2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Moonroof Delete Option

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:21 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never had any issues with a moon roof leaking or motor breaking on my 2005 F150. But I rarely ever open it. Up in Alaska I thought it would be an issue with snow and ice, but it simply isn't. I don't care to have twin panel moon roof on my new 2017 Super Duty, but it doesn't bother me. The fact that we can't get a platinum or king ranch without the heinous flow through console is absurd though. I just don't get it. I will have to somehow survive with my lariat.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:10 PM
donnoman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Ford: listen to your customers.

This is how I ended up resolving the moonroof issue and center console issue.

This isn't bait, I'm not trying to start a Ford vs Dodge war. Just closing the loop.

I ordered at the end of July 2016 and it was delivered beginning of October 2016.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7 Aisen Transmission all options except the single CD player, and Moonroof. Even includes the Auto Level Air Suspension. Includes bench seat, no center console. I'm loving the truck.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:23 PM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HoustonianDale
Ford is really out of touch with their customers regarding the lack of console options and sunroof in the upper trims. Here in Texas, some who actually need a 3/4 ton think a moon roof is in the same category as capri pants on men. I don't really care either way. It is not worth much more money to me though.
Capri pants on a boy is weird any way you slice it. I don't mind having a sunroof. Sometimes they are nice to open up....maybe like 3-4 days a year here

Brett

Old 11-27-2016, 12:29 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Originally Posted by donnoman

This isn't bait, I'm not trying to start a Ford vs Dodge war. Just closing the loop.

I ordered at the end of July 2016 and it was delivered beginning of October 2016.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7 Aisen Transmission all options except the single CD player, and Moonroof. Even includes the Auto Level Air Suspension. Includes bench seat, no center console. I'm loving the truck.
So the Ram trucks suffer the same fate. Compare equal trim levels of the trucks (Laramie vs Lariat, Laramie Longhorn vs King Ranch, and Limited vs Platinum) and you'll find you CAN NOT get the front bench seat with anything above laramie trim, the same as with Ford (can't get bench seat above lariat trim). And the mega cab not being available with the long bed is one of the worst non-options I've seen in a work truck. And the fact that every diesel from Ram doesn't come with their top transmission is perplexing. Just sayin.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:36 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Nice looking RAM. I doubt Ford is shaking in their boots you bought it though. Market research shows the big majority wants the moonroof on the high trims and the full console.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:46 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Originally Posted by troverman
Nice looking RAM. I doubt Ford is shaking in their boots you bought it though. Market research shows the big majority wants the moonroof on the high trims and the full console.
The top trim RAM trucks require the crappy console too Troverman.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:50 PM
donnoman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice looking RAM. I doubt Ford is shaking in their boots you bought it though.
True nuff. They will neither see this message, nor care if they did. For Rams part, they don't care either. A single person making an election isn't an "event" in either camp.

I should have been able to purchase a Lariat with the options I wanted as I did with Dodge. I agonized with the differences between the two trucks, and just decided dealing with Ford wasn't worth it. So I voted with my money. Ford can market research THAT.

Also I love that Ford sent me a message inviting me to send any ideas for inventions they could add to their trucks. I sent back a message "Let us order it the way we want it with the existing options" and got back a form letter that thanked me for my suggestion but that it wasn't an "invention" so the idea couldn't be considered.

Done with Ford.. good luck folks.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
ALL car companies do it. Their motivation is to dangle 1-3 features that you "can't live without" in front of you, and by the time you've signed the forms and drive off the lot, you've got a dozen extra features and are paying an extra $10k+ beyond what you thought you were going to pay going in.

I recall reading some years ago that Pam Anderson wanted to buy a Mercedes C43 AMG as a paparazzi escape vehicle, but the top-spec C-class only came standard leather.

