1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait for a 17 or grab a 16????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:03 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Isn't the 17 re-bodied with the homogenized blaa 150 cab? (updated? err rather down dated) Yuk! That would be the deciding factor for me. I like the model differentiation. Looks like 16 is as far as I want to go for a while. The 17 IMO is not pretty, certainly no match for the 11-16s look. All my own opinion of course. Is the 250+ getting the aluminum treatment as well???

Old 08-02-2016, 03:08 PM
camminich
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Isn't the 17 re-bodied with the homogenized blaa 150 cab? (updated? err rather down dated) Yuk! That would be the deciding factor for me. I like the model differentiation. Looks like 16 is as far as I want to go for a while. The 17 IMO is not pretty, certainly no match for the 11-16s look. All my own opinion of course. Is the 250+ getting the aluminum treatment as well???
The interior of the new F250 appears to be a clone of the F150. I think they made the steering wheel smaller? Of course pointing our reasons why a 16 may be better could drive up the price...

Old 08-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
If it were me, I would either get the best deal on a '16 when the '17's hit the lot, or if I wanted the latest/greatest, wait till late '17 builds. Hopefully by then the major bugs would be exterminated!!! I will not buy the first that hit the lot. Have been the guinea pig enough!

Old 08-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
If I were you, I'd keep driving that beautiful '02. Why make payments on something you put that few miles on? 24k in 15 years? That's only 1600/yr. Payment on the new one will be around $500-550/mo. Hard to swallow $6,000/yr/1600 miles=$3.75/mile just to drive a shiny new truck when you have a shiny used one already.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:26 PM
jasoncarpenter1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got huge discounts and cash incentives when I got my 2016 SD. Although the new 2017's are nice in my opinion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 2016's...... X2 keep what you have.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:48 PM
Addison86
Mountain Pass
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom N OH
If I were you, I'd keep driving that beautiful '02. Why make payments on something you put that few miles on? 24k in 15 years? That's only 1600/yr. Payment on the new one will be around $500-550/mo. Hard to swallow $6,000/yr/1600 miles=$3.75/mile just to drive a shiny new truck when you have a shiny used one already.
Smartest response yet. If that's as much as you use your truck, just continue to use the 02. It will outlive you at that rate.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:11 AM
SLDNX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Addison86
Smartest response yet. If that's as much as you use your truck, just continue to use the 02. It will outlive you at that rate.
Good point, and trust me it still crosses my mind!!!

I love the truck, it works great and it truly is like new. But......after having it for this long, seeing the new ones, riding in the new ones and driving the new ones, a guy cannot help but get the bug to upgrade. There are a lot of comforts and amenities that would be nice when a guy is using it, plus just having something different to play with, and make your own again is always fun and rewarding!!!

Obviously I don't upgrade "my" travel / pulling truck very often but we do upgrade my wife's SUV every 4 or 5 years and she is currently in a, ahhh....., don't yell at me, I know.....a GM product.. The wife drives a Caddy Escalade (happy wife / happy life) for her daily driver and with all its bells and whistles, its pretty damn nice, even for a GM product. So add in driving that and driving some buddies newer rigs, bug has bitten me and I'm looking.........

Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't think upgrading every 15 years is that bad of a time frame. Based on how long you have kept your last SD, I recommend the 16 for sure. It is highly likely the 17s will be 'buggy', at least initially; the 16 is the last year of this series. Most of the 'bugs' have been worked out of this line-up.

Good luck with your choice! As you can see a lot of us have no problem spending your money!

Old 08-03-2016, 08:01 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There's actually more discounts on the 16 then that.
Of course there are more discounts, I'm doing the honest rebate comparison. If you have additional rebates that you qualify for, they apply to both trucks. Other discounts are difference from MSRP to offset from invoice sale price, and frankly they will be about the same on either truck if you are working with the right sales person. The $10k off is a load of dummy advertising IMO, but if you're at the same dealership, they'll make up the numbers the same way on either truck. Advertising laws vary greatly by state, but you don't actually get a better deal in one vs the other when the final numbers come down. My point is, the only actual difference in price should be the difference in invoice cost and any difference in rebates, so $2-3k tops.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:46 PM
jasoncarpenter1
Senior User
Wait isn't your 2002 and the 2016 basically the same platform? 2017 is a completely redesigned truck. **** it sell 2002 and get the new 2017............

