2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Pictures - 2017 F250 vs F350 Rear Axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 11:13 PM
ruphianh
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
PS: You ordering or buying soon? Congrats if so...
Email to the dealership w/ build specs for the F350. I'll be buying sooner than later.

After very light pricing research, I'm able to get invoice minus the ford offers.

Where should I be biting for pricing offers? Anyone getting thousands under invoice?

Old 11-14-2016, 06:43 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
I think your in a good place price wise there.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:37 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by ruphianh
Email to the dealership w/ build specs for the F350. I'll be buying sooner than later.

After very light pricing research, I'm able to get invoice minus the ford offers.

Where should I be biting for pricing offers? Anyone getting thousands under invoice?
I got X plan + $1000 Ford incentive + $500 military + $750 EAA but had a stackable provision, not all are...

Old 11-14-2016, 08:58 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for the last few posters. Are we talking 10 to 15% off sticker?

Old 11-14-2016, 09:01 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jerry Weigel
I am surprised no one has mention the affect the GVWR rating on the truck has on CDL requirements. In the old days, you might get into an issue with DRW trucks and heavier trailers. Current SRW 3/4 - 1T almost all push you into a CDL with their standard GVWR ratings and a 16K trailer....or lets say the max rated trailer the truck is rated for.

In general, the states I have traveled (equipment trailers....not travel trailers) a CDL kicks in when the sum of the pickup GVWR and the trailer GVWR becomes 26,001 or greater.

So if you have a 16K trailer which is very common and not a larger heavy trailer by amy means (majority of the stock and horse trailers are at this or higher).....ONLY a F350 with the 10K GVWR option keeps you just under the requirement of CDL. All other GM, Ram and Fords you do not specifically add the 10K option push you over the 26,001.

If you run or work for a large organization or Govt., and your staff need CDLS to work, you are required to have them in a drug testing program.

Can you see that the 10K option has a place to get a factory truck to do a job and yet not require a CDL.

In our case we have a fleet of 4 trailers that weigh loaded around 13K but are tagged 16K because of the axles. We have been towing these same trailers for over 25 years. In the late 1980s, and 1990s there was no issues with CDL as SRW trucks were 8600 and DRW where 10K. Sometime in the early 2000s the first ford SRW trucks started to show up with a 11K rating. All of a sudden we needed drivers to get CDLs. The load didn't change just a rating on the truck. Then drug testing came into play.....yuk. Then Ford started to offer the 10K rating option (same exact truck as the 11.4, just a differnet sticker). Finally some common sense prevailed and we can return to no CDLs,no drug testing to tow the same 25 yr old trailers.

Sorry this go a little long.

jjw
ND
Regardless of the trucks rating, if the trailer has a gvwr of 10k or higher you need a cdl for business use. A lot of people get away with it, but they can get you on it.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 AM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you get invoice you are in a good spot. If you get a little lower than you are starting to get the dealers hold back and are getting a really good deal.

Right now you aren't going to get a lot below invoice (including with incentives.)
The best deal for a normal person would probably be the x plan + $1k rebate + $750 EAA Bonus cash. X plan is fairly close to invoice. Dealers might be a little better than this if they are dipping into their profits. The $750 extra is the nice part about the EAA x-plan, the regular x plan pricing (without the $750) can usually be beat or matched by dealer.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:25 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by oklarado
Question for the last few posters. Are we talking 10 to 15% off sticker?
When its said and done and you arrive at your final discount your target is about 8% +/-...I know there are posters out there who make some staggering claims, I have read as much as 24%. You can douse that fire real quick by asking for the dealer name and location and point of contact they bought from.

There are some large companies that buy heavy Fleet, 25++++ and they can sometimes pass on those to the employees. I have a friend who buys about 40 +/- every year and the dealer will include in the order any trucks his employees wish to order, but its a tight window of opportunity as the Fleet order must include the orders for the employees at the same time. I think (?) his discount (which varies from year to to year slightly) runs about 18% +/-.

IIRC I think with my X plan and the stacking my discount off MSRP was 8.65%. And this was on a lot truck. Got a call from the dealer the day it arrived and I drove it out the next day. Some dealers will go to the mat to move a car in the first few days.

