2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Adaptive Cruise about caused wreck...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Tomc750
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Xwild
jschira - the adaptive cruise does do the same thing everytime it's in the same situation.. that's the beauty of software (provided it's well written). The "getting used to it" part is just learning how it views those different situations, and understanding the logic process it take in each situation.
I have already learned to drive, have had 65 years or so of practice. Guess I'm not enthusiastic about learning a new skill at this point.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:52 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Xwild
jschira - the adaptive cruise does do the same thing everytime it's in the same situation.. that's the beauty of software (provided it's well written). The "getting used to it" part is just learning how it views those different situations, and understanding the logic process it take in each situation.
Yes, but how many "situations" do I have to learn? These features are supposed to make it easier/safer to drive but now I have to know and be ready to react in different ways in different situations when I never had to react before.

And what if the situations are not exactly the same (which they rarely are). So take the situation where a car cuts across the lane in front of me. Sometime it passes 10' in front. Sometimes 15', etc. Sometimes the car might cut across quickly, sometimes it might linger for a few seconds.

My dumb cruise control does exactly the same thing, every single time. No learning curve. More importantly, I only have to do one thing (hit or tap the brake pedal) every single time. It becomes second nature easily.

I'm not saying that these features will not get to where they need to be sometime in the future, and you have to start somewhere.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:15 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the car cuts across in front of you and keeps going the adaptive cruise wont do anything it thinks a bit before it reacts in that case, not sure how many seconds but it doesn't do anything, and it gives you time to be ready for it to slow down if there is no one behind you just let it do its thing if there is someone behind just have your foot on the throttle so your car cant slow

Old 10-25-2016, 08:18 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Just like all the electronics in aircraft some of the newer pilots are relying on it too much and can't even navigate if something happens, you still need to be able to override it and do what it wont, I.E. another plane crosses in front of you the autopilot wont try to avoid it , it is up to the pilot to take command from the aircraft and fly the plane.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 PM
HDKING
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschira
I have been thinking about this and similar comments and I ask the question, "why do I have to get used to it"?

I drive old Fords with 4 wheel manual drum brakes. Often after replacing the brakes, the car will pull to one side or the other. Sometimes only mildly, sometimes very badly. Sometimes the pull goes away as the shoes lap into the drums and/or the adjusters on all 4 wheels tighten up. Sometimes the pull gets worse.

After a while, if the pull does not go away, I get "used" to it and can anticipate where the car is headed when I hit the brakes.

But does this mean that I do not fix the problem? I don't think so.

When I hit the brakes, I do not want to guess what the car is going to do, even if I get pretty good at guessing correctly. I want the car to stop straight and true, every time. If it does not, then I need to fix the brakes.

Same goes for the cruise control. I do not want to have to out-guess the software, trying to anticipate having to do "A" in situation "X" or do "B" in situation "Y". I want the car to do exactly the same thing every time, time after time. In my case, with "dumb" cruise control, the car is going to keep going at the speed that I selected unless I, or something else, stops the car. Maybe not very "smart", but very predicable.

PS - Car and Driver a while back tested a Jaguar with adaptive cruise control. It had the same problems going around curves (2 lane and 4 lane) as described herein. C&D got so frustrated that they turned the CC off.
The reason you need to get used to this technology is so you can understand its limitations. It is not broken as in your "drum brake" example, more that it is limited in its ability to function.

Similar to a TV remote control, the remote works correctly once you realize how to operate it and point it towards the device you wish to operate. We need to learn how to use adaptive cruise control and its limitations at this stage in its development.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:55 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Just like the lane guidance, keeping system also has limitations. I have found the driving into the sun early morning or evening the camera cannot "see" the lines and the system is disabled. Also on rainy nights where the headlights reflect off the water or the lines are hidden in the water the system disables as it cannot "see" the lines.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:37 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 541 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
From what I have experienced it actually DOES apply the brake and also the brake lamps when having to brake heavily. I would think that any braking it should illuminate the brake lights.
It does apply the brake lights at any time the vehicle's brakes are applied, no matter how lightly.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:40 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by HDKING
The reason you need to get used to this technology is so you can understand its limitations. It is not broken as in your "drum brake" example, more that it is limited in its ability to function.

