Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

'78 F150 Ranger Lariat (restoration???)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:16 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I used to have an old beat up Pontiac that turned out to have a bent flywheel. I was worried that was your problem here too. Glad it's not does get frustrating at times that's why I say don't give up. Keep at it man you'll get there!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 AM
DB429SCJ
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Congrats!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 AM
quest4reds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nailed it!

Originally Posted by DB429SCJ
Congrats!
You called this pretty early on, bad starter drive. I am still glad I did the other stuff along the way, got a little more familiar with everything and got some wrench time in. Next time maybe I'll just PM you

Old 08-08-2016, 05:40 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Ok, so next project is fuel system and brakes. Am going soup to nuts with full replacement of just about everything I can think of. Fuel tank, straps, sending unit, fuel lines, what am I missing?

Brakes will start with MC and booster, all new lines, drums, shoes springs rotors calipers, everything. Am I missing anything here?

That being said, is there a good place I can order a complete set that is good to go for each?

Old 08-08-2016, 07:54 PM
quest4reds
Senior User

Seat and carpet removed.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 AM
quest4reds
Senior User

First gas tank removal.

Removed the old gas tank today. Didn't go quite as smoothly as I would have liked but as it was the first time I ever did it and I was by myself, and I lived to post about it, I guess it went well.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I'd call that a success then! And btw those floors are in very good condition for being close to 40 years old! No holes that I can see. It looks like you're making good progress! Keep up the good work and these guys are here to help if you need them. For me, it's been a long time since I've worked on something this old. I don't have much experience with these dent sides

Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
There are a couple smallish holes through the floor pans, one about baseball size, but I know I can weld another pan in with my neighbors help, he has a'65 Chevelle that looked like the flintstone's car when he got it, feet to the ground!

I try to do something to the truck each day if only looking for the next thing to do or something I need to think about for the future. Next item will be new fuel tank, waiting to see how Riley's tank he's getting from Amazon works out, followed by new brake system pretty much top to bottom.

Thanks to ubereal2 for talking with me on the phone and helping me get my plan together for the brake system.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Does your truck have the dual tanks? If so, are you replacing just one or both tanks? Just curious...

Anyway, Good for you though for knowing what you can do, and what you can't do! You know what the limitations are of your skills and knowledge; and aren't afraid to ask for help when needed. This truck will definitely teach you a few new skills, too!

Old 08-10-2016, 06:12 PM
RileyCarroll
Senior User
My Amazon tank came in today, no dents or scratches, It's nicely made and seems higher quality, I would recommend getting your tank from them. Also make sure to change the filter after you replace tank and lines. If you have eec, your tank has a hole in the top, and it's important to get the corresponding tank

Old 08-10-2016, 06:53 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
@Pgh Rebel: I have only one tank. After further inspection after dropping my tank, I may reuse it, not as bad as I thought it was. Will do visual inspection through the fill port opening and thorough cleaning if I go that route.

@RileyCarroll: I do not have an EEC tank, no hole on top, no charcoal canister. Glad to hear your tank appears good, I'm interested to see how the sending unit fits and works for you. What hose sizes does that tank have? One more thing, I was reading another post and the guy said to notch the frame so the fill hose isn't squeezed between the frame and the bed, will take care of slow fill problems. If I go that route I'm going to box in the frame section around that area to reinforce it.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Good idea if you can reuse it. That'll save you some money! Does anyone still boil fuel tanks clean anymore? I remember that was the old way of doing it, don't know if anyone's still doing it that way or not?? Cleaning the old tank has to be cheaper than buying a new one, right?

Old 08-10-2016, 09:36 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Tank boiling

Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
Good idea if you can reuse it. That'll save you some money! Does anyone still boil fuel tanks clean anymore? I remember that was the old way of doing it, don't know if anyone's still doing it that way or not?? Cleaning the old tank has to be cheaper than buying a new one, right?
Well if the inside looks good after visual, this guy will be boiling it, got a big fire pit out back. Gas in the tank should help it heat up quick

Old 08-10-2016, 09:42 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by quest4reds
There are a couple smallish holes through the floor pans, one about baseball size, but I know I can weld another pan in with my neighbors help, he has a'65 Chevelle that looked like the flintstone's car when he got it, feet to the ground!

I try to do something to the truck each day if only looking for the next thing to do or something I need to think about for the future. Next item will be new fuel tank, waiting to see how Riley's tank he's getting from Amazon works out, followed by new brake system pretty much top to bottom.

Thanks to ubereal2 for talking with me on the phone and helping me get my plan together for the brake system.
Truck is looking great. Keep up the good work. Once you start these projects, it seems like it will never end snd there's always one more thing. Make it safe first and tackle those big things and then it's just a million little fun things..lol
Bob's a great guy and a wealth of info. If you are lucky enough he will show you that monster he has parked in his yard..haha. truly an awesome site to see and hear with those stacks!!

Old 08-10-2016, 09:50 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by axidjw
Truck is looking great. Keep up the good work. Once you start these projects, it seems like it will never end snd there's always one more thing. Make it safe first and tackle those big things and then it's just a million little fun things..lol
Bob's a great guy and a wealth of info. If you are lucky enough he will show you that monster he has parked in his yard..haha. truly an awesome site to see and hear with those stacks!!
Thanks. I am pretty much learning as I go, having so much fun I haven't even been fishing since June!

Grateful I got to speak with Bob and he took the time to educate me and settle me down a little. There are so many things going through my head, and he got me focused on the important stuff, the big things as you said to make it safe. And I am looking forward to meeting Ka'bluey

Quick Reply: '78 F150 Ranger Lariat (restoration???)