With RARE exceptions all auto dealers have what is called a "Floor Plan". In short this is the % rate they pay based upon a daily rate to have that car sit on the lot. The faster they sell the more money they make...which begs the question as to why do some dealers have cars on the lot for months and months?

I was looking at buying a '16 back in June and I found one, but it was used but only 6 mo old. They were asking $58,995. I walked and about a week later got a call and they came down to $58,500 I said no, I could buy brand new '16 at that price. It has over 10k miles on it and have no idea what he carried in the bed of that truck, but it was destroyed. I drive by that dealer about once a week and that truck is still sitting on the front row and they have not dropped the price??????

Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jdunk54nl
If you get invoice you are in a good spot. If you get a little lower than you are starting to get the dealers hold back and are getting a really good deal.

Right now you aren't going to get a lot below invoice (including with incentives.)
The best deal for a normal person would probably be the x plan + $1k rebate + $750 EAA Bonus cash. X plan is fairly close to invoice. Dealers might be a little better than this if they are dipping into their profits. The $750 extra is the nice part about the EAA x-plan, the regular x plan pricing (without the $750) can usually be beat or matched by dealer.
My dealer calulated both the EAA X plan vs Invoice. The EAA beat Invoice by IIRC $165 I think, then I got all the incentives.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:16 PM
ruphianh
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
My dealer calulated both the EAA X plan vs Invoice. The EAA beat Invoice by IIRC $165 I think, then I got all the incentives.
Good to know. The invoice and under is a good deal then. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:55 AM
RMVA
Freshman User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since this post, does anyone have Dana's on the '17 F250/350?

I have a F250 with High Cap Towing and have Dana front and rear. However, I haven't been able to find any info about them online. They're D365a. I can snap a pic if needed.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:40 AM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I ordered the 3.55 electric locker, which automatically added the heavy duty front suspension, the camper package, and the HD trailer package. Reading this thread confirmed my choices.

I do some commercial work with my truck. I have my Class B, but the 10,000# GVWR slips me under most big truck regs. Among other things, in most states I get to drive right by all of the scale houses.

My dealer went straight to invoice + incentives.
I've seen the EAA x-plan mentioned before, but Whats the 750 EAA?
Is there a web page where the different incentives are listed?

Old 04-23-2017, 01:31 AM
RMVA
Freshman User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I misunderstood this thread. I thought all the F250's came with Ford/Sterling axles and with the High Cap Tow pkg it came with a upgraded Dana rear... but some who ordered that package didn't get a Dana, they got a heavy duty Sterling variant.

I went through a re-read the thread and see some initially thought the same.

So only gas trucks get Sterling axles? Does a regular F250 6.7 w/o High Cap Tow get Sterling's too?

Old 04-10-2018, 10:55 AM
dsp99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call ford parts at your dealer. They can tell you exactly what the truck has based on the VIN and you can put the question to rest.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:49 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RMVA
I misunderstood this thread. I thought all the F250's came with Ford/Sterling axles and with the High Cap Tow pkg it came with a upgraded Dana rear... but some who ordered that package didn't get a Dana, they got a heavy duty Sterling variant.

I went through a re-read the thread and see some initially thought the same.

So only gas trucks get Sterling axles? Does a regular F250 6.7 w/o High Cap Tow get Sterling's too?

To answer your last question above.......YES....only the H/D 250....which is only available in diesel ....gets the Dana...

Old 04-10-2018, 01:11 PM
dsp99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kev, hate to add to the confusion but I was told the same but ..... my F250 Plat was ordered with max towing, 5th wheel prep (which Ford adds an extra crossmember), the camper pkg, plow prep, 6.7, 20" wheels (E rated), 3.55 gear and the VIN check with dealer confirmed it came with the STERLING 10.5 rear axle ring gear vs Dana275 of 10.8. That said, allegedly, the Sterling 10.5 rear is GAWR is 9750 lbs, as per a number of google search findings and replaced the Dana 70 rear axle. Leaf pack on the F250 stock seems to be where the biggest limiting factor on rear GAWR. Add leafs to the leaf pack and have 20" e-rated A/T tires and your not at the top end of payload of the same spec F350 but one seems to have much more room to play with with the F250.

Quick Reply: Pictures - 2017 F250 vs F350 Rear Axle