1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Has anyone installed the new Series 400 Power Steering Kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:13 AM
kens65fb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed the new Series 400 Power Steering Kit ?

Both Mid-Fifty, and CCP now offer the new 400 series power Steering kit.
The steering box is not a Toyota unit, but a brand new box, which CCP claims is even more compact, than the Toyota.
The 400 series does not require an adapter to mount the box to the frame.
Has anyone installed this new kit ?

1953-56 Ford F-100 Steering Box, Power, Whole Kit, 400 Series

Old 09-24-2016, 10:22 AM
oldwi
Senior User
CPP 400 Power Steering

There have been some posts about installing this steering box that should come up during a search. I have bookmarked one website where a member shows pictures of his install. I heard enough positives to decide to order one my self which should be here Monday and will be installing it in my truck. The only area of concern I have seen is the spacers that go between the box and frame. I remember seeing one members pictures where he made a sold spacer rather than using the small ones that come with the kit. If I had the tools and skills to do that I might consider doing it as well but will have to trust the mounting spacers that come with the kit instead.

Power Steering

Alan

Old 09-24-2016, 03:24 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Does anyone know if the 400 kit would work on the 48-52s. I did ask a tech at CPP and he said yes but that you would need to re-drill the frame holes but that was it. Im asking because he didn't sound real sure about it, more like it should work tone in his voice. They have always been very helpful so not complaining, just looking for a second opinion, or someone's personnel experience.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:53 PM
kens65fb
Junior User
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Does anyone know if the 400 kit would work on the 48-52s. I did ask a tech at CPP and he said yes but that you would need to re-drill the frame holes but that was it. Im asking because he didn't sound real sure about it, more like it should work tone in his voice. They have always been very helpful so not complaining, just looking for a second opinion, or someone's personnel experience.
I hope it works, I received my kit from CCP yesterday, for my 1948 F2.
Prior to ordering, I spoke with two different techs at CCP, and they both said that they have sold numerous kits to 48-52 owners, and have had positive responses on the install.
Both Techs said that there might be some minor issues, one frame hole might need to be re-drilled or tweaked, and (maybe) a slight alignment adjustment, but no major problems.
I also spoke with the owner of CMW Trucks, who lists this kit for 48-52 trucks, he said he has sold a dozen or more of these kits, for 48-52 owners, with no returns.

I will plan to do the install in about a month, I'll let you know

http://www.cmwtrucks.com/index.php/4...ng-column.html

Last edited by kens65fb; 09-24-2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-24-2016, 08:32 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Cool Ken, thanks for that. I'm ok for now, but the older I get the better power steering, (and I'm assuming less slop and bump steer) starts to sound. This kit is priced reasonable at least now, so maybe I should start saving up for one. Im looking forward to your install, the install link oldwi (Allen) posted above was really well done, thanks Allen.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:09 PM
jerryst
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I am currently doing that swap now. I purchased the cpp kit from summit racing. No tax or shipping. I am doing it on a 1955 f100. The truck still has the front straight axle. It seems pretty straight forward. The only problems so far is that cpp sent the wrong steering box. Also you will have to remove exhaust and having another set of hands when you are bolting this up helps a lot.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:10 PM
jerryst
More Turbo
Also the kit from summit had the rag joint included.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:34 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by jerryst
I am currently doing that swap now. I purchased the cpp kit from summit racing. No tax or shipping. I am doing it on a 1955 f100. The truck still has the front straight axle. It seems pretty straight forward. The only problems so far is that cpp sent the wrong steering box. Also you will have to remove exhaust and having another set of hands when you are bolting this up helps a lot.
Rite on Jerry, don't forget to take some pictures.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:47 PM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
please take pictures, I so want to do something like this.....just money is really tight.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:52 PM
kens65fb
Junior User
Here is a link to a video from CCP industries showcasing the very first 400 series steering kit installed in a Ford Pickup.
Short video but very informative.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:45 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
I have had mine in for few months now and like it. If you will look at the video at 38 or 39 seconds you will notice the the steer box and steering column do not line up now this could an illusion but I did have to move my steering column over to the right as it would bind up and not return to center on turning a corner. I have thought of makeing larger spacers to bring the all inline. If anyone has had this problem I could sure use some help on this with the column move the steering does return to center but I don't think that it the right way to do it. All in all I think it is a good set up.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:24 AM
syphonn
Freshman User
I ordered this kit and hope to install it soon as well. I have a the original front axle and I'm thinking about getting the a new column instead of modifying the original.

Column
1948-60 Ford F-100 Steering Column, Tilt, Chrome, No Shift, 30"

Rag Joint
1948-79 Ford F-100 Rag Joint, 3/4" 30 Spline X 1" Dd - RJC1DD730

If I get to it before you do, I'll post pictures.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:00 PM
chriscris
Senior User
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim

The steering wheel horn button would be rendered useless?

Old 11-20-2016, 01:42 AM
jerryst
More Turbo
Ok here is my update on cpp power steering conversion. I just got finished taking off the stock pitman arm. It was not as bad as it looked. I have hooked up the power steering lines to the pump and steering box. I used a 1971 chevy Camaro small block power steering pump. Also I used a two belt pulley for the same pump. I used a straight edge to make sure pulleys lined up. I also used a straight edge from the fender opening and measured to the edge of the tire. This gives me a ball park that the tires are straight. Also loosely attach the pitman arm you may have to move it around when you get the column and steering wheel installed.
cya
Jerry

Old 11-20-2016, 05:44 PM
oldwi
Senior User
Completed Installing it on my 55

I finished my install of the CPP400 power steering kit on my 55 F100 and it was very easy to do and hopefully works as well as it seemed to after installing it. I still have not had the chance to drive the truck more than in and out of the garage as I finished painting it before it turned cold and now am putting the truck back together. I also installed a Classic Perfect Fit air and heat unit while the truck was apart and am very impressed with how easy that was to install. I would recommend both the power steering kit and the Classic Air system based on how well my installation went and how well both seem to work even with the limited testing I have had a chance to do.

Alan

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed the new Series 400 Power Steering Kit ?