I am not sure if that is "normal" but I have heard of some TSB for a 2-1 downshift. If I remember right it is remedied by a flash at a dealer or something like that.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:21 AM
AdirondEx
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just purchased 2013 Navigator w/68k. I've noticed a hard 1-2, 2-1 shift at times. Not always but under certain conditions you can tell something is not normal. My girl has a 2014 Expedition Limited purchased new which I presume is basically the same truck that shifts very smooth under all conditions.

The Nav also seems to hurry through the gears which is annoying by itself but when coupled with a hard shift every now and then is unacceptable on an otherwise great truck. Gonna get it to the dealer (3 mo. warranty) who also owns a Ford/Lincoln store next week to let them figure it out. I've also read about re-flashing the transmission and issues with the valve body.

I'll report back after I bring it in.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:16 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pastor Scott
Hey guys
Just picked up a 2012 Expedition..never had a vehicle with a Six Speed auto..so I dont know if Im just not use to how it shifts..
Seems to #1 shift allot and #2 I feel a slight slip when slowing to a stop then starting again from a roll...is this normal ? Has 52000 on it other its super clean..

Thanks
Ps Scott
Originally Posted by Fordhusker
1) Mine does too. Seems to get through all 6 gears by 45-50mph. Im sure it has to do with the way it's set up from the factory for fuel savings, although this trans does "learn" your driving style.
2) I am not sure if that is "normal" but I have heard of some TSB for a 2-1 downshift. If I remember right it is remedied by a flash at a dealer or something like that.
Hey you all,

Have you stopped by your local Ford Dealers for this? If there is a TSB available, they will be in the best position to diagnose and repair. You can find one near you here.

You're also welcome to send me a private message with your VINs, and I'll take a look.

Originally Posted by AdirondEx
Just purchased 2013 Navigator w/68k. I've noticed a hard 1-2, 2-1 shift at times. Not always but under certain conditions you can tell something is not normal. My girl has a 2014 Expedition Limited purchased new which I presume is basically the same truck that shifts very smooth under all conditions.

The Nav also seems to hurry through the gears which is annoying by itself but when coupled with a hard shift every now and then is unacceptable on an otherwise great truck. Gonna get it to the dealer (3 mo. warranty) who also owns a Ford/Lincoln store next week to let them figure it out. I've also read about re-flashing the transmission and issues with the valve body.

I'll report back after I bring it in.
Sounds like a plan, AdirondEx! We're here if you need us.

Rachel

Old 12-09-2016, 10:01 PM
k9education
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pastor Scott
Hey guys

Thanks
Ps Scott
Yes, it's normal (though it doesn't inspire confidence in the longevity of this transmission). If you come to a really gentle stop, it almost feels as if someone gave you a little love tap on the rear bumper. When I first got my truck I took it to both a Ford dealership and my local transmission guy (who spends half his day working on F150s in this rural area); both assured me it was normal. As an aside, I would recommend that you get the transmission fluid checked regularly as a preventative measure. Ford recommends a 150K service interval, but the fluid will need to be changed long before that. I had mine done at just over 100K.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Pastor Scott
Senior User
Thanks to all....sent in my VIN...also found where my deep stick is for tranny..on the tranny down on the underside..crazy little thing

Old 01-04-2017, 03:20 PM
AdirondEx
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update... 2013 Lincoln Navigator driven by service manager last week. Was able to replicate hard 1-2 shift at will.

Took it in today, they "Reset CAMS, Perform (KAM) Keep Alive Memory, Clear and Reset.

Service Manager said to drive normal for 100-200 miles and let him know if it worked. I notice the difference already, no hard shifts so far! Will update after a few hundred miles.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Pastor Scott
Senior User
Thats good but mine doesnt have a hard shift but it feels like a slip shift from 1st to 2nd but only at certain times..like rolling through a stop sign -almost coming to a stop and then hitting the gas - it seems like it slips for a second before going into 2nd.. Brought to dealer said they didnt see it.. Brought to my personal tranny guy...says the dealer only has a flash or something but no one at the dealer knows what im talking about..at least the service counter guy

thanks
Ps Scott

Old 01-04-2017, 09:53 PM
PLCguy
Freshman User
Ps Scott. I bought my 2011 Navi with 48K miles on it. It did not shift perfect. I had the 2-1 downshift bump mentioned above, and it general just did not feel exactly right. I dropped the trans pan, changed filter, and added all new Mercon LV. The trans fluid is supposedly "lifetime" but what I removed was dark. Darker than it should be.

