Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Scratch built bed.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:22 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Senior User
Oldcrowbarber has a good reputation on FTE.Oldcrowbarber has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
I got to thinking about another tip on your custom bed...I used a length of 2x4x0.120 wall rectangular tubing instead of that flimsy sheetmetal sill. This really stiffens up the bed. I rounded the lower corners of the stake pockets and used a modified Pros Pick hiding hinge setup. Here is a pic of the work in progress, the pic in my previous post shows it ready for paint.
That's a good idea. I really like the way the rounded corners loom.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:32 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Senior User
Oldcrowbarber has a good reputation on FTE.Oldcrowbarber has a good reputation on FTE.
I got started on the bed tonight. I only got a few hours of work in but I made good progress. I started off by making the front frame work. I cut 3 pieces of 1x1 49" long. And 2 pieces 15 1/2 inches long. Then I squared everything up and welded the front frame together.
Then I clamped the frame to my sides and used the 3rd 49" piece of 1x1 to go across the rear of the bed. Next was cutting 2 pieces of 1x1 77" long to run down the middle of the frame work. I also cut some 1x2 and angel cut the ends to go on top of my header panel. Next was to cut some cross braces and side braces. Before I finish up the bottom frame work I need to mount my rear tires and see if I need to tub the bed or see if I can leave the bed sides smooth.

Attached Images           
Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 PM
pholmes350
Senior User
pholmes350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Coming along nicely! Be sure to post pics when you do the bedside rolls. Mine will probably get replaced and I need to see how a pro does it.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Senior User
Originally Posted by pholmes350 View Post
Coming along nicely! Be sure to post pics when you do the bedside rolls. Mine will probably get replaced and I need to see how a pro does it.
I will definitely take plenty of pics....but I'm far from a pro but thanks for the kind words.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:09 PM
stubbfarmer
Senior User
stubbfarmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here are a couple of pictures of my scratch built box.

Name:  IMG_1119.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1116.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  104.3 KB

Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Senior User
Originally Posted by stubbfarmer View Post
Here are a couple of pictures of my scratch built box.

Looks good

Old 06-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Senior User
Picked up some more steel for the bed today. Hopefully I'll make some more progress soon

Old 06-06-2016, 09:37 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
thepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Oldcrowbarber View Post
Picked up some more steel for the bed today. Hopefully I'll make some more progress soon
Looks really good! Keep up the good work!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.

Pretty easy for the bed roll. On my 9' box I stitch welded the pipe on the bent up sides. Grind the welds smooth, body caulk in the seams, skim coat & paint.

Regards, Mark.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:46 AM
chad77
Elder User
chad77 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.chad77 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen View Post

Pretty easy for the bed roll. On my 9' box I stitch welded the pipe on the bent up sides. Grind the welds smooth, body caulk in the seams, skim coat & paint.

Regards, Mark.
So no need to cut the tube to butt joint it to the bed side? I was going to but if I don't have to would save a ton of work.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:29 AM
stubbfarmer
Senior User
stubbfarmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did mine the same way Badmoonreizn did. I did weld mine solid all the way along the seam. You position the tube so the curve is at the top of the bed side and the edge of the sheet metal side is down the curve slightly. The easiest way to get it right is to use a straight edge on the top of the lip on the sheet metal and top of tube. After I dressed the weld down I didnít need any filler just primmer sand and paint. I also built my tailgate, latches and hinges.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:22 AM
chad77
Elder User
chad77 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.chad77 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by stubbfarmer View Post
I did mine the same way Badmoonreizn did. I did weld mine solid all the way along the seam. You position the tube so the curve is at the top of the bed side and the edge of the sheet metal side is down the curve slightly. The easiest way to get it right is to use a straight edge on the top of the lip on the sheet metal and top of tube. After I dressed the weld down I didnít need any filler just primmer sand and paint. I also built my tailgate, latches and hinges.
How long is the bend portion at top? 4-5"?

Old 06-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.
On my 9' bed, the sides are 19 1/2" high, and then a 45 degree bend. the bend is 2 3/4". Got my measurements from Pros Pick.

No butt joint necessary. Stitch welding prevents warping.

Mark.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:35 AM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
nice fab work OCB... we don't see near enough threads like this anymore... and certainly not in the magazines... following with much interest.

john

Old 06-08-2016, 10:12 AM
chad77
Elder User
Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen View Post

Regards, Mark.
What diameter pipe did you end up using?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scratch built bed.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.