1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Today's Booty

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 07:53 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Today's Booty

....not that kind of Booty. --you know, like treasure ....and as the saying goes, you can't judge a pirate by the size of his booty.

When I recently finished converting my friend Dylan's 72 F100 Sport Custom to front discs and power brakes, we had made plans that I would come up to his neck of the woods and go look at some Bumps and Dents, in a wrecking yard close to where he lives, and see what treasures we might find.

But, first, I had to get my leaky C-4 squared away before I felt comfortable making an 87 mile trip (one way) with the ol' 69 Ranger. I got that done last week and we made plans to meet up today (Saturday). It was a perfect day. Sunny, blue skies, temperatures in the low 70's and low humidity --my kinda weather!

We both found stuff we wanted and the price was super reasonable. The guy that owned the yard is named A.P. and he was a nice old fellow to deal with.

My truck back in the exact location I had bought it 5 1/2 years earlier --although I didn't know Dylan at the time I bought the truck from him in 2011. I just kept in touch all this time and I would send him photos of things I had done or added to my truck, as I made changes to it.

A few things I picked up today.

The '69 Ranger made the 174 mile round trip with no problems or hiccups.

We had a good time and it was nice to actually hang out and go picking with someone of like interest.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:00 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Single diaphragm boosters? Trading fodder?

Well done with the green machine... dead nuts reliable.

Curious to know if ya figured out yer MPG with that miserly 240....

Old 10-22-2016, 08:04 PM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraranger
....not that kind of Booty. --you know, like treasure ....and as the saying goes, you can't judge a pirate by the size of his booty.

When I recently finished converting my friend Dylan's 72 F100 Sport Custom to front discs and power brakes, we had made plans that I would come up to his neck of the woods and go look at some Bumps and Dents, in a wrecking yard close to where he lives, and see what treasures we might find.

But, first, I had to get my leaky C-4 squared away before I felt comfortable making an 87 mile trip (one way) with the ol' 69 Ranger. I got that done last week and we made plans to meet up today (Saturday). It was a perfect day. Sunny, blue skies, temperatures in the low 70's and low humidity --my kinda weather!

We both found stuff we wanted and the price was super reasonable. The guy that owned the yard is named A.P. and he was a nice old fellow to deal with.

My truck back in the exact location I had bought it 5 1/2 years earlier --although I didn't know Dylan at the time I bought the truck from him in 2011. I just kept in touch all this time and I would send him photos of things I had done or added to my truck, as I made changes to it.

A few things I picked up today.

The '69 Ranger made the 174 mile round trip with no problems or hiccups.

We had a good time and it was nice to actually hang out and go picking with someone of like interest.
Sweet. Glad to hear you had a good time. What year are those door interiors? How about the boosters?

Your Ranger sits real nice.

How fast did you go on the trip?

Old 10-22-2016, 08:51 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Single diaphragm boosters? Trading fodder?

Well done with the green machine... dead nuts reliable.

Curious to know if ya figured out yer MPG with that miserly 240....
The single diaphragm boosters on the bellcrank firewall brackets can be barter material, sold, installed or converted to a dual diaphragm booster in the single diaphram boosters place. I have four of these now.

I don't really know my truck's average mileage and I haven't tried to figure it off the odometer. Except for a brief period I did actually get the gas gauge to work right, it's always been way off --hence, why I keep a full 5 gallon (reserve) gas jug in the back, just in case I don't have as much gas as I thought I did. The 240 is old and tired so, I'm sure it's not quite up to snuff of what a healthier one would be.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:07 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 72CC428
Sweet. Glad to hear you had a good time. What year are those door interiors? How about the boosters?

Your Ranger sits real nice.

How fast did you go on the trip?
The door trim and the one metal door panel (passenger side), came from a '69 Ranger. I got most of the screws out of the drivers side door panel when I realized there was a bullet hole in about the center of the steel panel from a large caliber firearm (the hole was made from inside the truck outward). Once I noticed this, I left the drivers side metal door panel behind.

The boosters came from Dentsides ranging from 1973-1976. They will fit a Bumpside.

Thanks. My front suspension/discs are from a '77 F100 but I haven't changed the ride height of my truck.

I averaged 60-65 MPH but hit 70 in a few places. I didn't try to push the truck too hard on the way there or back. I didn't want to stress it and break something.

If I had left Pine Bluff a little earlier, I was going to stop in Fordyce to check on a short bed Bump with a blue body and a white cab I had spied there some time back. But, I was running out of daylight and got home just before dusk as it was. Since the truck and its engine are old, I prefer not to be far from home when the sun goes down. That's when gremlins like to run amok.

Whenever I get the fuel injected engine and the 4-speed automatic overdrive transmission installed, I'll feel a lot more confident with the truck, whether it's daylight out or not.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:28 AM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The door trim and the one metal door panel (passenger side), came from a '69 Ranger. I got most of the screws out of the drivers side door panel when I realized there was a bullet hole in about the center of the steel panel from a large caliber firearm (the hole was made from inside the truck outward). Once I noticed this, I left the drivers side metal door panel behind.

The boosters came from Dentsides ranging from 1973-1976. They will fit a Bumpside.

