1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Hackster's Build #3 Roush Racing Coyote, Ridetech, 4 link, Tremec goodness

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:46 AM
eclectix
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wondering what your welder is, a bit difficult to tell from the photos, but looking a bit like a millermatic 125. amazing work if so. i am thinking of getting a millermatic 251 because i have some heavy stuff (non automotive), though i am concerned it might be a bit too much for doing sheet metal stuff. i lent my 125 to a relative and it has not returned yet (which is ok with me, as long as it is getting some use with him).

edit:

oh forgot. fantastic and builds threads, just discovered them a couple of days ago. a great inspiration for a beginner like me. :-)

steve

1968 f250 highboy modified
1968 early bronco wagon modified
1966 early bronco roadster stock restoration
y2k explorer ltd (totalled 2007, RIP)

Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Hackster, always a fan. Why does everyone seem to leave the radius arm brackets on? Seems it would look cleaner with them removed. How are the manual brakes for everyday driving?

Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Always fun to watch. Thanks for sharing!
C

Old 03-28-2017, 04:41 AM
1SAWB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing build! Love the fab work and attension to detail.

How do yiu like the manual Brakes? Have been thinking of doing the same thing to mine

Old 03-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eclectix
wondering what your welder is, a bit difficult to tell from the photos, but looking a bit like a millermatic 125. amazing work if so. i am thinking of getting a millermatic 251 because i have some heavy stuff (non automotive), though i am concerned it might be a bit too much for doing sheet metal stuff. i lent my 125 to a relative and it has not returned yet (which is ok with me, as long as it is getting some use with him).

edit:

oh forgot. fantastic and builds threads, just discovered them a couple of days ago. a great inspiration for a beginner like me. :-)

steve

1968 f250 highboy modified
1968 early bronco wagon modified
1966 early bronco roadster stock restoration
y2k explorer ltd (totalled 2007, RIP)
Thanks man, its an old 175 machine, I recently added a Dynasty 200DX machine to the stable and learning to use it.

Originally Posted by hivoltj
Hackster, always a fan. Why does everyone seem to leave the radius arm brackets on? Seems it would look cleaner with them removed. How are the manual brakes for everyday driving?
They are a total pain in the *** to remove to be honest. I agree it would be cleaner without them and likely my next if there is one will have them removed.

Manual Brakes are just fine, I have no issues with them at all and find when I get into other cars there is a lot less feel and feedback from the pedal. The truck is very, very easy to stop. When you need a handful of brakes, they are always there.

Originally Posted by Coastal68
Always fun to watch. Thanks for sharing!
C
Thanks a bunch.

Originally Posted by 1SAWB
Amazing build! Love the fab work and attension to detail.

How do yiu like the manual Brakes? Have been thinking of doing the same thing to mine

Thanks for the props. Like I mentioned above, the brakes are great. Simple, not much to fail or replace and great pedal feel. It will outstop most modern cars, especially non super cars. I can adjust brake bias as needed, and really dial in the braking. It will put you through the windshield if you hammer on the brakes.

I took my dad for a spin a while back and he was amazed at just how hard the truck accelerated and stopped. It put a smile on my face =)

Sean

Old 03-28-2017, 06:08 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackster1
I took my dad for a spin a while back and he was amazed at just how hard the truck accelerated and stopped. It put a smile on my face =)

Sean
Did you do the ol' $100 bill trick to Dad? Tape a $100 to the dash and tell him once I hit the GO pedal I dare you to grab that bill.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Pepper2829
Junior User
WOW!! As always...
I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Had no idea you started another thread.
Excellent work!

Old 04-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Lucky Ones Customs
New User
Motor mounts

Originally Posted by Hackster1
Thanks man. More pics coming, quite a bit farther along, just not caught up on the build at all. Not sure about inner fenders, I like them on my truck, but they are pretty labor intensive. I am about that point now so Ill need to run it past him in the next few days. Do you think I could bond those panels together pretty easily like you have done?

Xchamp, yes, non EFI tank for now, it will be though and a pretty kickass fuel system. Frame is a pretty metallic grey but not charcoal. Ill see if I can find out what color it is.

So as I have some time the next few days Ill try and get this puppy up to speed.

