General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Computer Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:06 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Computer Replacement?

I am as computer literate as a door **** and considering replacing my HP Pavilion dv 7, 17" screen, purchased 8 years ago.

I would appreciate if a member who is knowledgeable about computers would be able to look at the basic details and advise whether or not there would be any significant upgrade from what I have, not interested in 'touch screen', 'windows to', or any of the other bells and whistles, it would take too much grey matter on my part to learn, just the basics.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Replacement Computer:

Processor & Memory:
Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor at 2.5GHz
16GB DDR3 (2 DIMM) RAM
Drives:
1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner
Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional
Communications:
Intel® Wireless-AC WLAN + Bluetooth
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Dual Digital Microphone
Graphics & Video:
17.3" WLED HD+ BrightView (1600 x 900) Display
Intel Integrated 520 Graphics
Audio:
B&O PLAY Audio Processing
Keyboard:
Backlit Keyboard
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Computer

Processor: Intel ® Core™ 2Duo CPU L7350 @ 2.00GHz

Installed Memory 4.00 GB

System Type: 64 Bit operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium

Comments/Info appreciated.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:32 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
The replacement computer is a significant upgrade from the current one

It will do anything you need..

Probably more than what you need

I don't see anything that needs to be added

I assume they are both laptops given they are 17" screens

Most desktops are using 24" screens

Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by donjamer
The replacement computer is a significant upgrade from the current one

It will do anything you need..

Probably more than what you need

I don't see anything that needs to be added

I assume they are both laptops given they are 17" screens

Most desktops are using 24" screens
I greatly appreciate the information!!. Major box store is pushing Laptops, which is where I purchase my current computer 8 years ago. This computer is working fine, except for an occasional cyber meltdown. Have couple more days to think about it.

Again, I thank you!

Old 08-27-2016, 07:50 PM
donjamer
No problem it's what I do...LOL

Old 08-28-2016, 06:26 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
just make sure they give you what is advertised, and not an "upgraded for free" to win 10 machine. you absolutely do not want windows 10.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:33 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Tom, I thank you!! I would prefer if the item was in the store; so far, appears it will be shipped? Intend calling store prior to making decision to confirm; if not as described intend returning it.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:43 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
it will play games much better if your a gamer and that i7 has hyperthreading so each of the dual cores can do more than 1 task at once.
it will be smoother if your doing multiple heavy duty things like video editing/encoding.
if you just use your computer to hop online to check forums,play some basic games,surf the web and run other basic installed aps,then you would just be buying something you wont really make any use of, because right now that 2.2gig Duo with 4 gigs ram and win 7 is already overkill for this and if this is the case,then the 4 gig ram is already (at least) twice what you need so the 16 in the new pc would never do a thing for you.
unless your a hardcore gamer and working with a lot of hd video,you'll never push that i7 outside of what your current possessor could easily handle.
well,put it this way; unless you know why or better,then the odds are your current setup is probably already much more than what your making use of now.which is probably the case,based on your comments about just needing the basics.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:25 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
it will play games much better if your a gamer and that i7 has hyperthreading so each of the dual cores can do more than 1 task at once.
it will be smoother if your doing multiple heavy duty things like video editing/encoding.
if you just use your computer to hop online to check forums,play some basic games,surf the web and run other basic installed aps,then you would just be buying something you wont really make any use of, because right now that 2.2gig Duo with 4 gigs ram and win 7 is already overkill for this and if this is the case,then the 4 gig ram is already (at least) twice what you need so the 16 in the new pc would never do a thing for you.
unless your a hardcore gamer and working with a lot of hd video,you'll never push that i7 outside of what your current possessor could easily handle.
well,put it this way; unless you know why or better,then the odds are your current setup is probably already much more than what your making use of now.which is probably the case,based on your comments about just needing the basics.
I thank you for the comments!!

There are probly a number of features on my 8 year old computer I have not learn to put to use, but that holds true for most of the 'high tech' equipment; particularly with the various home entertainment components, I own today?? Having said that; kinda of the mind set, best to go big than upgrading later; particularly if the price is comparable to other computers that offer less? What a dilemma?

Old 08-29-2016, 01:35 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,681 Likes on 2,608 Posts
Hi Dave,

That's a very kick-butt system that you've selected. The processor hit the market about a year ago even though there are newer ones, the Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor is still current.

I'm guessing that the computer is going to cost you about $800. If that makes you nervous, there are a lot of computers out there that will do everything that a home user wants for about half that. If you decide to check out less pricey alternatives, the number 1 thing to keep in mind is that budget conscious systems are always short on memory. 4GB seems to be the default, but I've seen systems being offered with 2GB, 1GB, and even .5GB. 8GB is the least that you want and the 16GB in the one you've specked will make it as smooth as silk. You can probably save a few buck by dropping the size of the hard drive. Most people can't fill up 1TB with everything they create in their entire lives. But the price difference between a .5TB and a 1TB drive isn't much.

I'm about to start the process of replacing my old laptop and I could easily see myself looking at what you've got here. You should be very happy with it!

~Bass

Old 08-29-2016, 02:26 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Unfortunately the story of my life. Yesterday went to purchase only to find 'not in stock'? Went to Amz, just out of curiosity, and found a number of same name computers with various ingredients/software, and windows 7 or 8, and no touch screen, and cost less? Now, if only I knew the difference between a 'Notepad', 'Tablet', and Pro-Tab? Not to panic, as yet, current computer seems to be working?

I thank U's all for the input!!

Old 08-29-2016, 02:40 PM
donjamer
If you go to the Dell website you can still buy a new Windows 7 laptop
YOu need to look under the business section though..

They have an Inspiron 15 -5000 with an i7 processor, 8gb memory and 1 Tb hard drive for $749 and you even get a 32" lcd tv free

If you want a 17" monitor on the laptop it will run you $899

Old 08-29-2016, 04:37 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
I usually start at pricewatch.com when I wat a computer or parts. Navigating all of their stuff can get confusing, so start here:

Notebooks types, lowest prices found on web

Start with the processor you want and go from there. Many (or even most) of the listed systems can be tailored via the vendor's configuration editor.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:19 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Went to Dell's site, wow, free TV to boot. Browsing the various computer sources, by the time I filter out my options tends to narrow down to a selection of 1 or 2. Not familiar with Dell; having said that, receive an occasional 'Top10Review.com' report and yesterday they wrote a review on several comparable computers and gave Dell a Gold Rating in just about every category.

Yes, the 'pricewatch', for me, can be confusing but what a great site for a person to browse the various computer sources. I have done business with many of the outlets and would give them all high marks in customer service, never had an issue.

If I should come across an package I am not clear about, may post the spec's and ask for member's input?

Again, Thank U's all!!!

Old 08-29-2016, 05:27 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
My experience with Dell is that they are a great office computer, but pricey for a home system. Computer systems today are very reliable and even though Dell support is great, you're money ahead to buy a cheaper system.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:40 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went from this.....
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 129
Size:  16.2 KB
To my iPad. Lol

Quick Reply: Computer Replacement?