Old 08-04-2016, 05:23 PM
DallasSuperCrew
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
+1.
I had a chance to sit in the 2017 F250 at the state fair of Texas. It's a copy of F150 interior. The exterior, however, might grow on me but at the moment I'd take mine over the redesign. I should've taken some pic.s, but didn't think about it since the guy responsible for keeping the truck "locked" let me jump in for a Sec.
The height was the same as the current 2016. Both FX4's parked side by side.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SLDNX
Been looking at upgrading and leaning towards a gasser but Just like it says, what are your guys thoughts? Try and find a discounted 16 that is set up close to what a guy wants or wait and pay more for the new 17???

I've come across one Platinum gasser that is discounted out 10K without even calling them but..........I sure would like to take a look at these new 17's in person. But........obviously I'm gonna have to pay for that!!!

I love the interior on the new 17's but the jury is still out on the new front end.

What to do???????
I recently made this very choice. I had a 2015 F-150 Lariat 501A with the FX4 and Sport Appearance packages prior to getting my 2016 F-250 Lariat Ultimate with the FX4 package. I have only seen the 2017 Super Duty in person at an auto show. I haven't been inside one but the pictures are pretty telling. It uses the same seats and 95% of the interior and cab of the F-150 so I think I can add some insight here.

First, consider the discounts. I picked my 2016 Super Duty up for almost $16,000 off MSRP. That's a significant savings. I've got virtually every option aside from the Platinum's massaging seats. That puts the price of my truck into F-150 territory. Actually, it puts it into F-150 Lariat territory as far as price goes. I needed the capability of the Super Duty and frankly, I've always wanted one. It's the truck I've wanted and I kept settling for F-150's. That's probably why I've had four of them and this is my first Super Duty. In any case, I had my 2015 F-150 for over a year. While the interior is usually an upgrade in most respects, it does suffer in a number of areas. The costs for building these trucks went up for Ford and there is some evident cost cutting to minimize the impact to profit margins. Ford increased the overall cost of the trucks by nearly 10% on the high end trim levels compared to 2014. The same thing is true of the 2017 Super Duty.

The LCD productivity, gauge cluster area, ambient lighting, twin panel moon roof, adaptive steering, soft touch surfaces and other improvements really do take things up a notch. I don't know of the Super Duty will inherit the sport mode of the F-150, but it's quite spectacular and fun to drive an F-150 with that on. Being able to lock out gears and see what gear you are in is also great. If you buy the higher end trim levels the technology package with parking assistance, active cruise control, 360 cameras and things like that are very cool. On the outside you have LED bed lighting, the box link system, box steps and auto locking tailgates. I do prefer the upfitter switch location and the amount of switches on the new trucks though. That's a nice change.

When I talk about cost cutting, most of it isn't readily apparent. Aesthetically the interior is much nicer and more modern. Unfortunately, there are some quality issues with the F-150's interior design. Again the Super Duty and F-150 will share the entire cab assembly, with different sheet metal on the doors and a slightly different dash on the passenger side. First and foremost the interior plastics on the new design are thinner than they are on the out going Super Duty. They do not feel as rugged. The soft touch surfaces seem nice at first, but the leather isn't of good quality if it's even leather at all. The console mounted shifter is cool and looks great. It's even a nice place to rest your hand but it does eat up a lot of console space. Some people don't like that. I did, but once I got into the Super Duty I found I liked the room afforded by the relocation to the column to be my preference.

Leg room is reduced if anything for the driver. I don't know what the actual specs say but the door panels, fatter console or something make it feel more cramped. It's still roomy enough but I find I have more room in the outgoing model. The new model may be better on the passenger side. I don't know. The F-150 offers more passenger area leg room but I don't know if that translates to the 2017 Super Duty or not. In the back, the load floor is flat (as it is in my 2016 SD) so that's the same. I do not know if the locking storage found in the outgoing trucks on some models exists on the new truck or not. It doesn't on the F-150. There is slightly more leg room in the back of the cab on the F-150. It isn't much and in fact my passengers that used to ride in my F-150 didn't even notice and when asked they said it was the same. I know it isn't, but they say it is. There are more power ports on the outgoing model as well. Although the inverter is more powerful on the new trucks. Whether or not the SD models will get as many cigarette style ports as the outgoing trucks have is unknown to me.

The ***** on the HVAC system and radio feel better in the older model. They in fact look almost the same, but there is a more positive click with the older ones. The location of the NAV system is better on the outgoing models as far as I am concerned. I also believe that ergonomically the older trucks do some things a bit better. The lighting controls on the new truck are a mess. They aren't as intuitive on the new truck. Also the location of the trailer brake sucks and the power port in the dash doesn't feel as solid. The console in the new truck lets the removable tray slide around. In the old trucks it stays put. I also believe the big part of the console is larger on the older model.

