Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Reprograming older PSDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 04:35 PM
gameboynws
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reprograming older PSDs

I got a first generation 99 and i was wondering it would be beneficial to have Ford upgrade the computer program to the latest version for that peticular HP & TRQ rating. Dealer says it can be done and should cost less than 100 bucks.

Not looking for extra horse but more throttle response. The second generation 99 and 2k that i have driven have better throttle response than mine.

Also wondering if I should replace the sensor in the gas peddle assebmly. I have herd that it makes a difference.

PS. I tow too much weight to use any kind of chip or aftermarket programmer, and i dont want to do exhaust and the whole nine yards.

Old 08-24-2003, 12:50 AM
hughesm1
Senior User
Reprograming older PSDs

I take it your 99 has not been to the dealer in quite some time, if ever?

I've heard that when you take it to the dealer for literally anything they will flash your PCM to the latest revision whether you like it or not.

What kind of mileage are you getting with your current program and which program is it?

Old 08-26-2003, 05:33 PM
gameboynws
Senior User
Reprograming older PSDs

My best guess is that i am running the stock program that came with the truck. It has been a couple of years since Mother Ford has seen the truck, cant remember the last time in fact.

first gen 99, Auto and 4.10 rear end

Mileage Empty: 15-17 mpg @ 65 - 75 mph.

Milage Towing upto 22 - 24k lbs combined weight:
8 - 10 mpg @ 65 - 75 mph.

Old 08-26-2003, 06:44 PM
skuteman
Elder User
Reprograming older PSDs

you need an f450 for that much weight in my opinion.I'll disagree with you about the exhaust. If you install a Tymar type air filter and a complete 4" exhaust system you are going to enhance the performance of your engine ...WITHOUT...reducing its Longivity. You'll spend around 800 or so but it is worth it. In addition , You should have a set of accurate gauges for your truck given the fact that your pulling that much weight. sk