She wrote letters to the president/CEO of MB-USA and MB in Stuttgart saying that as a vegan, world-famous celebrity and spokesperson for PETA, she was ethically-opposed to using anything made out of an animal, including a car with leather seats. So pretty-please with sugar on the top, could MB make just one special exception and put vinyl seats and a high-output V8 together?

MB told her to go pound sand.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:22 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
The top trim RAM trucks require the crappy console too Troverman.
Can you not buy a 6-speed manual Limited?

Old 11-27-2016, 01:32 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
I just went back and looked at the build website. You can't get a manual in any trim level above laramie.

I went and test drove a couple Rams when my 2017 F350 order had been in 4 months and still wasn't scheduled. I was considering cancelling and going with Ram. After driving them and driving a 2016 Lariat Diesel, I didn't consider the Ram an option anymore. It had a nicer interior vs the 2016 F350, but the Ram's felt sluggish and rough riding. With the new interior and tech on the Ford, there is simply NO comparison. If you want to compromise, buy a Ram.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:56 PM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
If you really want to cut its nuts get a manual. I don't think they feel comfortable putting all that power out through the g56 and stock clutch. Don't know if it's cause they can't control the torque management enough to consider it safe and won't destroy itself or what? Tune it and it'll run real nice but you just cut your warranty short. After having several manuals, I'm pretty happy with the autos were getting now. That Aisin isn't bad at all

Brett

Old 11-27-2016, 04:21 PM
troverman
Hotshot
I'm well aware of the de-rated Cummins with the G56...I was just thinking it was a way to get a high trim level with a bench seat.

I do appreciate RAM still offers a manual. The autos are fine, but I like to shift.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:13 PM
DingusKhan
Senior User

Picture Deleted

So did it come with LED Headlights and Adaptive Cruise control?

Old 11-27-2016, 11:52 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
I love all the tech in the new 2017 Superduty. But my dealer has been unable produce a quote for a truck that includes the new Quadbeam Headlights, and the adaptive cruise control WITHOUT a moonroof.

I currently have the truck configured with the 96L then paying for all of the other options like BLIS.

But there are two options that require the Lariat Ultimate Package 96U:

527 adaptive cruise control
59Q quad beam LED headlamps

And 96U on the Crew Cab comes with you guessed it:

Moonroof, Power (Twin Panel on Crew Cab;
optional availability on XLT req. 17P XLT
Premium Pkg.; included in 96U Lariat Ultimate
Package; includes map lights and Moonroof
switches)

I do not want a moonroof. My daily driver already has T-tops that I have to keep covered up. I don't want a leaky hole in the roof of my new truck.

Has anybody been successful getting the Adaptive Cruise Control and Quad Beam headlamps without a Moonroof?

Any suggestions on how to try to get it done?

I'm confused here. In this post, the moon roof was the issue. I'm not a fan them either as I don't use them and I like extra headroom. When I built a KR on Ford's site, I was able to configure it without a moon roof. The console is standard, but as far as I can tell, you can configure a KR without the overhead glass. Just skip the Ultimate package and add in the options you do want.

Adam

Old 11-28-2016, 12:19 AM
Robmiezer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True nuff. They will neither see this message, nor care if they did. For Rams part, they don't care either. A single person making an election isn't an "event" in either camp.

I should have been able to purchase a Lariat with the options I wanted as I did with Dodge. I agonized with the differences between the two trucks, and just decided dealing with Ford wasn't worth it. So I voted with my money. Ford can market research THAT.

Also I love that Ford sent me a message inviting me to send any ideas for inventions they could add to their trucks. I sent back a message "Let us order it the way we want it with the existing options" and got back a form letter that thanked me for my suggestion but that it wasn't an "invention" so the idea couldn't be considered.

Done with Ford.. good luck folks.
Wait, then how do I have a Lariat F350 4×4 with a leather bench and no moonroof? The only option I am missing is the LED lights, which I will fix in a few months when I buy them and the extra chrome that I did not want.

Quick Reply: Moonroof Delete Option