Who's towing and camping 4th July Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
We will be spending the 4th with friends and family here at home....son has a HUGE pool and I hear the crabs will be plentiful !

Hey military guys and gals.... retirement is really the greatest! I retired in 1975 and haven't looked back. Hold on... the fun is coming! Thank you for your service in protecting us here at home!

We are headed back up to NY to attend mama's 60th H.S. Class reunion in July... mine was this month. Left the RV up there so I am cheating MD, DE, NJ and NY out of those high toll road fees!!
Where in NY on originally from Western NY. Small town between Buffalo and Rochester.

Hopefully it's the good crabs lol

Old 06-16-2016, 10:18 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
I had property in Wyoming County, half way between Buffalo and Rochester. Winters can be harsh at times depending on which way the wind blows across the lakes.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by scraprat
I had property in Wyoming County, half way between Buffalo and Rochester. Winters can be harsh at times depending on which way the wind blows across the lakes.
I know the area very well, mine was Albion, NY in Orleans County. Lived there nearly 14 years until I joined the Navy. My mother and dad left sold their house traveled in their RV across country for nearly 8 years until this past year when my mother passed (pancreatic cancer). My wife's family still reside in Lyndonville, NY where her Dad has 75 acres of land and damn near lives off it. Something one day I want to do just not NY I miss it but not the weather. Snow that is

Old 06-16-2016, 10:43 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Sorry don't mean to get off topic on my own thread lol but it's nice to create small talk with you all!

Old 06-17-2016, 05:11 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, Irish, here's wishing you more luck with the selection board.

We wanted to stay at the Sioux Falls KOA over the July 4th weekend, but they were booked, so we'll move out to R and R in Mitchell, SD. Need to figure out a plan after the holidays though.

Being full-timers, I'm finding it tough to get reservations for our summer travels this year.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:28 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
Where in NY on originally from Western NY. Small town between Buffalo and Rochester.

Hopefully it's the good crabs lol
Little village in eastern NY near Bennington, VT - Hoosick Falls. In the news now because of water polluted with PFOA. In crisis at this time.

I was an ADJ in Navy- had so many I did PNA so many times I can't remember! Was the reason I retired with 20 as an E6 and no more. Of course, after the submitted papers, they said "Hey, you're on the list for E7". I had a digit for them! --- Congrats to you!

Old 06-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
You know since I have just shy of 8 years left of course I want to make more rank. Being a E6 now though has been very rewarding but I will say when I was a E5 I had the best times in my Navy. I'm looking forward to a future promotion can't express that enough. Hoping since I'm going to a Destroyer next as the Chief Master At Arms I'll have the potential to put on a star before retirement. Either way I'm fortunate I have my family who supports me and I can still retire now as long as I stay out of trouble . Or in other words don't get caught ha ha

Thanks for all the best wishes on my selection everyone.

I got a question for those full timers do you think more and more people each year are switching over to full timing and selling their houses than before?

Old 06-17-2016, 12:41 PM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a question for those full timers do you think more and more people each year are switching over to full timing and selling their houses than before?
I don't know about selling out and switching to RVs as full-timers, but I think the ones that were going to do it made the jump several years ago, for all the wrong reasons - like foreclosures.

The RV industry has made a BIG recovery since all the manufacturer's bit the dust in 2008. They've had some of the biggest quarters since the mid-90's as far as shipments and sales of RV's just this year. It's getting hard to find a camping spot, especially in national, state and county parks because everybody has a camper and is using them due to the cheap gas prices. I also believe that times are fixing to change again. All these people buy RV's, but space rents are going up with the demand, and they might not be able to afford to use them.

You've also got a lot of big construction projects going on around the country now that things are improving, and the construction guys are finding that an RV is the way to go.

I'm traveling from Virginia to South Dakota. In the past, I would get up in the morning and decide where my next stop was going to be, make a call when I stopped for lunch and arrive about 2:00 pm. Now, I'm finding that if I don't make those calls and get reservations at least a week ahead of time, I'm liable to be sitting in a Walmart parking lot.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:59 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
You know since I have just shy of 8 years left of course I want to make more rank. Being a E6 now though has been very rewarding but I will say when I was a E5 I had the best times in my Navy. I'm looking forward to a future promotion can't express that enough. Hoping since I'm going to a Destroyer next as the Chief Master At Arms I'll have the potential to put on a star before retirement. Either way I'm fortunate I have my family who supports me and I can still retire now as long as I stay out of trouble . Or in other words don't get caught ha ha

Thanks for all the best wishes on my selection everyone.

Congrats on the selection. Now for the real work. Chiefs initiation. Let the fun begin

Old 06-17-2016, 09:12 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
Congrats on the selection. Now for the real work. Chiefs initiation. Let the fun begin
Thanks but I made board not selected yet. Time will tell that is July-Aug timeframe for selection.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:06 AM
ZooDad
Received 591 Likes on 344 Posts
Actually will be working (LEO) on the 4th (by choice) give my guys a break. But will be heading up to the Delta (outside Stockton) the following week with about 60 college kids. Ski-Wake-Surf. 4 boats 60 kids 5 days on the water.

Anyone heading to Sequoia anytime, it's pretty dry. We've lost tons of trees between fires, droubt and bugs. Still beautiful though.

Wife, friends and I just got back from a New England trip. I have not seen so much green in a long time. Its truely amazing.

And to all that are and have served Thank You.

Be safe.

Keith

Old 06-19-2016, 10:13 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Thanks but I made board not selected yet. Time will tell that is July-Aug timeframe for selection.
MA board eligible...you'll get it

Old 06-19-2016, 08:39 PM
defyrftr
Post Fiend
Heading to Anvil Campground in Williamsburg Virginia. Just a touch over 4 hours me.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
MA board eligible...you'll get it
Bigred,

Hope your sitting the boards . Thanks though I hope I get selected as well.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by defyrftr
Heading to Anvil Campground in Williamsburg Virginia. Just a touch over 4 hours me.
Enjoy and be safe out there!

Quick Reply: Who's towing and camping 4th July Weekend