Sponsored by:

Chasing Down a Noisy Sub-Woofer

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chasing Down a Noisy Sub-Woofer

I've had a Bazooka tube in the 3rd row footwell of my Ex since almost new.

I noticed recently that it was picking up an incredible amount of noise. Last year I installed an iPod iSimple adapter that plugs in between the radio plugs and radio...but I can't see a reason why this would be connected to the problem.

I first ran a new, temporary positive lead from the battery completely outside the truck. No change. I then did the same with the ground. No change. I next started disconnecting the speaker line inputs one and a time...the noise got less and less when each one was removed...pulling both + and - one at a time.

I then thought it might be the wire that triggers it to turn on with the ignition so I used the positive lead to both power the unit and switch it on.

The noise is prevalent when the key is turned to the on position....engine running or not. Radio on or not. It's quiet in the ACC position. Considering that it is being fed by the speaker lines, I'd assume to hear the same noise from the speakers but they don't exhibit the noise.

I then hooked up the Bazooka from a power supply and fed it from the garage stereo. No noise.

I'm assuming that there's something in the truck when the key is on causing this....but I can't even begin to think what could be the cause. Glad for your thoughts before I just pull it out for good.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:41 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Possible your power/ground and input wires are too close and causing noise in the system... I always run power down one side, and the RCA/input down the passenger side. How long is your ground wire? It should be 18" or less and grounded to bare metal.

Another possibility is the auto-on feature, is it wired using the remote wire (orange IIRC)? Also, which hook ups are you using, the low or high?

I'm assuming when you hooked it up to remote garage power, you had no speaker input wires connected? If you remove them and the noise disappears, then you have a signal interference issue somewhere in the vehicle.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:01 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Matt..

The power wire is run one one side...but I have to run one side's speaker wires on the same side as those are on both sides of the truck. Ground is short.

Auto on wire was swapped and connected to the battery feed...the noise remains.

Using speaker line level inputs...have nothing else to use with the factory stereo. I did hook up speaker lines from the garage stereo while bench testing...no noise.

I agree it's signal interference, but only when the ignition is in the "run" position. No noise heard from the factory speakers.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:04 AM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it speaker wire or rca cables that run to your woofer? Try installing a ground loop isolator or rf filter to clean up the signal or eliminate interference.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:39 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Speaker line inputs...

I do have a noise reducer on the power side, but it makes no difference

Old 08-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you tried calling Crutchfield's help line? They've been extremely helpful for my issues in the past, even when they discovered I hadn't purchased the problem child from them. I have an order history with them for nearly a decade though.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:01 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Hadn't thought of calling them, although I've done a fair amount of business with them over the years. This tube was first installed in my former 94 Bronco when it was new and swapped into the Excursion when it was almost new. I had an issue with it and Bazooka either repaired or replaced the the amp portion...but it's so long ago I can't remember when that was.