1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 Stroker Rear Ended in Berkeley

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:00 PM
Collision
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by powrstrkr
Body shop got it on the frame machine. They say it's OK. The left rear of the bed is really twisted though. Looking side to side under the bed where it bolts to the frame, it seems straight except in the rear. Question is whether or not the whole bed needs replaced or just the left skin panel. The Iron Cross bumper I ordered came in today. It looks great and I can't complain about the $775 price tag. I'll install it when the truck comes home from the body shop.
At least its not totalled... a new bed isnt a bad thing

Old 06-08-2016, 08:07 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was releived to hear that. Wish I'd gotten a pic of it on the frame machine. They aren't sure where to find a bed yet - or the left panel. Short bed with dual tanks.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Collision
Senior User
Yeah, I was going to do a stock bed (mine rusted out) so I am going to do a flatbed/stakebody. I know you have a cap, so that wouldnt work for you. Good luck finding a nice condition bed, up here all the fords rusted out.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:54 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
there was a brick nose bed on craigslist, F150 short bed.
the fuel doors can be grafted into it.
im 40 minutes east of ya, ill ask around.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:45 AM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by IDIoit
there was a brick nose bed on craigslist, F150 short bed.
the fuel doors can be grafted into it.
im 40 minutes east of ya, ill ask around.
That would be great! Thanks!!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:23 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
ill let you know.
if you find one, and need some custom touches to it, im pretty handy with custom metal work

Old 06-14-2016, 06:47 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
I found a rustfree bedside and tailgate (with the wide aluminum trim panel) at one of the recyclers on Broadway in Abq. $450 for both delivered to the body shop. Both pieces need very minor body work. LMC truck is the only place we found a new tailgate but it's the concave look, not flat with the al panel, which I really like. The bedside is 5 weeks backorder at least. That's too long to wait if I don't have to. Body shop had to do a supplemental estimate because ins estimate didn't reflect reality. They say they'll cover it but it's still being processed.

Question for you on custom work, IDIoit - the aluminum panel on the used tailgate has a small dent and hole in the upper right corner. How can that be fixed? Other than that, the tailgate is dirty but no rust. Body shop has to take it apart before figuring out how to fix it if they can.

I put a little dent in the bottom of the panel on the wrecked tailgate a couple years ago. I opened it after leaving a socket on the bumper. DAMN!!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Collision
Senior User
Have you tried rock auto?

Old 06-14-2016, 09:11 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
The pull a part in Abq. had a lot of goodies when I used to drive up there I don't know about now thou.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:54 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Rock Auto doesn't have anything I need. Body shop says the tailgate at the scrap yard is too rough so we bought one from LMC. Found some aluminum trim panels online but need to call the sellers. The left bedside was delivered to the body shop yesterday. Turns out the frame was tweaked up about a half inch behind the rear axle - measured at the bumper. They're gonna pull it back down after they get the bed off. The bed floor was twisted down a bit near the left rear mounting bolt as the car went underneath and pushed the bedside up. Nothing serious there though. Maybe I'll get it back around the 4th of July. Then I'll install the Iron Cross bumper myself.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:36 PM
Collision
Senior User
Sorry to hear your truck has been laid up for so long. Glad to hear the repair shop seems to know what they are doing.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:57 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Work is finally coming along. They had to wait till last week to start due to ins dragging their butt. Damage is now $7700, less the bumper which I already bought myself and will install once it's home. It also includes some other minor paint fix up which was not caused by the wreck. Paint is chipped along the roof above the windshield. I think they are hiway rock chips. Frame only had to be pulled down about a half in at the rear. No diamond in the frame at all. I'm hoping to get it back late next week. Was hoping this week to have it on the 4th.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:22 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
It's almost for sure I'll get it back next week. They got the left rear cab corner fixed and ready for paint yesterday. It was supposed to be painted today. The "new" (salvage) left bedside is welded on and will be ready for paint Mon or Tue. Then install the bed and hitch. The stripe man will need half a day once they get it back together then it's done. I'll install the bumper when I get it home. Gotta wait about a week before I can put the camper shell back on. I sure do miss my girl!!

Old 07-09-2016, 07:17 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Glad to hear its almost done!

Old 07-10-2016, 04:14 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good deal. Just make sure you really inspect it before you pay the bill and take the truck home. Make fix anything that isnt right.

Quick Reply: 96 Stroker Rear Ended in Berkeley