6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 6.7 dropped #5 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Some of you guys should come down to the 6.7L forum and take a look around.

Originally Posted by r2millers
Nope, not at all. If just an exhaust valve, the head would have to be pulled. The valve replaced, cylinder head seat ground, and most of the work from there pretty minor.
If however, it's a ring compression issue, then the engine must be pulled.
The issue is that the exhaust valve cracks and comes apart, dropping chunks into the cylinder. We've seen a bunch of these show up in the 6.7L forum, and I can't remember any that got away with anything less than a complete engine replacement.

Originally Posted by glenntorinosport
REALLY 12,500 plus labor for a long block, Id be asking them why an optional engine is only about 8500. sounds like that dealer wants to make a bundle off you
Not really, these things are very expensive to replace. Another FTE member in my area used to own a shop, and he quoted a guy over $16,000 for the installation of a remanufactured engine. The option cost on the window sticker matters very little when it comes to repair cost.

This particular issue is well documented, and it only affects 2011 model year engines. If I were the OP, I'd track down a junkyard engine from a 2012-2014 truck and have the shop install it. Could probably be done for under $10,000 that way, and the truck should be good for a LONG time assuming the engine was taken care of in the donor truck.

Moved to the 6.7L forum.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:35 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
In the years that the 6.7L has been out, I can count on my hands how many engines I've replaced, namely ONE. Oh, and the replacement long block from Ford happens to be a 2015 model year part number on the box it comes in, with a yellow decal on the crankcase breather box to indicate it is equipped with the updated glow plugs, along with the stamped steel oil pan to replace the original plastic pan the original engine came with. Checking the part number for a replacement long block for my 2016 truck returns the same part number as I as installed in the 2011 truck I did.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
In the years that the 6.7L has been out, I can count on my hands how engines I've replaced, namely ONE. Oh, and the replacement long block from Ford happens to be a 2015 model year part number on the box it comes in, with a yellow decal on the crankcase breather box to indicate it is equipped with the updated glow plugs, along with the stamped steel oil pan to replace the original plastic pan the original engine came with. Checking the part number for a replacement long block for my 2016 truck returns the same part number as I as installed in the 2011 truck I did.
If you search this forum and others you will find several threads of the early 2011's value failures and causing catastrophic damage to the engine. FORD went from a two piece value to a one piece in the late 2011 engines to address the issue. It's probably less than 1% of the early builds failing but who knows as they pile on the mileage. But if it happens to you it stinks. I traded my early build 2011 a couple months ago for a 2016 for this very reason. FORD won't do anything and put's the repair cost solely on the owner. Below is the latest thread on this issue.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-warranty.html

Old 09-09-2016, 05:33 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m-chan68
In the years that the 6.7L has been out, I can count on my hands how engines I've replaced, namely ONE. Oh, and the replacement long block from Ford happens to be a 2015 model year part number on the box it comes in, with a yellow decal on the crankcase breather box to indicate it is equipped with the updated glow plugs, along with the stamped steel oil pan to replace the original plastic pan the original engine came with. Checking the part number for a replacement long block for my 2016 truck returns the same part number as I as installed in the 2011 truck I did.
The Canadian trucks don't break engines (fingers crossed)

OP, there's a thread in the 6.7 forum about a failed engine at 89k if you want a long discussion to read.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:40 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by frt2599
If you search this forum and others you will find several threads of the early 2011's value failures and causing catastrophic damage to the engine. FORD went from a two piece value to a one piece in the late 2011 engines to address the issue. It's probably less than 1% of the early builds failing but who knows as they pile on the mileage. But if it happens to you it stinks. I traded my early build 2011 a couple months ago for a 2016 for this very reason. FORD won't do anything and put's the repair cost solely on the owner. Below is the latest thread on this issue.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-warranty.html
Sorry - this is not necessarily true... With rare exception (racing / extreme duty) all valves start out life as two pieces and are resistance welded, machined, tempered, final polished and seats ground. I suspect that in the case of the early valves, there was a problem with the heat treatment of some of the valves.
Read through this thread for more info:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ked-block.html

Old 09-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every time that I read one of these threads about an early 6.7 blowing an Engine it makes me sick. I traded my nearly paid off 2011 F250 last year on a new 2016 not because I wanted to, but because of the potential for a Valve failure that has claimed many early 6.7 engines. I'm a retiree living on a fixed income and can not afford to replace an engine out of pocket. I feel guilty for trading in my truck knowing that it's new owner probably has no clue about the early 6.7 problem, but I considered mine a Ticking Time bomb and wanted to be rid of it. It's my opinion warranty limitations or not FOMOCO should take at least some responsibility for making and selling a product with an inherent defect, and later correcting the condition on future engines. It is well established that these trucks are purchased by some owners who expect them to run without a Major malfunction in excess of 200K mi

Old 09-09-2016, 11:23 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
New values

It people are worried about the values failing. I would suggest they replace the values with the newer values. Cheaper then a new engine.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:42 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by donovan
It people are worried about the values failing. I would suggest they replace the values with the newer values. Cheaper then a new engine.
My understanding is the new values are not compatible with the early 2011 builds.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:49 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Sorry - this is not necessarily true... With rare exception (racing / extreme duty) all valves start out life as two pieces and are resistance welded, machined, tempered, final polished and seats ground. I suspect that in the case of the early valves, there was a problem with the heat treatment of some of the valves.
Read through this thread for more info:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ked-block.html
Hi Randy,
My apologies and you are correct that it did have something to do with the heat treatment and a supplier manufacturing the values at the time of the early 2011's. I believe the initial diagnosis is the glow plug breaking and if so, there is a TSB that says don't tear down the engine any further and replace the block, or something to that effect.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No worrys here Bob...

I agree also that Ford needs to step up and recall these earlier trucks... It will be expensive for them, no doubt, but perhaps they'll do a better job of tracking the parts and components that went into these trucks.. The aircraft industry already does this and I'm dead certain that the cost of doing this is passed onto the customer and eventually all of us as consumers.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:57 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
2011 had GP issues too. Different damage then a dropped valve. Those are probably the motors that can just get a new piston and cylinder head work? Maybe m-chan can answer that.

Like Nipperdog, keeping one of these beasts past a warranty is too much stress for me. Unfortunately, it means I will always have a payment, but to me better to have that fixed cost then an unfortunate large expense. I also can't turn wrenches anymore either. I bought an extended warranty and just before that runs out, truck gets traded in. Realistically, after 5-6 years, I want the latest and greatest anyways. Just my .02. I can understand the need to have one for 10-15 years and put 300k+ on it without a motor issue.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:41 PM
knightrider955
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nu2deisel
What will he be able to do for me?

This is the best Powerstroke shop in the nation. Its all they work on. They would be able to answer any questions you may have honestly and provide some good advice.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by knightrider955
This is the best Powerstroke shop in the nation. Its all they work on. They would be able to answer any questions you may have honestly and provide some good advice.
Many of us would strongly disagree with that. Bill Hewitt is a charlatan who plays one on YouTube.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:30 PM
knightrider955
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
Many of us would strongly disagree with that. Bill Hewitt is a charlatan who plays one on YouTube.

He is the real deal. They are the best at what they do. Anyone who has ever owned a 6.0 done by them will tell you that.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:30 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by knightrider955
Yeah, um NO...do not go to Bill Hewett for advice. Just my humble, but accurate opinion.

Quick Reply: 2011 6.7 dropped #5 cylinder