2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Purpose of "Extra Heavy Duty Alternator" and "Medium Duty Battery"

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:53 AM
DaleBenson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purpose of "Extra Heavy Duty Alternator" and "Medium Duty Battery"

Under what circumstances might I wish I had selected the "Extra Heavy Duty Alternator" (+$85) or the "Medium Duty Battery" (+$210) options on my 250 Platinum?
This truck will be our daily driver and will be used to occasionally tow a 27' Airstream trailer.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:02 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DaleBenson
Under what circumstances might I wish I had selected the "Extra Heavy Duty Alternator" (+$85) or the "Medium Duty Battery" (+$210) options on my 250 Platinum?
This truck will be our daily driver and will be used to occasionally tow a 27' Airstream trailer.
Depending on what packages you select when ordering, they might be included automatically. On a cold morning when the rapid heat and four seat heaters are all going at once, that's a fair amp load. My order just included the duals and I didn't have to select it.

Otherwise, I think the dual alternators would be needed if you start mounting accessories that draw lots of power.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:15 AM
DaleBenson
New User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Depending on what packages you select when ordering, they might be included automatically. On a cold morning when the rapid heat and four seat heaters are all going at once, that's a fair amp load. My order just included the duals and I didn't have to select it.

Otherwise, I think the dual alternators would be needed if you start mounting accessories that draw lots of power.
Thank you. I probably should have used the word "benefit" instead of "purpose" in my title. I added only the Platinum Ultimate package in my original order. 6.2 gas engine. No Upfitter switches. I have not yet received a VIN and was just wondering if there might be any reason to edit my order to include either of these two items.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:23 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 540 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by DaleBenson
Thank you. I probably should have used the word "benefit" instead of "purpose" in my title. I added only the Platinum Ultimate package in my original order. 6.2 gas engine. No Upfitter switches. I have not yet received a VIN and was just wondering if there might be any reason to edit my order to include either of these two items.
The 6.2L can only have one alternator. But for the first time, it can have dual batteries. These batteries say "medium duty" but they are exactly the same 78AH / 750CCA batteries as found in the diesel. You can never go wrong with more power, but its not necessary.

I used to drive an Audi A8 with a heated steering wheel and 4 heated seats. That car had a 150A Bosch alternator and never had a shortage of electrical power. The most basic battery in the Super Duty is 157A. The diesels can hit a ridiculous 377A between two alternators (mine is configured this way automatically due to options ordered).

I think really the only time where more juice would be appreciated would be operating a 12k lb winch, or maybe a plow. But I still think the 157A would be OK.

I think on a Platinum 6.2L, you're going to get at least 200A, which is way more than enough. But like I say, more power is always a good thing!

Old 08-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Notice to there are numerous alternator options. Standard, extra heavy duty, extra extra heavy duty, dual, heavy duty dual (note that only 1 of the 2 is heavy duty). This is from the order guide. A little hard to read cut and paste from the PDF. Options such as cab heat, camper pkg, upfitter switchs all play into mandating the options.
Extra Heavy-Duty Alternator – 200 Amp w/6.2L
engine; 220 Amp w/6.7L Power Stroke® Diesel
engine (required w/Snow Plow Pkg.(473),
Upfitter Switches (66S) or 110V/400W Outlet
(43C); on XL and XLT NA w/Snow Plow Pkg.
(473), Upfitter Switches (66S) and 110V/400W
Outlet (43C) is ordered together)

Extra Extra Heavy-Duty Alternator (req. 6.2L
engine; 240 Amp; required w/Snow Plow Pkg.
Outlet (43C) is ordered together)

Dual Alternators (req. 6.7L Power Stroke®
Diesel engine; required w/Snow Plow Pkg.
Outlet (43C) is ordered together; total of 332
Amp)

Dual Extra Heavy-Duty Alternator (req. 6.7L
Power Stroke® Diesel engine; total of 377
Amp; required w/41A Rapid-Heat Supplemental
Heater)

Old 08-10-2016, 12:25 PM
gotroxs
Senior User
I am going with the upgraded alternators for the sole purpose of getting additonal charge going to the batteries in the 5th wheel. I have 4 6 volt batteries and just like to have them topped off when we take them out.

Not sure it will make a difference but the cost is not a lot so I will give it a shot.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gotroxs
I am going with the upgraded alternators for the sole purpose of getting additonal charge going to the batteries in the 5th wheel. I have 4 6 volt batteries and just like to have them topped off when we take them out.

Not sure it will make a difference but the cost is not a lot so I will give it a shot.
Due to options I will have the "heavy duty dual alternator" package. I always panned the idea of dual alternators but over the past 4 years I have lost my single alternator twice. I was never in danger of losing battery charge but I can imagine a time on the road away from my own resources and having a failure. The dual setup should get me all the way home without incident. Now I need to convince the charging system on the camper that plenty of power is available to recharge the camper batteries which may mean changing out the built in charge system.