It took several weeks to get the new fluid level dialed exactly in. That little dipstick is a pain. There are marks for both cold and hot fluid level. Now that I have it fluid level right my 2-1 downshift problem is gone, and it feels like it's shifting perfectly.

I've had our Navi for about a year and a half. You and I have similar year vehicles, similar mileage. If you want any more info, let me know.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Pastor Scott
Senior User
Thanks yes..

Yes I would like more info .. to tell you the truth I went from an 04 Burb to this 2012 expo...Im having second thoughts now..for one this transmission ..some say its fine mine just seems off a bit.. I wonder if doing what you did is good for me...Mine still has a factory warr.. dont want to mess with it...also these power steps..Im not sold on them yet,,,would have rather have had permanent ones...dont get me wrong this expo looks amazing drives amazing and feels like Im sitting in my living room when I drive it..its so nice that way and handles amazing...just hope its as reliable as my burb was.. just heard so many stories about these and the 5.4.. time will tell.. let me know about your

Ps Scott

Old 01-05-2017, 06:48 PM
PLCguy
Freshman User
I've had our Navi for 18 months and we love it. My warranty expired soon after we got it. I don't trust dealerships in general and have done all my own maintenance on it. I know that is not an option for everyone.

Transmission - It took me a while, but mine is shifting so smooth you barely feel it. As befitting a vehicle of this cost. This 6R80 is a very complicated and advanced transmission. If you maintain it, they have a reputation for high reliability. Mine got a lot better after I changed the fluid and put a new filter in it. I had to drop the trans pan to do this. I replaced with a larger aluminum pan (that has a drain plug) because I plan to do this every 50K miles or so. Cleaned the magnet. I then filled the new pan with Mercon LV and opened a hose at the outlet of the trans cooler and used the new fluid to push the old out of the torque conveter and cooling system. Start car, fill old fluid into gallon bucket, stop car, add fluid to trans, repeat. You could see when the brighter fluid starting coming thru. I have tow package with the trans cooler and it takes 18-19 quarts of LV to accomplish this along with my new larger pan. Even adding fluid to this trans is difficult. I eventually used a 6' length of clear tubing snaked down the engine compartment. Not too hard, but not as easy as the old days. After that now you have to get the fluid level set correctly. This is a pain with that little dipstick. Especially when the car is hot. The dipstick is right next to the catalytic. Gloves are required. If you put to much in, taking any out is a pain (again trans pan with a drain plug helps here). When I first started I was about a qt low of fluid and I did feel some slipping, maybe this is causing your slip? My main recommendation would be to get your trans fluid changed. I don't care that Ford says the fluid is lifetime. I don't buy it. If you have a dealer do it, ask if they will drop the pan, clean magnet, and replace filter. Ask to see magnet or photo when they do. If there is something really wrong with your unit, that magnet will have metal on it.

For what it's worth, I have also changed the fluid on the transfer case, rear diff and front diff. Because I didn't buy the car new, I wanted to know what I had. These are much easier than trans. Drain and fill plug and refill until it comes out the fill plug. These did not have as much affect on driving, but xfer and rear diff fluids were dirty. Looked very different than new fluid. I used the correct Motorcraft fluids for all. The front differential fluid on mine was milky. Very milky and gray. I've heard that this is a factory break-in additive. Yet Fords says no need to replace? How long do you want that break-in additive running. How do you stop "breaking-in" if you don't change the front diff fluid. Probably cost me $200 total to change fluids in trans/xfer/rear and front diff. Seems like cheap insurance for entire drivetrain of a $40K - $50K truck.

Running boards - I have these too. These are expensive to fix and live a lot longer with lubrication. About once a month I spray some WD-40 or PB Blaster on all the hinge pins. Both sides of hinge, both sides of pin. This cleans them and lubricates. Once yours are real clean you can replace with some lithium grease which will stay on there a little longer. Keep doing it, once a month. That motor will live a lot longer if those hinges are working freely. They get a lot of dirt and salt on them down there.

5.4 Triton - I'm not a engine rebuilder, just a garage mechanic. My only advice is oil changes every 4-5K miles, religiously Pastor. Use Motorcraft 5W-20 and the Motorcraft filter specified (FL-820S). Check your oil level monthly or every 1000 miles. I think these engines use a little oil and people aren't used to checking it these days, they accidently run them low, and it results in some of the noises, cam phaser, other problems the 5.4 is known for.

