1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

frame paint/protectant

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 03:49 PM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frame paint/protectant

I was wondering if there was any consensus on what to put on the frame during a frame off restoration. I've got my entire truck disassembled and the major parts are currently at the sandblasting shop. All the sheet metal will go the body shop for priming. I was considering doing the frame myself. I can find material online about DIY folks brush painting their frame and being happy with the results; however, they don't update those articles 5 years later when trouble appears.

The truck had sprayed undercoating on it a few years after purchase. That step is probably why there's even still a frame to work with

I'm just looking for stories on what worked and what didn't. Leaving it to the paint/body shop is an option too!

Thanks!

John

Old 09-07-2016, 06:19 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
POR 15 is I think what will protect it the best, but I'm rather new so I will wait to see what the others voice as their choices

Old 09-07-2016, 06:31 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
If you are doing a "correct" restoration, be sure to use a protective covering with the correct sheen. If you're doing a resto mod, use something 'pretty'.
The frames had very little, if any paint protection when new and unless they were subject to salt, many of them remain in very good shape today with very little rust.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:38 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
POR 15 brushed on 5 years ago and it still looks 'pretty'.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 PM
KirkF
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
I've been asking different members what they use if I see they have a shiny black chassis in their threads.
So far the answers have been:

Rustoleum Black
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...r-and-chassis/

Eastwood Chassis Black
Chassis Paint - Frame Paint - Chassis Black, Frame Painting Kit - Eastwood

Por-15
(Will fade from UV) Needs a top coat
Stop Rust with POR-15 - We Know What Permanent Means!

KBS
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/

ZERO RUST
Official Distributor for Zero-Rust Paints | Best solution for rust removal and cotrol

PPG DCC 9300
Acrylic urethane paint, tough, resistant to brake fluid
https://www.welleauto.com/index.php/...PPG/p/50490041

Primer
Dupont Corlar red-oxide primer

Magnet Paints
Paint Over Rust to Stop Rust Permanently With Chassis Saver Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

Summit Racing Chassis Shield
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...p501/overview/

SPI Southern Polyurethanes
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/products

I haven't made a choice for my frame yet, but I'm leaning towards the Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black.

Kirk

Old 09-07-2016, 08:46 PM
KirkF
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Ray,

You make a good point. My frame has a small bit of black still showing in a couple sections. What would the original paint on these frames have been? And what would be the correct way to restore them now?

Was the original more of a gloss black or satin black?

Does anyone have any old pictures that show exposed frame and how they looked?

Kirk

Old 09-07-2016, 11:38 PM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
POR 15 brushed on 5 years ago and it still looks 'pretty'.
Thanks for the info. Seems like a strong product indeed. I just want to put something that I can forget for 25 years No ambition to have her this far apart again any time soon!

I feel like the sand blasting adequately replaces the prep step. Their website has so many products though...they suggest with bare metal I can go straight to the top coat or use the rust preventive first. For top coat they have 1 and 2 part versions. It feels a bit like guess work on an important step.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:59 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
For the frame, I used their Chassis Black product. This is a direct to metal coating that is UV tolerant. So with some wire brush action and a quick degreaser wipe down, the surface was prepped. They do have some good products that readily adhere to metal. In fact, I used the Chassis Black product on the bed of my '49 (interior side walls and original metal floor). After five years of routine sun exposure and abuse while earning it's keep as a working truck, the paint adhesion / color endures. I'm very satisfied with the POR's products.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts
I like KBS rust seal. Very much like POR 15 I believe. Sets like rock, has a smooth almost plastic feel to it.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:30 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
A buddy is a big POR15 fan but I can't figure out why, he is always repairing spots that have flaked and throwing out paint that has hardened in the can. I have used various products but I am a big fan of KBS Rust Seal. As has been noted, this product will fade when exposed to UV (sunlight) but how often does your chassis ever see sunshine? KBS also comes in many colors and sheens and is less expensive than POR15.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:02 PM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
My friend Ray Tasch got me going on a product called "Ospho" to kill any surface rust. It goes on like water and when applied to rusted surfaces causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate which is an inert, hard substance that appears black. Once dry, the treated surface can be overcoated with whatever paint system is desired. I used this Ospho and then I brushed on one coat of Rustoleum Primer and then a couple coats of Rustoleum Flat Black. It looks far better than it did when I got the truck. I will report back as to the durability of this treatment and paint combination in say.......15 years.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:01 AM
dbran451
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is just base coat clear coat after being sand blasted

Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 AM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I powdercoated my frame.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:32 PM
fking1
Elder User
Originally Posted by bhalemail
I powdercoated my frame.
Same here on my 55.
If you can afford it this is the best coating.
Lasts forever.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:48 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Eastwood has a bunch of products but as you can see everyone has their favorites. Kirk has a good list but whatever you choose it has to be better than what was originally used . . . which was probably ground up used rubber mixed with acetone. It may even have been different plant to plant.

Quick Reply: frame paint/protectant