Last but not least is the seat discussion. This is actually where the new interior cuts the most corners and frankly, this is going to be the biggest issue I see with the new trucks. If you aren't aware, there is a seat cooling design flaw in the 2015+ F-150's in which the TED has no way to exhaust heat generated by the system. It soaks in the seat back and eliminates the cooling provided in the seat back at best. At worst, it has burned people. There isn't much of an intake either, but that was corrected via a TSB which includes a "sock" on the intake. The sock sometimes collapses which keeps air from getting into the system. Again, cooling suffers. There is a guy on the f150forum.com who makes some 3D printed parts to help with this issue. It's not the cheapest thing out there but it's the only game in town and it works better than the stock configuration.

You can read the thread here.

Additionally, the leather on the new seats is terrible. They've gone to less stitching and larger pieces as it was explained to me. The leather isn't as supple and it bunches up around the edges and seams. It looks terrible on many of the trucks that have this problem. Apparently it's glued to the seat foam and comes loose. In any case, the foam is harder, the cooling function sucks *** and the leather looks terrible when it bunches up. Ford isn't going to do anything about this issue either. You can read all about that in the thread I linked above as well. The seats in my 2016 Super Duty cool better and are more comfortable by a long shot.

I do not like getting the first year of a redesign. I did that with my 2003 Silverado and got burned badly. I took a chance on the 2015 F-150 and while that worked out decently, it still wasn't as trouble free as my other F-150's. The current (2016) Super Duty will do everything I'll ever need a truck to do and then some. It also is a proven design which has matured and has relatively few issues. Even if there are problems, they are well documented at this point and can be dealt with. I want my truck to just work. There were a few other issues with the 2015 F-150 that pushed me into the Super Duty, but those issues probably won't translate to the new 2017 Super Duty. We'll have to see. Ultimately, things like the bed lighting I can do myself. I don't need the active parking assist or trailer backup features. I didn't have them on my F-150 either. Aesthetically I like the older Super Duty better. Interior wise the new truck is more modern and looks better even if not everything about it is an improvement. If the seats were better I'd be more supportive of the new truck.

That said, I made my choice because I didn't want to deal with first year BS on the 2017's and I didn't want to pay the higher costs associated with them. There won't be deals on the new trucks for quite some time and these things are already in the stratosphere as it is. I'm very happy with my 2016 SD and I'm sure I'd like the 2017's for the most part as well. After a couple years of smoothing things out I'm sure they'll be great. I wouldn't pick one up until the 2016's are cleared out and some end of the year or truck month rebates come around but that's just me.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:38 PM
DallasSuperCrew
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasSuperCrew
My F-150 wasn't perfect, but I didn't have the wind noise or any of the problems that guy did. The only things I had issues with were the seat cooling, bunched up seat leather and a faulty front passenger side shock which was replaced under warranty.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:03 PM
SLDNX
Senior User
WOW, great info and thanks!!!

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
I recently made this very choice. I had a 2015 F-150 Lariat 501A with the FX4 and Sport Appearance packages prior to getting my 2016 F-250 Lariat Ultimate with the FX4 package. I have only seen the 2017 Super Duty in person at an auto show. I haven't been inside one but the pictures are pretty telling. It uses the same seats and 95% of the interior and cab of the F-150 so I think I can add some insight here.

First, consider the discounts. I picked my 2016 Super Duty up for almost $16,000 off MSRP. That's a significant savings. I've got virtually every option aside from the Platinum's massaging seats. That puts the price of my truck into F-150 territory. Actually, it puts it into F-150 Lariat territory as far as price goes. I needed the capability of the Super Duty and frankly, I've always wanted one. It's the truck I've wanted and I kept settling for F-150's. That's probably why I've had four of them and this is my first Super Duty. In any case, I had my 2015 F-150 for over a year. While the interior is usually an upgrade in most respects, it does suffer in a number of areas. The costs for building these trucks went up for Ford and there is some evident cost cutting to minimize the impact to profit margins. Ford increased the overall cost of the trucks by nearly 10% on the high end trim levels compared to 2014. The same thing is true of the 2017 Super Duty.

The LCD productivity, gauge cluster area, ambient lighting, twin panel moon roof, adaptive steering, soft touch surfaces and other improvements really do take things up a notch. I don't know of the Super Duty will inherit the sport mode of the F-150, but it's quite spectacular and fun to drive an F-150 with that on. Being able to lock out gears and see what gear you are in is also great. If you buy the higher end trim levels the technology package with parking assistance, active cruise control, 360 cameras and things like that are very cool. On the outside you have LED bed lighting, the box link system, box steps and auto locking tailgates. I do prefer the upfitter switch location and the amount of switches on the new trucks though. That's a nice change.