Thanks. My front suspension/discs are from a '77 F100 but I haven't changed the ride height of my truck.

I averaged 60-65 MPH but hit 70 in a few places. I didn't try to push the truck too hard on the way there or back. I didn't want to stress it and break something.

If I had left Pine Bluff a little earlier, I was going to stop in Fordyce to check on a short bed Bump with a blue body and a white cab I had spied there some time back. But, I was running out of daylight and got home just before dusk as it was. Since the truck and its engine are old, I prefer not to be far from home when the sun goes down. That's when gremlins like to run amok.

Whenever I get the fuel injected engine and the 4-speed automatic overdrive transmission installed, I'll feel a lot more confident with the truck, whether it's daylight out or not.
Okay Steve. Safe driving, Todd.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:14 PM
lilorbie
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Today,s Booty

ultraranger looks like you scored pretty good at the junk yard. the only one close to where i live has a few Bumps and Dents but they are picked over pretty good. the jy where i go is the most organized i have ever seen. all the Ford trucks are in one spot, the Ford cars are all together, the same way with the chevy trucks and cars also the dodge stuff is the same way. the owner has all of it in his head. and he is Very good on his prices.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:21 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
In all my wrecking yard searches, I've never been able to find the round (dry element) air cleaner assembly for my 240.

Like this.

I had bought the other style dry element air cleaner some time back but, it didn't have a snorkel on it or the support brace on the left side. While at the wrecking yard yesterday, I grabbed this same style air cleaner off of a Bullnose 300, to get the snorkel and support bracket off of it.

I realize the Ford blue on the snorkle is a different shade than what's on the engine but, at least it looks more complete now.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I had bought the other style dry element air cleaner some time back but, it didn't have a snorkel on it or the support brace on the left side. While at the wrecking yard yesterday, I grabbed this same style air cleaner off of a Bullnose 300, to get the snorkel and support bracket off of it.

I realize the Ford blue on the snorkle is a different shade than what's on the engine but, at least it looks more complete now.

Lookin' Purdy Steve. Congrats on the scores. The complete engineering number would have been D7UE9D626AA or CA if you want to paint it back on there some how. Paint on a rubber stamp? Both engineering numbers crossed to D7UZ9A626B part. Some 77/79 Econolines and some 80/86 Econolines
and F series.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:07 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Lookin' Purdy Steve. Congrats on the scores. The complete engineering number would have been D7UE9D626AA or CA if you want to paint it back on there some how. Paint on a rubber stamp? Both engineering numbers crossed to D7UZ9A626B part. Some 77/79 Econolines and some 80/86 Econolines
and F series.
Thanks for the info, Jeff.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:37 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks like you had a good time and found some goodies too. Cargo light, back window, rear fender reflectors. Just in time for trick or treat. Sounds like it was a great weekend!

Old 10-26-2016, 08:05 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by GaryKip
Looks like you had a good time and found some goodies too. Cargo light, back window, rear fender reflectors. Just in time for trick or treat. Sounds like it was a great weekend!
The oppressive heat and humidity has finally subsided here and the weather last weekend was perfect for going to the wrecking yard.

....I'm presently working on an 'air conditioning' project for the shop for next summer. A co-worker gave me a 3-spd squirrel cage blower from a residential gas furnace. I'm making a frame for it and will mount it on a base that will tilt, so I can direct the path of the air coming out of the blower, up, down or straight ahead.

So far, I have no money invested in the blower or the materials I'm making the frame out of.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:40 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
The oppressive heat and humidity has finally subsided here and the weather last weekend was perfect for going to the wrecking yard.

....I'm presently working on an 'air conditioning' project for the shop for next summer. A co-worker gave me a 3-spd squirrel cage blower from a residential gas furnace. I'm making a frame for it and will mount it on a base that will tilt, so I can direct the path of the air coming out of the blower, up, down or straight ahead.

So far, I have no money invested in the blower or the materials I'm making the frame out of.

Yes summer is finally over, down in the 90s now. I use a swamp cooler in the same way, usually w/o any water (just raises humidity, without much 'cooling'). Nice fab work and the right price.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:16 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
Yes summer is finally over, down in the 90s now. I use a swamp cooler in the same way, usually w/o any water (just raises humidity, without much 'cooling'). Nice fab work and the right price.
Thanks. About the only thing I'll have to buy is a power cord, a 3-spd selector switch (for the Lo, Med & Hi fan motor settings) and some paint for the frame and the blower.

It would be nice if this blower had an ECM (Electronically Commutated Motor) instead of a PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor) motor. With an ECM, I would be able to put a variable speed controller on it with infinite adjustability of the fan speed --from off to max speed, instead of just three set speeds with the PSC motor but, it was free and beats what I had which was nothing.

PSC Motor

https://yorkcentraltechtalk.wordpres...-an-ecm-motor/

Old 10-26-2016, 05:39 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
You can use a Triac on that PSC motor for speed control although the low speed may only be 50% not down to really slow.
I use one of these for an exhaust fan, which is recommended from the fan manufacture (Canarm in this case)
Fan Speed Controls: Fan Speed Controls Triac - KB Electronics

Quick Reply: Today's Booty