2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

First Report - 2017 dually snow performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:29 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
First Report - 2017 dually snow performance

I've heard a lot of negative things about dually pickups not going well in snow. This 2017 is my first dually. I've had 4 other SRW Super Duty trucks all in the same config: CCSB, gas and diesel. The SRW trucks go poorly in snow when in 2WD without weight in the bed. The Continental ContiTrac TR tires are like banana skins on packed snow covered hilly roads. The Michelin LTX AT2 are only marginally better. So, I've always run studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires. Even then, an empty bed and 2WD up hills doesn't work well.

Last night I had the opportunity (well not optional, actually) to drive 100 miles round trip in near white-out conditions in central VT. My dually is 100% stock, with Michelin LTX AT2 tires, no weight in the bed, and has the factory limited slip. The truck went better than any of the previous SRW trucks I've had, at least without the studded snows. I was very impressed! There are several long uphill stretches. I was able to make it up the first hill in 2WD comfortably, never saw a traction warning light. The second hill had about 6" of snow covering a plowed surface and the traction light started to flash. It was still going up the hill, but you could feel the back end get a little loose. 4WD engaged, and the truck comfortably went the rest of the way.

Thoughts: perhaps the aluminum has lightened up the front end more than the rear, giving a better weight distribution. Perhaps the rear axle weighs more than before. I also had near 48 gallons in the factory fuel tank.

As someone who has derided limited slips as "useless" in the past, I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance of this LS in both dirt and now snow conditions. It is not nearly as good as the locker, but it is fully automatic and more smooth. I've also found the traction control assists the limited slip and is more effective together than just traction control alone.

2017 is the first year that full stability control and full brake and throttle based traction control is offered on the dually. It doesn't seem to work any better than the same system offered on SRW trucks of the last gen, but it is nice to have this feature on the dually.

Finally, the LED lights did not get covered with ice build-up as we had worried about. In fact, they are awesome in snow...the light reflects off the snow and is brighter than ever.

Hopefully this is helpful to anyone contemplating how a dually might be in snow.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:04 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear this. After driving a 4x2 Drudge nose heavy Cummins (Just shoot me) through some remarkable blizzards, this sounds like a breeze. My Cummins would get stuck in 4" and refuse to go! Then I added 700Lbs of Logs to the back and it improved the traction somewhat... as long as you kept the forward momentum up. Traveling the interstate had it's own set of rules. Follow an 18-Wheeler or a State Plow truck and hope you didn't have to stop anywhere along the road. Ok, Rant off.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Although my truck is a 2013 drw with the dana super 80 ls I have found that it performs very well in the snow. Good report.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:17 AM
Mgjfam
Senior User
I've got an F350 SRW ordered...but I've had a limited slip dual rear wheel Dodge Cummins for the past 15 years---I use it with a BOSS V plow.

WITH A V PLOW:
1. With an empty bed in 2WD it's pathetic on snow.
2. Then empty bed 4WD it's good up to about 6 inches of snow.
3. Then PROPERLY WEIGHTED (meaning very dense weight (like sandbags)---firewood etc. is not dense enough. You must place ALL of the weight from over the axle rearward to the tailgate----placing weight forward of the rear axle is useless. In this configuration my dually is UNSTOPPABLE. I plow my mile long private lane....I've been able to go thru as much as 2 feet plus snow with the plow in the V position.

WITHOUT A SNOWPLOW:
I assume that the same principles of bed weighting a dually apply whether or not you have a snowplow. Excellent on snow if properly weighted in 4WD.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:31 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
2017 is the first year that full stability control and full brake and throttle based traction control is offered on the dually.
I have stability and traction control on my truck what do you think is different?

As for snow? it goes, maybe not as good as the first Power Wagons I drove with the skinny big lug tires form years ago, but it goes reasonably well.
Deep unplowed snow can be a challenge. The front tires are making tracks and at the rear the inner and outer tires are traveling over two different snow packs. The inner tire riding in the front track and the outer tire making a new track.

I got my truck in December 2009. That winter we had 4 major storms dumping 2'+
In the really deep stuff I found that as long as I could keep momentum, the truck would go, but if I stopped, I was stuck, having to back up and re-try. And the air dam has been reattached at least once a season.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:26 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by porthole
I have stability and traction control on my truck what do you think is different?
Nah, you really don't. The traction control button you have only reduces engine throttle when the wheels slip. It has no brake intervention.

The brake and throttle based traction control can actually shift torque away from a spinning wheel over to the opposite wheel which may have traction.

2017 is the first year a dually could be had with brake-based traction control.

