2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Backup Key - Want to have a 'spare'. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:54 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And when your vehicles get stolen, you drive up insurance rates for all of us.

If you don't want to deal with a key, buy a truck with push-button start. Drop fob in pocket, done.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:58 AM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,377 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Originally Posted by tvsjr
And when your vehicles get stolen, you drive up insurance rates for all of us.

If you don't want to deal with a key, buy a truck with push-button start. Drop fob in pocket, done.
My new truck has the push button start, and I leave the fob in the console all the time and lock it with the key pad. On the 2012 XLT I just got rid of, I would take the key out of the ignition, put it in the console, and lock the truck with the key pad. I did it that way for 4 years without any issues. The only vehicle I have to carry the keys in my pocket for is my 2011 XL, and the only reason I have to is because that truck does not have the key pad. Not that big of a deal because that truck isn't my daily driver.

I really don't think the way I do things constitutes improper securing of my vehicle. I have never left the keys in the ignition on any of my vehicles.

Why do you seem to have an issue with what we choose to do with our vehicles?

Old 09-14-2016, 01:18 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
No, car insurance will pay for the drunk driver's vehicle. They did for my friend's son's leased car. However, they won't cover if the damage was intentional or off public roads such as four wheeling.

Car rental insurance will not cover theft if the renter cannot show the key after the theft. That was pretty clear.

I didn't even think about using that keycode on my F150. I should start doing that. I even set up a new one so that all five keys are pushed.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Hackenbush
Laughing Gas

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts
"Why do you seem to have an issue with what we choose to do with our vehicles?"

Exactly

Old 09-14-2016, 04:45 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because your actions are at least irresponsible and, in many states, criminal. They also contribute to increased insurance rates for all of us - costing me money.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:54 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Because your actions are at least irresponsible and, in many states, criminal. They also contribute to increased insurance rates for all of us - costing me money.
Let's get something straight...I don't need you or anyone else out there to tell me what I can or can't do with MY property.

I think you are out of line with implying that locking the keys in my truck is driving your insurance rates up and that my actions are criminal and irresponsible. The damn keys are locked in the truck, in the console, and out of plain sight. Do you feel the same way about the people who have a spare key in one of those magnetic hide a key boxes that they attach somewhere under their truck? The criminal is the person who breaks into the truck and steals it.

Seeing as how I have not filed any claims on my insurance, I can't see how I'm supposedly driving your insurance rates up. I'm not a child, and I'm not irresponsible as you claim. If I was so irresponsible, I don't think the Coast Guard would have assigned me to command a ship and a shore station.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:32 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lol. I'm going back to the Super Duty section where the big boys play. Jeebeus.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:11 PM
mykels
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer cut 2 spare non-switchblade keys for me when I purchased the truck. 1 at home and 1 hidden outside the truck.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:34 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
hopefully all this bickering isn't a result of my comment. I wasn't intending to start any crap I was just honestly asking a question. As a man who deals with fraud, theft, and other crime for a living I'm probably a lot more paranoid than the average joe... but it just seemed like a no-brainer to me. Especially the ones who leave the key in the ignition - it just feels like a lot more risk than I'd be willing to accept.

People are gonna do what they want, no skin off my nose. As for what I do - I keep my key in my pocket. the spare key stays with the wife. I know the dealer can cut one of the little sliver keys pretty quick for anyone who wants a third.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
hopefully all this bickering isn't a result of my comment. I wasn't intending to start any crap I was just honestly asking a question. As a man who deals with fraud, theft, and other crime for a living I'm probably a lot more paranoid than the average joe... but it just seemed like a no-brainer to me. Especially the ones who leave the key in the ignition - it just feels like a lot more risk than I'd be willing to accept.

People are gonna do what they want, no skin off my nose. As for what I do - I keep my key in my pocket. the spare key stays with the wife. I know the dealer can cut one of the little sliver keys pretty quick for anyone who wants a third.
I don't have any issues with you or your comment. What fired me up was the other poster who stated that I was an irresponsible individual who caused his insurance rates to go up. He also mentioned criminal in there was well. I don't take kindly to that type of insinuation.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:56 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
I don't have any issues with you or your comment. What fired me up was the other poster who stated that I was an irresponsible individual who caused his insurance rates to go up. He also mentioned criminal in there was well. I don't take kindly to that type of insinuation.
fair enough. I think the 'criminal' comment was based on laws that might not exist in your state. i get what he was trying to say, but his tone could use some work heh.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:07 AM
Excelerater
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not know anyone who likes todays current keyfob technology other than the dealers who are selling them for 200-300+ dollars..

Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It reminds me of the notion of locks keeping honest people honest. BS. Honest people aren't tempted by such things. Bad people can get it anyway. We shouldn't have to change our lives because of how other people choose to live. We simply need to find better "solutions" for those kinds of people. =-D

But yes, you can get key blanks cut. If you're simply looking for a way into the vehicle, the small blanks used in the push button start cars would be perfect! Virtually no head at all, so they'll fit easy into a wallet.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:40 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Frantz
It reminds me of the notion of locks keeping honest people honest. BS. Honest people aren't tempted by such things. Bad people can get it anyway. We shouldn't have to change our lives because of how other people choose to live.
I respectfully disagree. There's a concept called "barrier to entry" that is key in determining risk level when it comes to theft or fraud. Criminals will almost always go for the easiest target, much like lions picking off the weakest member of a herd of gazelle. Locks may not make them honest people, but in most cases a good lock will make the criminal move on to something less difficult. It's very common for a petty thief to go through parking lots trying door handles to see who is unlocked. If he doesn't have to make a scene getting into the vehicle, he's a lot less likely to get caught. so if he tries 50 cars and 1 is unlocked... guess which one he will steal from . The same thing goes for leaving a key in the ignition. If some criminal is tipped off to this being a common practice, he may look in 50 windows to find the one he wants, but that's the one he's going to take.

For almost as long as there have been cars, there have been doors and windows and locks. Aside from some minor "oops, shouldn't have done that" moments, doors and windows protect the same as they did 60 years ago. Criminals have plenty of ways to defeat those basic protections. More recently, manufacturers have been including passive anti-theft measures that will disable the fuel pump and/or other critical systems unless one of the approved keys is present. Even my '98 cobra has that (and it can be a PITA when it goes wrong, but that's a different story for a different time). This newer technology continues to improve and is very difficult to defeat (although not impossible). A key left in the ignition is essentially removing all of the passive anti-theft protection that our trucks come with. Of course that's a risk that any owner can choose to accept. I'm just not sure why anyone would want to... but again, that's not up to me heh.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:12 AM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I just don't believe in making it easier for anyone, I keep my keys/ fobs in my pocket. in Texas it is illegal to leave your car running and unattended. I don't know what they do with remote start, I just hope I don't set the first case law, I do use it at home.

Quick Reply: Backup Key - Want to have a 'spare'. Ideas?