1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

console questions/options/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 04:10 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
console questions/options/opinions

I got back around to working or at least thinking about the console and I'm considering the top. I know there are some craftsmen and console experienced builders so I'm asking for info/opinion

first pic is the unfinished sections
2nd and 3rd pic show options on top placement

I'm looking for other ideas, suggestions, opinions, things I'm forgetting. I will receive wise *** comments and sarcasm and even constructive criticism... which might result in the same reply

A: things I know
there will be two cup holders in the lower flat part
there will be some number of switches (4-6) in the panel with the cup holders... doors/windows/hood/etc
there will be a radio in the sloped part either single or double din
a power outlet or two will either be in the lower console or possible in the front face of the arm rest part (not pictured)

B: things I don't know and my main concerns
should the top panel be set into the box (supported by blocks or angled strips, upholstered as a separate piece and held in place by fancy screws or velcro from the bottom or ... made to overlay the box by 1/4"-1/2"
see pictures...
what should the top be constructed of... I wonder if using 1/2" mdf might cause me problems with switch depth and mounting
sheet aluminum (maybe 1/8") and then inset in box...
other ??

C: Misc.
have yet to decide on floor lighting and speakers but there is room for 6" on each side of the box or in the kick panels... I'm not needing amps or woofers or any high power/noise equipment... just some tunes/cds

If you've got any other ideas... I"m wide open as a yard gate

j

Attached Images    
Old 10-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
A few things I would add if it was me...
  • Storage compartment - for registration and Proof of Insurance since you closed off your glove box.
  • USB charging for your phone or other device
  • Input Jacks - 1/8" and USB connected to your radio
  • Storage bin for phone, sunglasses, exc. under head unit.
  • Fuse Block for everything in the center console.

Switches should be higher or separated from the cup holders, Don't want anything that leaks or spills from your cups don't short things out.

I like recessed faceplates. As far as faceplate materials I like textured plastic (ease of drilling, cutting, filing, exc.). A great way to finish things off is a thin piece of stainless/aluminum around the outside. I like vinyl on the sides and arm rest.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:36 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 on the storage. You have a lot of space under the armrest there. Use it. MDF is nice and flat and smooth but I don't think it will hold a screw too well. Maybe a nice piece of 3/4 AC plywood for the lid on the armrest. If you put the speakers in the sides you might only be able to hear the one on your side, in the kick panels might be better. Vinyl would be easy to clean but it might make your arm sweaty. Just my 2

Old 10-26-2016, 08:48 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
A few things I would add if it was me...
  • Storage compartment - for registration and Proof of Insurance since you closed off your glove box.
  • USB charging for your phone or other device
  • Input Jacks - 1/8" and USB connected to your radio
  • Storage bin for phone, sunglasses, exc. under head unit.
  • Fuse Block for everything in the center console.

Switches should be higher or separated from the cup holders, Don't want anything that leaks or spills from your cups don't short things out.

I like recessed faceplates. As far as faceplate materials I like textured plastic (ease of drilling, cutting, filing, exc.). A great way to finish things off is a thin piece of stainless/aluminum around the outside. I like vinyl on the sides and arm rest.
good ideas Moe... the switches can be moved up under the radio..no prob
the arm rest is now my glove box/storage/junk drawer... and hope to incorporate a false bottom that hides a 'protective element'.

afa the faceplate, your choice would be one that is actually inset in the box...like with a 1/2 drop below the box sides ?? Hadn't considered plastic.
charging ports are already considered... but hadn't considered the jack for the radio... but don't most have that included in the radio ??

there is so much brain on this site !!

Old 10-26-2016, 10:23 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Veneer it w/ your choice of wood species .

Old 10-26-2016, 10:49 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by jniolon
good ideas Moe... the switches can be moved up under the radio..no prob
the arm rest is now my glove box/storage/junk drawer... and hope to incorporate a false bottom that hides a 'protective element'.

afa the faceplate, your choice would be one that is actually inset in the box...like with a 1/2 drop below the box sides ?? Hadn't considered plastic.
charging ports are already considered... but hadn't considered the jack for the radio... but don't most have that included in the radio ??

there is so much brain on this site !!

Some radios have USB and 1/8" plug, but they are cables (I hate attacked exposed cables to radios, had to many of them break). Built in is nice and clean.

I like the idea of the secrete compartment... have an idea for ya if you don't have one yet... I'll draw it up and PM it to ya if ya like?

Old 10-27-2016, 06:02 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
I like the idea of the secrete compartment... have an idea for ya if you don't have one yet... I'll draw it up and PM it to ya if ya like?

send it Moe... would love to see it

thanks
j

Old 10-27-2016, 10:14 AM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
I think a one piece polished machine turned stainless with fancy screws. A radio, power window switches, AC heat controls and shift indicator in the rising section. Nice leather going over the sides and down to inside about 1.5, than angles with weld back nuts recessed down approx. 3/8 to 1/2. Speakers mounted low on the sides.
Nice work on the console, now I am going to re-visit my interior again for the millionth time

Old 10-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by gerrymoe
I think a one piece polished machine turned stainless with fancy screws. A radio, power window switches, AC heat controls and shift indicator in the rising section. Nice leather going over the sides and down to inside about 1.5, than angles with weld back nuts recessed down approx. 3/8 to 1/2. Speakers mounted low on the sides.
Nice work on the console, now I am going to re-visit my interior again for the millionth time

That's what I forgot was the AC Heater controls and maybe a couple of vents

Old 10-27-2016, 03:12 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

What's are the dimension of your center console? Also what the dimensions of you protection device?

Old 10-27-2016, 04:21 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Hey Moe

a/c controls and vents will be in dash extension above this box

here's the dimensions... the console/armrest dimensions are the inside dimensions of the box.

thanks
j

Attached Images   
Old 10-27-2016, 07:53 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 98 has a 60/40 seat that I have an old holster stuffed in the crack. My 9mm fits down in there quite nicely. Maybe you have an old holster you could mount on the inside of your storage area for easier access, local laws permitting of course. You would probably want some sort of lock for the armrest then.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:21 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
well...nothing like an old post brought back to life. after talking to upholstery guy and getting my clearances... here's today's chore

sides will be covered with foam and vinyl... top will be vinyl only... still looking for proper switches. 1/8" aluminum (road sign) with 1/8" - 1/4" clearance for material on each side

Old 09-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Its looking good!

Old 10-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

You could use 2 of the duals and then the single centered for your hood

Looks great!

What type of switches are you thinking about using? If I remember right, back in the 80's, a guy that took two 80' Ch3vy Silverado drivers side power window switch mounted one in each door of his hotrod one switch was for the window and one for the door lock (can't remember if it was poppers or not). that way he said he was able to buy a wiring harnesses so he could by off the shelf parts.

Quick Reply: console questions/options/opinions