1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

WANT TO TRASH TURN SIGNALS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
WANT TO TRASH TURN SIGNALS

Good morning. I always forget why my blood pressure goes sky high when I think about working around the grill, headlights and turn signals. Then it hits me......TURN SIGNALS. Specifically the housing. Everything about them is bad either by original design or by misfitting after market parts. Don't try to talk me off of the ledge. I am going to make a change. I'm currently looking for an option of headlights with turn signals built in. Also looking for any aftermarket signal housing not specifically for the '56. What have you men done or seen done? Thanks, Matt

Old 07-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Rusted56
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen some sharp looking headlights with LED's in the top corner or on the outside for exactly that purpose. Don't tell the stockers......

http://haloheadlights.co/ProdTurnSignalHeadlights/

Last edited by Rusted56; 07-12-2016 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-13-2016, 12:27 PM
filthy6
Elder User
I have found halogen with LED turn signals and LED with LED turn signals. Both look pretty dang modern for my heap. Not much in the way of instructions either. Wondering if the LED is going to require any additional wiring, resistors, relays or whatever.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:38 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 469 Likes on 305 Posts
My 56 has a 53 grille so I have had some very challenging issues with parking light housings. I am making a mold of the area between the headlight bucket in the grille and the valence panel. I intend to keep the 56 parking light lens but will fabricate the housing from scratch. I wish that I were farther along but unfortunately this task is rather far down the list.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 07-13-2016, 11:48 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Hey Drew, I always love to see your truck and I like the lights where you designed them. I am going to try to keep whatever I do close to the headlight. At least that's my starting plan. You may hear from me later. Oh wait......where did you access those lights and will they run out of the box with just the standard positive and negative wires? Thanks

Old 07-13-2016, 11:53 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
My 56 has a 53 grille so I have had some very challenging issues with parking light housings. I am making a mold of the area between the headlight bucket in the grille and the valence panel. I intend to keep the 56 parking light lens but will fabricate the housing from scratch. I wish that I were farther along but unfortunately this task is rather far down the list.
That is exactly my problem. I don't think I'm going to go to the trouble that you are and I don't think mine wil look as good as yours will. I'm just trying for now to get a couple of small rectangular signals mounted below the headlights. When you finish you must post and do pics. I may try to piggy back on your ideas later. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:55 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusted56
I've seen some sharp looking headlights with LED's in the top corner or on the outside for exactly that purpose. Don't tell the stockers......

» Turn Signals
I have been thinking about that. When I look at my monkey face grille I'm thinking the park light set up is kinda ugly. If I modify the grille a bit I'll try these. BTW, I started this project as a stocker, and the more time I had to look at it the more I wanted to make it better.....hahaha. I quess I crossed over it's those cookies.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:08 AM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
I always try to get the headlights that park lights can be used behind , then just fit an amber globe in the park light and use it as a turn signal .
That's what I will be doing with my 56 .

Old 07-14-2016, 06:36 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by filthy6
Hey Drew, I always love to see your truck and I like the lights where you designed them. I am going to try to keep whatever I do close to the headlight. At least that's my starting plan. You may hear from me later. Oh wait......where did you access those lights and will they run out of the box with just the standard positive and negative wires? Thanks
I shop my local big truck dealers. They usually have a large truck accessory area and there are all kinds of lights and chrome trinkets that can be used on our projects. My lights have parking and signal both and nothing unusual about the way they wire. You can usually find several different shapes and chrome trim if you desire. Mine are rather plain looking but nobody even notices that they are there until I turn them on.

My tail lights came from the same place. Glass cab clearance lights with stainless trim.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:21 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 557 Likes on 314 Posts
LED lights require very little power and no special wiring

Old 07-16-2016, 03:24 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by filthy6
I have found halogen with LED turn signals and LED with LED turn signals. Both look pretty dang modern for my heap. Not much in the way of instructions either. Wondering if the LED is going to require any additional wiring, resistors, relays or whatever.
Do you remember where you found the LED with LED turn signals? Everything that I have found has halogen main beams. eBay has lots of those:
7" Projector White LED Halo Angel Eye DRL Amber Turn Signal H4 Headlights Pair | eBay

Old 07-16-2016, 05:06 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Originally Posted by petemcl
Do you remember where you found the LED with LED turn signals? Everything that I have found has halogen main beams. eBay has lots of those:
7" Projector White LED Halo Angel Eye DRL Amber Turn Signal H4 Headlights Pair | eBay
Now I can't seem to find them. Found LED but not with turn signals. Sorry if I mislead you.M