Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Can't find the hole!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 02:20 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Glad it was User error. But seriously, glad you got it sorted out.

biz

Old 11-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally figured it out after about 30 minutes of "screwing around" due to poor documentation in the manual. Trial & error revealed that there are two sizes of square-ends on these snap together rods, a small male and large female. You need to insert the LARGE SQUARE FEMALE end of the rod into the bumper, and angle it slightly towards the drivers side to engage the winch mechanism. (on my Escape, it is the opposite, you use the pointed end) I spray painted the end that goes into the winch and drew an arrow on it to remind myself and any roadside tire change person for next time.

Is the FORD rep listening to this thread? Some simple wording improvements in the spare tire release instructions in the manual would have eliminated a lot of frustration!!
Can you please fix the manual to make this clear or are buyers expected to be born with this knowledge. :-(
Spare is now inflated properly and winch cable lightly greased to prevent seizing. Mission accomplished! :-)

Old 11-02-2016, 07:11 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
Finally figured it out after about 30 minutes of "screwing around" due to poor documentation in the manual. Trial & error revealed that there are two sizes of square-ends on these snap together rods, a small male and large female. You need to insert the LARGE SQUARE FEMALE end of the rod into the bumper, and angle it slightly towards the drivers side to engage the winch mechanism. (on my Escape, it is the opposite, you use the pointed end) I spray painted the end that goes into the winch and drew an arrow on it to remind myself and any roadside tire change person for next time.

Is the FORD rep listening to this thread? Some simple wording improvements in the spare tire release instructions in the manual would have eliminated a lot of frustration!!
Can you please fix the manual to make this clear or are buyers expected to be born with this knowledge. :-(
Spare is now inflated properly and winch cable lightly greased to prevent seizing. Mission accomplished! :-)
. I agree, the manual and the literature on the tool kit is inadequate, I took a picture of the drive on the tire winch, glad I didn't have to figure this out on the side of the road.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
yes this could have been quite a swear-fest on a cold, snowy night in the dark with a flat!

Old 11-03-2016, 12:51 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thorium
I just did this last tuesday on my new truck, it sounds like your close. If you look at the lug wrench, you'll see the square key hole, it can only go over the smaller end of the 3 piece rod ends. I ended up only needing to join 2 rods together, the larger end of the square is the one that you insert into the mouth/opening of plastic cone that lead you to the winch mechanism, the smaller end get the wrench that you'll use to lower/raise the tire. You can feel the rod engage by hand, but you'll end up using the wrench to assist with the procedure. Good luck
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat

Guess you didnt read my post? Good luck with the trip

Old 11-03-2016, 06:27 AM
Hackenbush
Laughing Gas

Received 166 Likes on 101 Posts
Cant Find The Hole
Man I avoided this post for four days and then when I opened it, This was the first post I saw.

Originally Posted by j.grif
Push on the tool and rotate, it should engage at some point.
Got me thinking that someone really likes their truck way too much....
Glad it went another direction.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:40 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^LOL, I love my Ford truck! My mistake was not taking all the pieces to the puzzle out and looking at all of it with my brain engaged!

Old 11-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
nothin wrong with a little push & rotate once in awhile. '-)