Percentage of max tow

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:22 AM
marcortez
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Percentage of max tow

My current tow config is 7800# max tow based on model, engine and axle ratio.
My rig has the tow package, "E" rated LT tires and Firestone airbags.
2014 F-150 Super Cab, 4x4, 5.0, 3.55

I want to buy a travel trailer.
How far would YOU push it regarding the weight of a TT?
I have heard about 20% of rated capacity.
Is that reasonable?

20% of 7800# is 1560# leaving 6240# for max tow.
I feel close to 6000# would be doable.
What say the experts?

Old 11-23-2016, 10:24 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
You can do the whole rating. Remember with a proper setup like weight dist hitch and brakes on the trailer it is very safe and within margins

Old 11-23-2016, 10:30 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
You can do the whole rating. Remember with a proper setup like weight dist hitch and brakes on the trailer it is very safe and within margins
Agree!

Steve

Old 11-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Sparks123
Junior User
You should be able to tow to max rating although at the top end of the tow rating you will probably run out of payload first. The issue will be will you be comfortable with it. I towed my 28BHBE (6700lb dry) with my 2015 3.5 EB without any problems. The issue I had was that I felt that the truck was to light in heavy cross winds with the huge sail in the back, but that is just me. It may not bother you at all so as I said it depends on what you are comfortable with. The truck will tow it.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:02 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sparks123
You should be able to tow to max rating although at the top end of the tow rating you will probably run out of payload first. The issue will be will you be comfortable with it. I towed my 28BHBE (6700lb dry) with my 2015 3.5 EB without any problems. The issue I had was that I felt that the truck was to light in heavy cross winds with the huge sail in the back, but that is just me. It may not bother you at all so as I said it depends on what you are comfortable with. The truck will tow it.
From talking to folks, that is the most common negative I hear when towing with an F150.

Steve

Old 11-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Sparks123
Junior User
I was pleasantly surprised with how well the EB F150 towed. It towed my trailer great and it is at the upper limit of what I would consider for a F150 but my preference is for a heavier truck if you tow longer distances. Short distances I think it would be ok in the wind. It is just my own preference. Some people I have seen is not bothered by the heavy cross winds, but I was and that is why I said it comes down to personal preference.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:57 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Given that I was going to be pulling 11,000 lbs over 11,000' mountain passes I wanted to keep my trailer to 80% or less than the towing capacity of the truck. The 2016 Superduty pickups that I looked at on the lot would not fit that limitation. Most of them had a stated towing capacity of 11,500. With the higher capacity of the 2017 I'm going to be just fine.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:58 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Given that I was going to be pulling 11,000 lbs over 11,000' mountain passes I wanted to keep my trailer to 80% or less than the towing capacity of the truck. The 2016 Superduty pickups that I looked at on the lot would not fit that limitation. Most of them had a stated towing capacity of 11,500. With the higher capacity of the 2017 I'm going to be just fine.
I think what you are saying here is to not only consider ratings, but also how the package is going to be used. Most anything can do short distances on no more than moderate grades, but there may be more comfort in having some cushion when things move to the hard working range.

Steve

Old 11-24-2016, 08:01 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have never understood the 20 percent rule. These trucks cost a lot of money. You should be able to get your money's worth.

These trucks are test driven well over the gvw, and payload. Thousands of miles. Construction companies overload trucks everyday. The only issue I have is the safety aspect with braking and suspension. As long as the trailer brakes are properly maintained along with the trucks suspension and brakes, max it out if you need to.

But with that all said, if I were looking at maxing out the gvw and gcvw, I would add some help to the rear suspension, get the best wdh, and make sure I had good cooling for the transmission.

The majority of breakdowns I have seen are tires and transmissions. The majority of single vehicle crashes were vehicles with travel trailers and caused by trailer sway. Sometimes trailers were confirmed to be overloaded, but most were not checked if it no other party was involved.

Most crashes are determined to be driver error. Driving to fast for conditions, overloaded, and inattention. Or all the above.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:23 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I have heard both the 20% and also the 10% rule. And, I agree these trucks will handle their ratings. It would be interesting to know how weight and conditions actually affect longevity. It would seem, for example, an engine turning fewer RPM would last longer than one turning at the red line, if that difference was maintained for substantial periods of time. It also would be the case, we are normally advised not to "lug" the engine or just letting an engine idle for prolong periods, which would argue against simple conclusions about RPM.

There are so many variables here it is hard to make a "one size fits all statement".

Steve

Old 11-24-2016, 08:49 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I have heard both the 20% and also the 10% rule. And, I agree these trucks will handle their ratings. It would be interesting to know how weight and conditions actually affect longevity. It would seem, for example, an engine turning fewer RPM would last longer than one turning at the red line, if that difference was maintained for substantial periods of time. It also would be the case, we are normally advised not to "lug" the engine or just letting an engine idle for prolong periods, which would argue against simple conclusions about RPM.

There are so many variables here it is hard to make a "one size fits all statement".

Steve
Absolutely Steve.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:41 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
I look at it this way. That same truck, with VERY minor tweaks is rated to tow more than 12,000 lbs. To me, the things that matter are brakes, TBC, and anti-sway. As far as I know, there are no differences in those between F150 models.

So I would say for your truck, I know I would be comfortable doing 100% and more of the rating. Especially if it's a short trailer, like for hauling gravel or something. The guys above are right that payload is likely to be your limiting factor.

The reverse of that is that I would be uncomfortable with a really long travel trailer behind the F150 no matter what the rating. I've seen people pulling 32' trailers, and that kind of length and side-area can cause big problems.

So in summary, it depends.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:11 AM
marcortez
Freshman User
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I look at it this way. That same truck, with VERY minor tweaks is rated to tow more than 12,000 lbs. .
If you're referring to the OP's rig (me) the tow ratings were taken from the Ford spec sheet for model year 2014.

Not sure how one gets to 12K tow capacity from the published 7800# rating....even with those minor tweaks?

Old 11-26-2016, 02:07 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
I'm not saying YOU can make any tweaks to change the factory tow rating. What I mean is that when ford makes those small tweaks at the factory, the published tow rating goes up.

I understand why it works that way, but to me, it seems silly to apply the same arbitrary percentage derating to a truck that's at 7800# as a nearly identical truck that's rated at 12,200#.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:12 PM
marcortez
Freshman User
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I'm not saying YOU can make any tweaks to change the factory tow rating. What I mean is that when ford makes those small tweaks at the factory, the published tow rating goes up.

I understand why it works that way, but to me, it seems silly to apply the same arbitrary percentage derating to a truck that's at 7800# as a nearly identical truck that's rated at 12,200#.
Ah ha......I get it now and thanks.

Quick Reply: Percentage of max tow