A few pallets have been sitting at my real work, I finally got a chance to get out there and pick them up a little over a week ago.

It was a pretty cool couple pallets though

This is getting A/C so he ordered the engine with the Vintage Air front runner setup with power steering pump. It was quite possibly the second worst piece of aftermarket stuff I had to assemble. The instructions were super vague, included cutting off a boss from the side of the timing chain cover then grinding some of the gussets off the bosses on the timing chain cover, then drilling and tapping those two bosses to a larger size, no drill bits were included, no measurements of how much to grind from the gussets, no sizes of drill bits were included.

But the best part is that this has to be dissasembled to change or install a new belt. But its a nice piece, and its on the engine. I spent almost an entire day getting the engine off the pallet and getting the front runner setup installed.

Next up was the back end. I pulled off the flywheel to install the engine plate, cleaned everything up and reinstalled the flywheel to the specs. 177 inch lbs and 60 degrees of angle on the bolts. Centerforce dual friction clutch then.

Then bellhousing and Tranny next. Had a little drama with the clutch fork but got it ironed out. Sure is a nice looking setup.

A couple people have inquired about motor mounts for the coyote. I hate the ones on my truck, so I knew that these were going to be built from scratch, a little plate, some bushings and tube and BAAM....nice set of motor mounts to hold that baby in place.

I moved the engine back another inch from the tan truck, should give me a little more room for the condenser up front and push the shifter back a bit.

You can see how far back it is. Happy with where it sits in there.

Got to work on the transmission crossmember, modifying the stocker on this one, I think its a nice piece and should look good when its done.

I wanted adjust ability in the height of the transmission mount so I can dial in the engine angle, so I recessed the mount in the crossmember 1" and had a friend of mine lazer some shims for me and mill some slots in the transmission mount.

Its been too long since some dimple dies......the center two holes line up with the trans mount.

I also needed to get some additional clearance for the exhaust to go over this crossmember so I cut and plated some 6" .120 openings in the crossmember, turned out good for a modified factory crossmember.

Sean
Would you make and sell the motor mounts you build for the CV to Coyote motor? If so let me know.
Thanks

Old 04-24-2017, 11:56 AM
Hackster1
Senior User
Lucky Ones, I am not really in the market to build those parts and sell them, it doesnt really do me or you any favors as I cannot account for anything different in the vehicles or builds or other accessories, oil pans, steering rack configuations you get the idea. Not trying to be a pain but I feel like custom parts are way better built for the application rather than trying to take what works for someone else and bolt it right on.

So back at this thing for the last week or so and have made good progress.

I was finally able to finish up all of the plumbing for the brake system, again all nicopp lines and stainless hardware, I like how this system turned out a little bit cleaner than the Tan truck.

Name:  20170310_211928_zpswsw2vnxr.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  3.47 MB

Name:  20170310_211856_zpsnw0ylbwr.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  3.64 MB

The front sheetmetal came back from the painter so I got that all installed as well....talk about nerve racking with all of that fresh paint and stuff..

Name:  20170311_115907_zps99lqydit.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  3.76 MB

Name:  20170311_115951_zpsrbzi5g6c.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  3.12 MB

Name:  20170311_120017_zpsqjrlcvwd.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  3.26 MB

Name:  20170311_122411_zps1hjjtu8f.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  3.03 MB

Name:  20170410_164216_zpsfl101gv1.jpg
Views: 1755
Size:  2.53 MB

Got the frontend all situated where it needs to be, the power steering reservoir mounted up batter and battery mount all bolted on as well and started building my wires, alternator power to starter, ground cables are all custom cut to length and trying to keep them as clean as possible.

Name:  20170419_192957_zpstwmea0ff.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  3.70 MB

Keeping them blending in with the black but making sure the customer knows that these are the positive terminals even when not connected to the terminals.

Name:  20170419_193010_zps9jyg4hvn.jpg
Views: 1705
Size:  3.22 MB

Name:  20170419_193020_zpsax0lgvuc.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  3.52 MB

You can see all of the wiring tucked down on the framerail. This is where I mounted the fuse holder for the FRPP controls pack most all of the wires in the engine bay are ran at this time.

