National Forest trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
LOL! I drove all the way through Curt Gowdy from the back entrance to the front. Yes, it is a nasty washboard road, especially approaching the back entrance.

There is a dump station at the Southeast Wyoming Welcome Center just south of Cheyenne. Fresh water is also available, but I got that at Curt Gowdy. We stop at the Welcome Center often for a bathroom break if we aren't fueling up around there.
we did dump there, but the Gowdy map showed a dump station that looked like it had been closed for an eternity. We also toured the old prison and the vegetarian restaurant in Laramie was perhaps the best we had ever eaten at and was absolutely packed.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-09-2017, 12:32 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,502 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Salmon NF_Forest road trip from Gibbinsville, Id elevation 4,570' to Big Hole pass elevation 7,360' this portion of the FR079 starts through private land then enters the forest, the road is narrow as you climb and enter the switchbacks the dropoffs are stunning. If your passenger is afraid of heights they might complain some. Close to 25 miles of back road total by the time we got back to camp with great views of elk, deer and of course free range cattle.

At the summit

Next morning moving on to the next spot.
Mics shot of big hole valley rt287s Montana

Old 08-09-2017, 01:12 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,719 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Wow! Those are some narrow roads to be pulling a 5th wheel on. Did you have any problems with height? The place I hunt here in Colorado, I've learned to bring a chainsaw and lopping shears. You just never know what will fall/grow across the road.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:52 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
We'll scout the roads first before entering with 5th wheel. I carry 2 hand saws and 3' pruning shears. If I or the wife have to get on top of 5th to trim a little that's what happens but just enough to eliminate any roof punctures or damaging the solar or AC unit. Any thing sticking into the road area gets trimmed. If you camp off road you have to come to the realization you're going to get pinstripping. Chain saw is on the shopping list and I regret selling both of my Stihl saws when I went fulltiming.
I would also suggest to have eternal bond tape (roof repair kit). You could have a mishap any where even in an rv park. Besides better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Rain coming in through the roof would ruin a camp trip.
The worse part going up the forest roads are the switchbacks. The washboard, potholes and slight washout can be managed with speed and a puckered butt. I've only encountered another oncoming vehicle twice which there happen to be enough room for them to kickout with 6" to spear between us.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:05 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Great pics scraprat, you guys are living the life!

Old 08-09-2017, 05:33 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I sure am enjoying your trip!

Old 08-22-2017, 03:19 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Game plan was to head towards Stanley, Id _ Sawtooth NF for the eclipse but after the Beaverhead NF stop with all the forest fires and smoke around Idaho/ Montana we decided to back track towards Wyoming for the eclipes in the Shoshone NF.
Passing over Teton pass RT22 with a 10% grade the truck handled the climb dropping to 4th gear holding at 45 mph. The descend with engine brake on, tow hual on, 2nd gear locked in there was no touching of the brakes except for the sharpest of switch backs. The 6.7 is a beast! Truck/ trailer 24,720#.
Passed through Jackson, WY (it was a mob scene). With the Tetons off to the west, a quick pic on the move.
Arriving late we find a dispersed spot on nf515 towards Brooks lake so some scouting can be done the next day for a better boondock. View is great but to much traffic going to the lake.
There is a NF campground up there.
After some scouting found a nice boondock about a mile or so off the main hy-way next to the river.

The NF around here had alot forest rangers out and about checking sites and handing out info for the eclipes. They're weren't sure if they would have more campers in the forest or not. This is what they were handing out. Pamphlet explaining the eclipse with some areas that would be good for viewing, 2 stickers and the black cloth. Souvenirs 😁

The eclipse was fantastic no clouds or smoke. This makes my second one to view, next total eclipse for North America will come on April 8, 2024.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:41 PM
Traildust
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've really grown attached to this post and come here at least twice a day to see if there are any new post especially by scraprat. I am really loving your photos very much. Keep it up and I hope you find many more sites you like in the future.
Bill

Old 08-22-2017, 05:03 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Traildust, use your "user CP" or click on subscriptions and either one will let you know when someone has posted in this thread.

I too, am enjoying the trip.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:24 AM
Traildust
Mountain Pass
I subscribed but I come to this site a couple of times a day anyway to tell you the truth.
Bill

Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
325 mile move towards Red Lodge. The usual tasks of moving day, finding a dump station to dump the black/ grey tanks, filling fresh water tank, fill propane if needed, resupply groceries at wally world and top off the the fuel tanks.
Here is a fair representation of the route landscape from Riverton, WY rt20, 120, 308. River bottoms and built up areas do have more vegetation, trees and bushes. Still some great scenery along the route.

Arriving at
Roughly 3.5 - 4 miles up the forest road and found a spot to call home for a short while. No Verizon cell, no internet and no tv stations only great views, sound of the creek, smell of forest and the campfire. Elevation 7,500' with early morning temps as low as 40f warming during the day to upper 70's some low 80's.

This was camp for the Beartooth Scenic Byway, Chief Joseph Scenic Byway and some of northeast Yellowstone road trips.
Having morning coffee looking at this view searching for wildlife.
Evening forest road trip beyond the camp.

Enjoy!

Old 08-29-2017, 10:27 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,719 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Do you use the white truck to scout ahead for a spot? Or do you just drive the trailer and dually until you find something?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:26 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Sorry for the delay I haven't had internet and came to town for some water. Jim it depends. If I have the white truck and I'm not sure if there is a spot then yes. If I don't have the white truck I'll find a place to drop the 5th wheel and look with the dually.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Traildust
Mountain Pass
Do you fish much? Maybe it's been covered and I missed it, me being a resident of the state of Nevada I do fish a lot in California and just the one state non resident license can set you back a bit. This year I only went with the 10 day license for $47 vice $126 for a one year. Seeing all those beautiful streams in your pictures I had to ask.
Bill

Old 09-01-2017, 05:07 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
No I don't fish other than hook, bobber optional worm and a cold drink. I should learn though because I have been in some of the best fly fishing rivers or atleast I've been told.

Quick Reply: National Forest trip