Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 10:43 PM
BK50
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust System Questions

I own a 99 PSD w/a automatic trans and was wondering what I should do for more power and performance? My truck does not have a converter on it and I though this was wierd but my buddy at the dealership said some early PSD's didn't have a converter,so should I just pull the muffler out and run free flow or up the diameter of the pipes from the turbo all the way out or ? My truck seems to be stock the computor has the factory tape on it still so it seems to be unaltered along with the factory exhaust system,what do you guys recommend?

Bill

Old 08-24-2003, 10:51 PM
PSD_Power
Elder User
Exhaust System Questions

depends how much money ya got

full exhaust 750+-
straight pipe it 40+-
programer 300+-

I would deffinatly do guages first though!!!

I got good power out of the exhaust and the programer. I think exhaust should come before a chip though, so it can breath easyer. Good luck!!

Old 08-25-2003, 10:09 PM
Fordman4x4
Senior User
Exhaust System Questions

I had mine straight piped for about a week untill i got my exhaust on. Let me tell it's loud as hell. Sounds like a loud open V-8 till the turbo spools up then it's all turbo whistle...also in the winter when the exhaust valve is closedes on the turbo she really screams for 5-10 mins untill it warms up

PSD_Power, has you right on track, that's what i did too. Then you want more, more, more...

Nelson

Old 08-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Powerstroke99 7.3
Freshman User
Exhaust System Questions

Straight pipe it. It sounds like a CAT Motor, also you will get the most airflow and less back pressure which means more Horse. reprogramers and chips get the Most HP for the least amount of money. basics and common bolt ons are

exhaust
Chip
Cold-air-intake

but those are standard upgrades, if you want to out do just about everybody, you looking at bucks

Injectors (90 HP) $2,400
Turbos $1,000-2,400
Innercooler $1,000
Ported cylinder heads, and exhaust Manifolds,
you need to pull the motor. bill will be $2,000-3,000

but by then you will have over 500 hp. but still it depends on cash.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:52 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Exhaust System Questions

[i]Innercooler $1,000
[/B]
He already has an intercooler since it's a 99.

Here is what I would recommend for the first couple of mods:

1. Tymar air intake

2. New exhaust system-4" from downpipe back and new turbo downpipe

3. gauges-get gauges before you do any mods past intake and exhaust

4. chip or tuner

After that you could go with upgraded injectors, propane, etc. The list never seems to end, just the money!

Old 08-27-2003, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke99 7.3
Freshman User
Exhaust System Questions

ATS makes a replacement for the intercooler. It runs 20-30 % cooler than stock. stock does just fine but if you will build it you might want to consider it. If you want your diesel to last, stay away from propane and NOS. it will eat your motor, unless you drag but if you are using the truck as a daily driver, I would stay away. Get the standards like johnsdiesel said and then talk to a diesel performance tech for more power and in more detail.

Old 08-27-2003, 08:31 PM
DIESEL_RACER
Freshman User
Exhaust System Questions

I'd go with these things -

1. 4" stainless exhaust
2. Chip or programmer - how extreme is up to you.
3. New Intake - AFE, or WD Ram Air
4. New Turbo - once you ride in a truck with the new Garrett Ball bearing turbo, you'll instantly be converted to "the dark side" and will never go back. ;D
5. New injectors Stage II (or III for those of us who have joined "the dark side")

I'd leave the innercooler until last. Right now my truck is turning over 500rwhp on the stock innercooler.

I'm not going to try and tell you how to spend your money, but I'd recommend to free up the breating 1st, and then move on to adding more fuel.

Ken

Old 08-27-2003, 10:42 PM
Fordman4x4
Senior User
Exhaust System Questions

Do you really think propane can hurt your motor???

Old 08-28-2003, 06:42 AM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust System Questions

Any added performance can destroy your motor in time .usually shorter than if you left it stock.

Old 08-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Fordman4x4
Senior User
Exhaust System Questions

Well yea, in time your losing some longevity, but destroy...i don't think so, unless your petal to the metal-crazy...especially if you put some thought into your mods.

My question was about propane specificly

thanks

Nelson

Old 08-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke99 7.3
Freshman User
Exhaust System Questions

well, like I said, for the daily driver propane is probably not the best way to gain power and have your motor last 300,000. I am not saying DONT Use it, but just be cautious if you do use it. the system usaually burns 1 gallon of porpane to every 4-5 gallons of diesel. I have talked to many Performance and other diesel mechanics and a lot of them say, unless you drag race all the time and you dont mind working on your truck, then stay away from it. but it is just how you feel on the subject. I compare Propane to Nitrious, it injects into your fuel mixture and I dont know if you ever have seen what Nitrous over time does to a motor. But I am staying away from it because there are other, non-risk ways of getting the power. when I get another daily driver truck and then turn my F350 PSD into just a around town, showoff truck, yea, I would install it because it is not my main truck. for under $800 you can get a propane set up and that is cheaper than injectors, turbo, etc. so it is tempting.

That is how I feel on propane.
I like my truck to be Drug free

Old 08-28-2003, 07:22 PM
CHACH
Senior User
Exhaust System Questions

I have a 93 7.3 ... can you buy this stuff for it too ?? Programmer and exhaust. I looked and the exhaust years started in 94?? Is there a difference ??

Thx