6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Vibration around 50mph???? UPDATED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:30 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
I have a vibration as well a little short of 45 MPH (I have a 4.11 rear and 19.5 rims.)

me thinks the vibration is in the torque converter.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:35 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I have a vibration as well a little short of 45 MPH (I have a 4.11 rear and 19.5 rims.)

me thinks the vibration is in the torque converter.
I will find out tomorrow. Dropping my truck off tonight to have the U joints replaced and transmission fluid changed. As I stated before, I don't notice the vibration when the rear tires are off the ground. I have 3.73 rear and 18" rims.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:15 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Update

So I got 3 new spicer u-joints installed on the main driveshaft. I had the dealer install them. The truck seemed to be better. However when I took off for the weekend with my fifth wheel camper, I could feel a vibration still. More so when under acceleration. I am also not sure if it was just the road, but I swear I could hear a whirling noise. Like a womp, womp, womp noise (hard to explain). I am going to pay more attention on the trip home Monday.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_08
So I got 3 new spicer u-joints installed on the main driveshaft. I had the dealer install them. The truck seemed to be better. However when I took off for the weekend with my fifth wheel camper, I could feel a vibration still. More so when under acceleration. I am also not sure if it was just the road, but I swear I could hear a whirling noise. Like a womp, womp, womp noise (hard to explain). I am going to pay more attention on the trip home Monday.
sounds like a torque converter to me.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
torque converter????? hmmmmmn crud
no I am wondering if mine is the issue. I have a vibration on takeoff that worsens when loaded or trailering- I thought it was the center support (carrier bearing) of the 2 piece driveshaft........

Old 07-22-2016, 10:29 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
sounds like a torque converter to me.
Sorry I haven't responded yet. My dad passed away on July 10th, and I really haven't had time to play with my truck. Except for changing the transmission fluid and filter. I am still not sure if I got the fluid level correct yet. When the tranny is cold, the fluid is clearly visible on the dipstick. But when it's hot and at operating temperature, it is hard to tell where the fluid is on the dipstick. I drained 9 quarts from the transmission and added the same back.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:44 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Subscribing. Got the same thing going on. I've already replaced all of the u-joints in the shaft and added traction bars in hopes that it was wheel hop causing the vibration. Those helped some but the issue is still there. I'm considering a new driveshaft. I'm curious as to what you find.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:38 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by DieselVol
Subscribing. Got the same thing going on. I've already replaced all of the u-joints in the shaft and added traction bars in hopes that it was wheel hop causing the vibration. Those helped some but the issue is still there. I'm considering a new driveshaft. I'm curious as to what you find.
I am taking a trip tomorrow with my camper 2.5 hours away (145 miles). Mostly all highway. I am praying there is no trouble on the way up and back. I drove the truck today and added 1/2 quart of transmission fluid. I can now see the fluid on the dipstick. It's halfway on the hot mark. When I come back from my trip I am draining the tranny fluid and refilling. That should replace most of the old fluid.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:09 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_08
I am taking a trip tomorrow with my camper 2.5 hours away (145 miles). Mostly all highway. I am praying there is no trouble on the way up and back. I drove the truck today and added 1/2 quarter of transmission fluid. I can now see the fluid on the dipstick. It's halfway on the hot mark. When I come back from my trip I am draining the tranny fluid and refilling. That should replace most of the old fluid.
My problem is different, I think. I also had the shudder at 45 mph or so on the way up and on the way back down from highway speeds. While the traction bars have not helped the shudder from a standing start, they have completely eliminated the shudder you're describing. That may or may not work for you too.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:07 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
man, sorry about your father

so i ireplaced all u joints and the center carrier bearing.
shudder is there on take off and worse under load......
now researching the TQ as I believe he is correct in his assessment of torque converter issue......

Old 07-27-2016, 11:21 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gwilkrrs
man, sorry about your father

so i ireplaced all u joints and the center carrier bearing.
shudder is there on take off and worse under load......
now researching the TQ as I believe he is correct in his assessment of torque converter issue......
Thanks. I am starting to think torque converter as well. If there was only an easy way to confirm.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:25 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
new suspect on mine is the flex plate. I started a thread in the tranny section that has a video on what thats all about. the flex plate develops a circular crack around all the mounting bolts to the engine crank. what happens in the early stages the crack is less than a "C" shape which puts some of the flex plate secured to the crank and some of the flex plate not secured....so under load...the flex plate will vibrate due to the crack. for the trucks that have this...eventually the crack will encircle all the mounting bolts and the outer flex plate will spin independently on the inner flex plate. there are usally broken tranny mounting dowels involved as well as broken , loose or missing hardware on the flex plate or tranny mounting areas.

in the extreme cases the damage caused by a complete flex plate faliure can include damage to the rear engine seals.

so I think my problem falls into this issue based on that the vireation only occurs under cetain conditions and under certin conditions I can hear a ringing of a plate which is probally being cased by a no load or coast oscillation of the inner and outer areas of the plate on both sides of the crack.

so to check this...tranny needs to come out.

Im doing a partial cab lift to replace rocker arms so when that happens I will drop the tranny since it will be easier to get to the upper tranny bolts with the cab partially lifted.

not saying this is your problem....but goes to show the range of possibles and probables that can exist in these types of issues. check out the video I listed in the thread I have in the tranny section for more info.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:06 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
So I'm still working on finding and fixing this vibration issue. What I have noticed now though is the vibration is more constant even if the transmission is in neutral while driving on the highway. I had checked to make sure the Hubs were in the auto position but I never checked to see if if it's possible one of the hub's was engage. So that is going to be one of my next things to look at. I will jack up the front of the truck and spin the tires and see if there's any resistance leaning towards a hub issue.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:45 AM
ssharber
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mentioned that one of your wheels wobbled when you jacked up the truck and put her in gear. Ive had an issue and have been unable to get anyone to fix the problem also. They said at first that my rim was not true but I had them put a new wheel on it and it still wobbles. Still working with them after a hub replacement that they said was bent but still wobbles. Wish you luck. Its aggravating as h#*^ isn't it?

Old 09-26-2016, 07:39 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Well I jacked up the front tires, no problems found there. The vibration has now become noticeable at lower speeds. Yesterday, I jacked up the rear axle and got the tires spinning starting out slowly and progressing up to 65mph. The vibration was immediately present at around15mph all the way up. So that definitely rules out front end. I had someone check under the truck while the tires were spinning. And it seemed like the issue was coming from either the transfer case or the transmission. So I guess I bring it back to some repair shop to diagnose the issue. Question is, do I bring it to the dealer service dept or a local transmission shop?

Quick Reply: Vibration around 50mph???? UPDATED!