2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Drive the future Event - Houston, TX

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 06:31 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 2017 Drive the future Event - Houston, TX

Hi All,

Just attended the event in Houston TX. First off let me apologize for not being able to take measurements of the spare tire area or get pictures of the undercarriage. They were running pretty lean on trucks at this event and they were all being used for test drives.

On the other hand, i did get to drive a F-450 Platinum and the following are my impressions.

Just walking up to this truck and seeing it in person changed my perception. I like the truck before, but now that i have seen it in person, it is a beast. Meanest, toughest looking truck out there right now.

Opening the door and peering into the cab I was greeted with what appears to be a very refined, very welcoming interior. The seats were beautiful and leather seemed to completely cover just about everything.

The person giving me the test drive was very friendly and walked me through all of the tech goodies available. The 360 cameras are awesome and something i have been wanting to see in person for a while. Being able to take tight turns, maneuver around objects and just see what is around you is going to really be a valuable tool for me. Not worrying about hitting a post or falling in a ditch is going to be awesome.

The adaptive steering is immediately noticeable. As we left the parking area we have to maneuver through a maze of parked vehicles (no small feat for a dually) and this truck handles it like my wifes Explorer. It felt awesome.

As for ride quality, second to none. Both my wife and I had a chance to drive the F-450 and in her own words "This truck is as smooth as my explorer and actually feels more comfortable overall". She drives a 2015 Explorer Sport. I couldn't agree with her more. Comparing the ride to my 2014 F-350 SRW, there was definitely a difference and it was for the better. The 2017 felt more planted and smoother overall, even hitting every pot hole i could find.

Acceleration was nice, as the truck at wide open throttle frantically tries to get you into 4th gear so it can unleash the beast (925ft/lbs) onto the poor pavement. Super short shifts with that 4.3 rear end. We were up to 60 before i could even comment on the shifting. Turbo noise is a little more noticeable then on my 2014 but not in a negative way.

Overall, having been pining over this truck for quiet a long time, seeing her in person was like the culmination of months of internet dating and finding out that she is not just good looking with a great personality, but she is in fact a super model (a super duty super model?). I was grinning ear to ear and am now more excited than ever to be a part of the Ford family.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I will post the pictures i did take appended to this post after i get the girls to bed this evening.

Later guys!

Old 08-13-2016, 06:55 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by fidel.medrano
Hi All,

Just attended the event in Houston TX. First off let me apologize for not being able to take measurements of the spare tire area or get pictures of the undercarriage. They were running pretty lean on trucks at this event and they were all being used for test drives.

On the other hand, i did get to drive a F-450 Platinum and the following are my impressions.

Just walking up to this truck and seeing it in person changed my perception. I like the truck before, but now that i have seen it in person, it is a beast. Meanest, toughest looking truck out there right now.

Opening the door and peering into the cab I was greeted with what appears to be a very refined, very welcoming interior. The seats were beautiful and leather seemed to completely cover just about everything.

The person giving me the test drive was very friendly and walked me through all of the tech goodies available. The 360 cameras are awesome and something i have been wanting to see in person for a while. Being able to take tight turns, maneuver around objects and just see what is around you is going to really be a valuable tool for me. Not worrying about hitting a post or falling in a ditch is going to be awesome.

The adaptive steering is immediately noticeable. As we left the parking area we have to maneuver through a maze of parked vehicles (no small feat for a dually) and this truck handles it like my wifes Explore. It felt awesome.

As for ride quality, second to none. Both my wife and I had a chance to drive the F-450 and in her own words "This truck is as smooth as my explorer and actually feels more comfortable overall". She drives a 2015 Explorer Sport. I couldn't agree with her more. Comparing the ride to my 2014 F-350 SRW, there was definitely a difference and it was for the better. The 2017 felt more planted and smoother overall, even hitting every pot hole i could find.

Acceleration was nice, as the truck at wide open throttle frantically tries to get you into 4th gear so it can unleash the beast (925ft/lbs) onto the poor pavement. Super short shifts with that 4.3 rear end. We were up to 60 before i could even comment on the shifting. Turbo noise is a little more noticeable then on my 2014 but not in a negative way.

