1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip yoke fixed but is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 02:19 PM
Big
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends,

I took the plunge and tried the fix for the driveline klunk that is posted in the FAQ. I think I followed it pretty well. There is really not a whole lot you can do different from the directions posted. The only concern I have is the grease I used. I am not sure what kind it is, nor weather all the grease I put on there is really where it is supposed to be. I used what I thought would be a good grease in this application. It is not too sticky (viscous) to where it would not go where it needs to go, but it is not too thin to where it would (heaven forbid) run out the boot.

For those who have done it, you know that when you slide the drive shaft back on the spline, a lot of the grease gets pushed off the splines. This seamed to happen weather I put the grease on the spline or in the drive shaft. Any pointers as to how I make sure I have enough grease and of the right type?

I made sure to realign the shaft, spline and the universal joint even marking the 4 bolts so they went back in the same hole the came out of. The clunk went away for a week but is back now and I now have a slight bump when I pull away from a stop. I am going to go to my shop now to take a good look at it and see if there is anything obvious. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Big

Old 08-22-2003, 06:28 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The proper lube from Ford is a teflon based lube part #D2AZ-19590-A. It is blue in color and is a soft light consistancy grease. I have had very good success with it fixing the problem you describe. You put it inside the yoke spline, when you push the yoke back into the transmission the pressure inside forces the lube between the splined shaft and the yoke.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:01 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have a worn out slip joint ,and may need a new yoke and spline assy. If you ran without grease for an extended period it wears out.

Did you look closely at the condition of the splines for galling or burrs?

Thats an indication of bad news!

yes use the blue teflon grease mentioned above thats the best stuff ,but don't mix grease types .
thats what the factory was supposed to use !

Rich