Similar to a TV remote control, the remote works correctly once you realize how to operate it and point it towards the device you wish to operate. We need to learn how to use adaptive cruise control and its limitations at this stage in its development.
His comments on brakes are well taken. Imagine if your vehicle had a non-functioning front brake caliper (stuck / frozen) etc. Maybe when you brake, you're used to it pulling sharply left / right. Now imagine auto cruise control senses a collision an suddenly applies full braking at 70mph...causing your vehicle to pull sharply off the road or into the opposite lane. You weren't expecting it, so you couldn't correct in time to prevent the crash.

Finally, there is an awful lot less at stake when you don't aim your remote correctly...

Old 10-26-2016, 05:56 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by wb6anp
If the car cuts across in front of you and keeps going the adaptive cruise wont do anything it thinks a bit before it reacts in that case, not sure how many seconds but it doesn't do anything, and it gives you time to be ready for it to slow down if there is no one behind you just let it do its thing if there is someone behind just have your foot on the throttle so your car cant slow
So now you are saying that ACC might do something or it might not? And that it might take several seconds to make up its mind?

Sorry, but this does not sound like a labor saving device to me.

I guess that I am not just an early adopter. You will not see in line in front of the I-Phone store at 1 AM.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:47 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jschira
So now you are saying that ACC might do something or it might not? And that it might take several seconds to make up its mind?

Sorry, but this does not sound like a labor saving device to me.

I guess that I am not just an early adopter. You will not see in line in front of the I-Phone store at 1 AM.
That's incorrect info. ACC uses a radar beam and a microprocessor. If an object or vehicle moves suddenly into its radar beam, and the distance is less than the threshold set by the user, it will instantly apply braking. The radar can detect closing distance and determines how much braking force will be applied accordingly. The whole process is nearly instantaneous.

In reality, it is a very simple system.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 AM
Florit17
Mountain Pass
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
It does apply the brake lights at any time the vehicle's brakes are applied, no matter how lightly.
I've wondered if this was the case.
My wife's 2008 & now her 2016 Toyota Sequoia Platinum has Laser Cruise and I've experimented with it multiple times by pushing it to the limits. I've let it "see" a 45MPH semi in front of me as I was approaching at 75 MPH - Hovering over the brakes and ready to take evasive maneuvers. Sure enough, as soon as the truck was detected, the CC slammed on the brakes. Although there was no traffic behind me at the time, it made me wonder if the brake lights were activated.
Besides what the OP experienced, I've learned that there are multiple other situations where although this technology works, it may not always operate smoothly. In the situation above, what would have been a simple, routine lane change for an attentive driver was turned into a near violent emergency slamming on the brakes by the CC.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 AM
jb-hunter
Junior User
By the way, experimenting I allowed (with my foot ready) the ACC to follow traffic all the way into a town, 65 to 55 to 45 to 35 to a stop light. I slowed about the same way I would have slowed considering the traffic and ACC brought the truck to complete stop where it then completely disengaged/turned off.

I did the same again where traffic did not come to a complete stop and it followed everyone in and through another town returning me to highway speed.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Nimrod
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things that help you drive the vehicle are the Devil. Then again I said Windows would never replace DOS.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:03 AM
jb-hunter
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nimrod
Things that help you drive the vehicle are the Devil. Then again I said Windows would never replace DOS.
Yeah, I know. I thought cassettes sucked because you could not skip over tracks easily. "Cassette, who the freak thought this up. Fast forward, listen, fast forward listen, rewind to find beginning of song... idiots."

I was a "Long live the 8 track!!! Cassettes will never survive."

Old 10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
I am thinking that this issue has been discussed thoroughly enough for everyone to make up his/her own mind.

Personally, I probably would not use it, and I certainly would not pay extra to get it if I could avoid it.

But I drive 2 different pickups with no cruise at all, crank up windows and manual push button locks, so no one really should listen to me.