Name:  20170419_193031_zpsgihigyhs.jpg
Views: 1705
Size:  3.48 MB

So then I began on working on the main truck wiring, switched signal, ignition, what needed to be out to the engine bay and all that stuff. Here is what my madness looks like in action.

Name:  20170421_181135_zpsxtk9zlov.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  5.33 MB

And here is the finished product, super clean even on the inner fender wells,

Name:  20170422_181438_zpsizlzwy0m.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  3.28 MB

Just incase I dont remember to post up later, these colors look so awesome together and the finish level on this thing it top notch.

Name:  20170422_181456_zps6uwytdcg.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  3.70 MB

Also managed to finally get the wheels in house and mounted up with proper fitting valve stems. The centers will be painted to match the interior color of the truck. Wheels are super nice in a 19x10 with a 275 on all 4 corners. 3 piece wheels and very cool. You can see the rest of the wiring getting buttoned up.

Name:  20170422_181428_zpszjf0uk8d.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  3.35 MB

Name:  20170422_165754_zpszpjshdrc.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  4.92 MB

I also managed to get the drivers side mostly run, fuel pump wiring run, taillights mostly run and the wiring out through the cowl for that side. I have the parts for plumbing the power steering lines, just need the actual lines themselves and Ill be good to go.

I am shooting on having the truck ready to go back to the painter for them to do the sheetmetal work, put the bed on, do the glass fuel filler in the bed floor, AC and get the exhaust sorted out. It will come back to me for final assembly and other bits and startup and all that stuff as well.

Hope you guys enjoy and Happy Monday!!!

On, in my spare time have been working on this little project with my buddy Scoot.

Name:  20170423_212542_zpsuiwb2xht.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  3.94 MB

Its just about ready to fire up. 66 C10 pickup. We drove it in the shop in February and it should be running by the weekend =)

Sean

Old 04-24-2017, 02:54 PM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Great work! Fantastic inner fender paint. Did you have to wear white cotton gloves to avoid fingerprints? I love the dimple work on the tranny support. Hint: red heat shrink on positive wire never hurts. That spare-time project looks like fun too!

Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM
fswells
Freshman User
Dang, the truck is looking great. Making me want to re-work my whole brake system. Nice work as always!

I really appreciate that you take so much time to post this stuff, it really helps guys like me that are trying to do things better and cleaner on our projects but don't have the eye that you do.

-Forrest

Old 04-25-2017, 09:44 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Beautiful work as always. Planning on running dent fender liners to protect wiring?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Hackster1
Senior User
Originally Posted by GaryKip
Great work! Fantastic inner fender paint. Did you have to wear white cotton gloves to avoid fingerprints? I love the dimple work on the tranny support. Hint: red heat shrink on positive wire never hurts. That spare-time project looks like fun too!
Thanks for the kind words and words of advice, I am always open to new ideas. Working around the inner fenders is quite a task, I have to be super careful and to be honest, I try to just not touch them at all. I agree about the red heat shrink, I just dont think it needs to scream red....if you look closely you will see about an 1/8" strip of red heat shring on each of the positive battery terminals, its the marine heat shrink and is essentially glued onto the other main heat shrink. Trying to hide them as much as I can from your eye going directly to the battery cables themselves.

Originally Posted by fswells
Dang, the truck is looking great. Making me want to re-work my whole brake system. Nice work as always!

I really appreciate that you take so much time to post this stuff, it really helps guys like me that are trying to do things better and cleaner on our projects but don't have the eye that you do.

-Forrest
Thanks man!!! The brake stuff is getting better with each truck or car project. I used to hate brake stuff, now its not too bad and I actually enjoy a well thought out and executed braking system.

Hope all the FTE Peeps are having a good week.

Sean

Old 04-25-2017, 11:05 AM
lizardman1
Laughing Gas
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts
Most impressive hacking skills, love this thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:15 PM
monkey-1
Laughing Gas
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Sean, I have seen this one on Instagram but didn't know that you had a build thread on here. Glad to be able to follow along. Keep the updates coming.

Quick Reply: Hackster's Build #3 Roush Racing Coyote, Ridetech, 4 link, Tremec goodness