When I talk about cost cutting, most of it isn't readily apparent. Aesthetically the interior is much nicer and more modern. Unfortunately, there are some quality issues with the F-150's interior design. Again the Super Duty and F-150 will share the entire cab assembly, with different sheet metal on the doors and a slightly different dash on the passenger side. First and foremost the interior plastics on the new design are thinner than they are on the out going Super Duty. They do not feel as rugged. The soft touch surfaces seem nice at first, but the leather isn't of good quality if it's even leather at all. The console mounted shifter is cool and looks great. It's even a nice place to rest your hand but it does eat up a lot of console space. Some people don't like that. I did, but once I got into the Super Duty I found I liked the room afforded by the relocation to the column to be my preference.

Leg room is reduced if anything for the driver. I don't know what the actual specs say but the door panels, fatter console or something make it feel more cramped. It's still roomy enough but I find I have more room in the outgoing model. The new model may be better on the passenger side. I don't know. The F-150 offers more passenger area leg room but I don't know if that translates to the 2017 Super Duty or not. In the back, the load floor is flat (as it is in my 2016 SD) so that's the same. I do not know if the locking storage found in the outgoing trucks on some models exists on the new truck or not. It doesn't on the F-150. There is slightly more leg room in the back of the cab on the F-150. It isn't much and in fact my passengers that used to ride in my F-150 didn't even notice and when asked they said it was the same. I know it isn't, but they say it is. There are more power ports on the outgoing model as well. Although the inverter is more powerful on the new trucks. Whether or not the SD models will get as many cigarette style ports as the outgoing trucks have is unknown to me.

The ***** on the HVAC system and radio feel better in the older model. They in fact look almost the same, but there is a more positive click with the older ones. The location of the NAV system is better on the outgoing models as far as I am concerned. I also believe that ergonomically the older trucks do some things a bit better. The lighting controls on the new truck are a mess. They aren't as intuitive on the new truck. Also the location of the trailer brake sucks and the power port in the dash doesn't feel as solid. The console in the new truck lets the removable tray slide around. In the old trucks it stays put. I also believe the big part of the console is larger on the older model.

Last but not least is the seat discussion. This is actually where the new interior cuts the most corners and frankly, this is going to be the biggest issue I see with the new trucks. If you aren't aware, there is a seat cooling design flaw in the 2015+ F-150's in which the TED has no way to exhaust heat generated by the system. It soaks in the seat back and eliminates the cooling provided in the seat back at best. At worst, it has burned people. There isn't much of an intake either, but that was corrected via a TSB which includes a "sock" on the intake. The sock sometimes collapses which keeps air from getting into the system. Again, cooling suffers. There is a guy on the f150forum.com who makes some 3D printed parts to help with this issue. It's not the cheapest thing out there but it's the only game in town and it works better than the stock configuration.

You can read the thread here.

Additionally, the leather on the new seats is terrible. They've gone to less stitching and larger pieces as it was explained to me. The leather isn't as supple and it bunches up around the edges and seams. It looks terrible on many of the trucks that have this problem. Apparently it's glued to the seat foam and comes loose. In any case, the foam is harder, the cooling function sucks *** and the leather looks terrible when it bunches up. Ford isn't going to do anything about this issue either. You can read all about that in the thread I linked above as well. The seats in my 2016 Super Duty cool better and are more comfortable by a long shot.

I do not like getting the first year of a redesign. I did that with my 2003 Silverado and got burned badly. I took a chance on the 2015 F-150 and while that worked out decently, it still wasn't as trouble free as my other F-150's. The current (2016) Super Duty will do everything I'll ever need a truck to do and then some. It also is a proven design which has matured and has relatively few issues. Even if there are problems, they are well documented at this point and can be dealt with. I want my truck to just work. There were a few other issues with the 2015 F-150 that pushed me into the Super Duty, but those issues probably won't translate to the new 2017 Super Duty. We'll have to see. Ultimately, things like the bed lighting I can do myself. I don't need the active parking assist or trailer backup features. I didn't have them on my F-150 either. Aesthetically I like the older Super Duty better. Interior wise the new truck is more modern and looks better even if not everything about it is an improvement. If the seats were better I'd be more supportive of the new truck.

That said, I made my choice because I didn't want to deal with first year BS on the 2017's and I didn't want to pay the higher costs associated with them. There won't be deals on the new trucks for quite some time and these things are already in the stratosphere as it is. I'm very happy with my 2016 SD and I'm sure I'd like the 2017's for the most part as well. After a couple years of smoothing things out I'm sure they'll be great. I wouldn't pick one up until the 2016's are cleared out and some end of the year or truck month rebates come around but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Wait for a 17 or grab a 16????