Spark plugs - You hear lots of problems with plugs breaking. Your year doesn't have most of these problems. I changed all mine myself at 60K. None broke. Took less than 2 hours if you have sockets and plenty of extensions. Use Motorcraft plugs, small amount anti-seize on threads (use a art paint brush), and a little di-electric grease inside the hole on the end of the coil boot. I checked the gap on the new ones and they were all too tight (by over .010") adjusted with pliers to .044 or so. The old plugs from factory were also not gapped right, too tight. With new plugs, your coils (COPs) will last longer and now that you have anti-seize you shouldn't have any breakage on future plug changes. My Navi idled smoother and seemed more peppy after I changed the plugs at 60K. I wouldn't wait until 100K miles. Especially if you can change them yourself, the only real cost to you is the plugs and tube of anti-seize.

In short we like our Navi. These are big comfortable trucks that are great for families, trips, hauling and towing. Many F150 and Expy owners get 250K or 300K miles out of them, or more. I am shooting for at least 200K on mine. If you have any DIY ability and a socket set, I encourage you to try some basic maintenance yourself. If you're not a garage mechanic, maybe someone in your family or flock is. Ask them for help. It's satisfying to maintain your own cars & trucks. Makes me feel like if one conked out on a trip, I would have a decent chance of fixing it myself. Get an OBD2 reader if you can. Mine works with an app on my phone to pull engine codes. Works on our Toyota too. Has saved me a trip to the dealership several times. I don't agree with some of the guidance you get from Ford, particular about fluids. A few dollars in fluids is better than a bill from the dealership. I haven't had mine to a dealership yet, and mine runs better than when I bought it. When you do your own maintenance, you will have gotten a little more knowledgeable about your truck, if you do end up taking it to the dealership you will be a better informed customer.

Hope this helps Padre. Good luck. I'll say a prayer for you.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Pastor Scott
Senior User
WOW - PLC guy you are so kind to spend so much time on my concerns,,wow.. anyway I am a retired mechanic so doing the work is no problem as I to enjoy working on my own stuff and I HATE going to the dealer as I dont trust them to really do what they say or do it right,,sure not all but I just question as they always look at me like I have no idea what im talking about. I do like the vehicle and you made me feel allot better about it now... will do the lube on the steps...Im crazy ocd about my vehicles...now the tranny fluid change leaves me with an old question.. I have always been of the school that dont change tranny fluid on an older vehicle if you dont know if it was ever done before or your asking for more problems...but you have me thinking- maybe I should just check the fluid..I was hoping when I brought it in to the dealer they would have done that as I asked them but who knows..my next concern is - to have the dealer change the fluid and filter or have my friend at the tranny shop that I trust ? If the Tranny Shop does it and something goes wrong or if I do it will the warr still cover it. Also the rear end fluid was changed at the dealer when I bought it ...but dear friend again thanks.. my email is pastorscott@optonline if you ever want to send me anything (info) I appreciate it

Ps Scott

Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Pastor Scott
Senior User
Oh mine does use a little bit of oil...im keeping an eye on it..I use Ford Oil Filter and Mobil 1 5w20. I change it or will every 2000 miles..i know crazy but i like changing my oil..I dont even have for 1300 miles as new owner.. it down a little ...I might attempt the plugs to even after the horror stories I hear about changing them.. it does run not as smooth as i think it should but again if that tranny smoothed out I would be much more content with it.. thanks again...

Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 PM
PLCguy
Freshman User
Come on Pastorman. No excuses for an ex-mechanic! Take control of your maintenance future. These 6R80 electronically controlled transmissions aren't like your Mercury Cyclone! I don't see how draining old dirty fluid and replacing with the correct fresh stuff can hurt it. It certainly didn't hurt mine.

Channel some of that energy for oil changes into getting your tranny just right. You could start off by just double checking the level of the fluid you have. I've had the best luck checking it cold & right after starting. Loosen, but don't remove the fill plug until after starting. When shutdown the fluid is above the fill plug and it will dump out on your garage (Ask me how I know). Once running and cold, if it's in the bottom set of hash marks, you're good, no need to check it hot like older transmissions. If that doesn't cure you're slip, I would move on to having the fluid changed. With all the types of trans fluids, it's hard for shops to have a flush machine for each one. Talk to your indy shop and ask them to drop pan, clean magnet, new filter, and refill with Mercon LV, or do it yourself. As long as your shop uses the correct fluid, I don't see how the dealer could find out and invalidate your warranty.

Then get on with changing those transfer and front diff fluids. If you can do those, the plugs will be a snap. By the way, whenever I am doing a major job on my truck, like any of these, I disconnect the battery, so I don't forget and try to start it!

No excuses! Get on it.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Pastor Scott
Senior User
Thanks- my friend,,,

Quick Reply: Is this normal tranny shifting ...2012 Expedition