I also believe you do not have stability control. Stability control requires brake intervention. If it had that ability you would have the full traction control as well.

Here's a link which states only SRW trucks have stability control: 2016 Ford Super Duty | View Super Duty Features | Ford.com

And here's another link from the same page showing how you only have throttle based traction control: 2016 Ford Super Duty | View Super Duty Features | Ford.com

The duallys kind of got screwed in the previous generation on stability and traction control, considering the SRW models all had both features.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:41 PM
sail2xs
Freshman User
Thanks for the report troverman! This is my first dually too and while we don't get much snow here in Maryland, I was worried about snow performance after reading that this is a weak point for DRWs.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:45 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by sail2xs
Thanks for the report troverman! This is my first dually too and while we don't get much snow here in Maryland, I was worried about snow performance after reading that this is a weak point for DRWs.
Glad to have posted something helpful! Personally I was very pleased. I'm going to make a go of running the stock tires this winter after last night's performance. Its not invincible, and I haven't had the opportunity to drive it in really deep snow yet, but so far so good.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:02 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Now I don't remember the last time I was in snow.
Hill assist (hold) was something not available on the DRW's yet my truck has it.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by porthole
Now I don't remember the last time I was in snow.
Hill assist (hold) was something not available on the DRW's yet my truck has it.
I think the Dana S80 axle was the limiting factor on why the DRWs could not have brake-based traction / stability control. The axles are shocked hard during a traction or stability event. Having all the weight of two wheels and rims on each side getting the brakes slammed on repeatedly could potentially break a half-shaft.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:57 PM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to have posted something helpful! Personally I was very pleased. I'm going to make a go of running the stock tires this winter after last night's performance. Its not invincible, and I haven't had the opportunity to drive it in really deep snow yet, but so far so good.
I have ran the stock bfg's that are on my 2011 drw from new in the snow and work just fine i do put around 800 lbs in the box for the winter
That being said i'm now looking for a replacement tires for my new f-450 when it comes in as from what i'm reading about the continental hsr's that come on it are no good for winter use they are rated as a summer tire

Old 12-09-2016, 04:11 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks troverman, we had snow and freezing rain here the last couple days...I chickened out and just stayed home until it melted. If you slide off our country roads you will be in a ditch or trees and your truck will be broke as ****. No shoulder at all a few inches most places.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:13 AM
troverman
Hotshot
**Update**

So we've had two more storms since the first report, including the one still coming down now. I had to drive to a job this morning.

I'm becoming less pleased. The back end is sliding around considerably as it is empty. Having to start from a complete stop on a hill, even in 4H, with fresh snow on top of packed plowed, is actually a bit of a struggle. It makes it, but it is spinning and tail wagging a bit with anything other than just gentle acceleration.

The stock Michelins are OK for what they are. I think my decision has been made and I'll be investing in some Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2's by this weekend.

Interestingly, it seems I had a little hub problem this morning. I'd been in 4H all morning, and then when I finally get to work and put it in reverse, backing straight up, the wheel is kicking and binding. I pulled forward, seemed OK, put it in 2WD, then back to 4H, and reverse. This time, only the rears spun. Pulled forward, and then you could feel the clunk as 4H engaged. Seems fine now.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
So we've had two more storms since the first report, including the one still coming down now. I had to drive to a job this morning.

I'm becoming less pleased. The back end is sliding around considerably as it is empty. Having to start from a complete stop on a hill, even in 4H, with fresh snow on top of packed plowed, is actually a bit of a struggle. It makes it, but it is spinning and tail wagging a bit with anything other than just gentle acceleration.

The stock Michelins are OK for what they are. I think my decision has been made and I'll be investing in some Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2's by this weekend.

Interestingly, it seems I had a little hub problem this morning. I'd been in 4H all morning, and then when I finally get to work and put it in reverse, backing straight up, the wheel is kicking and binding. I pulled forward, seemed OK, put it in 2WD, then back to 4H, and reverse. This time, only the rears spun. Pulled forward, and then you could feel the clunk as 4H engaged. Seems fine now.

Manually lock the hubs in till the snow is gone. Just use the switch to engage into 4hi or 4lo.

When it gets really cold the hubs sometimes won't hold the vacuum.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:00 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by senix
Manually lock the hubs in till the snow is gone. Just use the switch to engage into 4hi or 4lo.

When it gets really cold the hubs sometimes won't hold the vacuum.
I had this thought as well...but it is a brand new truck! And, although it was cold last weekend, today is in the 20's! Not that cold.

Quick Reply: First Report - 2017 dually snow performance