Overall, having been pining over this truck for quiet a long time, seeing her in person was like the culmination of months of internet dating and finding out that she is not just good looking with a great personality, but she is in fact a super model (a super duty super model?). I was grinning ear to ear and am now more excited than ever to be a part of the Ford family.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I will post the pictures i did take appended to this post after i get the girls to bed this evening.

Later guys!
Thanks for the update. Only comment I have is that the 350 Dually and 450 unleash all 925 lb ft in second gear. The only reduction is first gear.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Azuretruck
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for posting. After reading your post I cannot wait to get my F450. I am going to the Dallas event in 2 weeks. Can't wait.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:27 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
You're welcome Azuretruck. I can say without a doubt you won't be disappointed. I didn't mention the widetrack steering but that baby feels like it can turn on a dime. When you cut it all the way and do circles it feels like the cab is actually sliding sideways a little bit lol.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:19 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The main thing that has me leaning towards the f350 lwb vs the f450 is the ride (and parking). I'm really looking forward to a test drive myself. For daily driving empty 90% of the time, a smooth ride is important. Safely towing my 5th wheel is also important. I'm well under the axle ratings for 2017, but will be around 500# over my gvwr. Naturally, I'd be under all of my limits with a f450.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:23 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
What a great post. 😎

Old 08-14-2016, 06:26 PM
jackfordsd350
Laughing Gas
Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts
Thanks....Enjoyed the post.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:06 PM
wharrell
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am registered for the event here in Western NC in early September.

Is there any way to get a firm appointment and I presume if you are registered and a current customer and buyer for the 2017 that they will address all of your questions, allow a brief test drive and not have you wait behind anyone that walks up without a preregistration?

Old 08-15-2016, 08:49 PM
05yuk
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I also attended the event in Houston and was very impressed by the trucks. Glad I hit the event at the right time and only had to wait 20 min or so to drive the truck pictured. I was disappointed there was not more trucks there. They said the day before the was a constant almost 2 hour wait to drive the diesel.
I wish the diesel truck would have been a single rear wheel truck as I do not think many people are going to be lining up to buy a 450.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:56 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
the day i went they had 2 other SRW diesels and 1 gas. We got there about 1030 saturday and waited about 30 minutes or so. Not too bad. I drove the F450 then my wife drove (in the picture). Got me 2 free ford hats too :P

Old 08-15-2016, 09:04 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by fidel.medrano
the day i went they had 2 other SRW diesels and 1 gas. We got there about 1030 saturday and waited about 30 minutes or so. Not too bad. I drove the F450 then my wife drove (in the picture). Got me 2 free ford hats too :P
Nice truck, thanks for pics. On the side view with your wife driving, look how poorly the paint on the fuel door matches the rest of the truck. I know, preproduction.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:19 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by troverman
Nice truck, thanks for pics. On the side view with your wife driving, look how poorly the paint on the fuel door matches the rest of the truck. I know, preproduction.
Troverman....NO WAY that fuel door was a different color then the rest of the truck. Look at the other pic...it HAS to be the lighting. I seriously doubt they would bring a truck to a drive event without a good paint job. Yes...I see what you are seeing also...but I bet it is just the fact the door is separate and the light is hitting it different. (look at the 5th pic down)

Old 08-15-2016, 09:21 PM
JKingRLMC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again for the review of the event and truck. After reading and looking over the pictures I am even more excited now to take this truck for a spin at the Big D event next week. Hopefully this event will help clear up my concerns on jumping up to a 450 so I can get my order placed.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:40 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
I actually took a real close look at the fuel door and it is exactly the same color. It does feel weird though not being steel. Still feels ok but not as solid as a steel door.

One thing I didn't mention. The key fob is SOLID. Feels like it belongs with the truck. Not like the little explorer key fobs. Make sure and check it out.

I was a little concerned with the jump from a f350 srw to a f450 beast. After the drive all concerns were gone

Old 08-16-2016, 12:53 PM
ravill
Senior User
Great post! Any pics of the interior?

This is my first american truck and I'm going all out with the F-450 Plat. I NEVER want to ask myself "Can I tow it?" ever again!

Quick Reply: 2017 Drive the future Event - Houston, TX