Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

How to reach oil sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 PM
LordKamakazi
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to reach oil sending unit?

Trying to install an oil pressure gauge for my dash. I got the Tee fitting and everything. I read on here where people say its like a ~4 minute job so i must be slow or something

I can't even reach the oil sending unit! I have that big airbox Banks turbo on the top of my motor and the the actual turbo behind it right above where I assume the sending unit is. Do I have to pull ht e whole turbo to get to it? Cause I don't want to do that for most likely I'll just break things trying to get it apart.

I found the other oil port on the bottom next to the oil cooler but my turbo has an oil line connected there via 90 degree. If I tee that off instead, will I still get accurate oil pressure readings with the turbo pulling oil from there? Thanks for any replies.
Chris

Old 05-03-2016, 05:30 PM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
turbo affecting oil pressure

Originally Posted by LordKamakazi
Trying to install an oil pressure gauge for my dash. I got the Tee fitting and everything. I read on here where people say its like a ~4 minute job so i must be slow or something

I can't even reach the oil sending unit! I have that big airbox Banks turbo on the top of my motor and the the actual turbo behind it right above where I assume the sending unit is. Do I have to pull ht e whole turbo to get to it? Cause I don't want to do that for most likely I'll just break things trying to get it apart.

I found the other oil port on the bottom next to the oil cooler but my turbo has an oil line connected there via 90 degree. If I tee that off instead, will I still get accurate oil pressure readings with the turbo pulling oil from there? Thanks for any replies.
Chris
Don't worry about how long the job takes, you're doing it for yourself.

I would be very surprised if supplying you turbo drops oil pressure more than about 1psi total. Your tee should be good there

Old 05-03-2016, 08:23 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
The factory turbo for these trucks teed the pressure sender off the turbo oil feed, so you shouldn't have any problem doing the same. You might need a different sized T from the one at the top back of the engine, but just use what fits.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:43 PM
LordKamakazi
Freshman User
Ok so I borrowed and edited this picture from Dieselcrawler over at oilburners.net. So my turbo is supplied at the #1 oil port as stated above. But they put it on a damned 90 degree thats soo long I cant unscrew it because it hits my exhaust.

I still have access to the one I labeled #2. Would this still send my gauge accurate pressure? Thanks again.
Chris

Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Yup. There may be some differences in pressure depending where you put the gauge. The further from the oil pump, the lower the pressure will end up being, thats just how physics works. However, these will be small differences, so not a big deal at all.

Our IDI's work on oil volume, more than pressure. I don't recall the specs off the top of my head, but they require far less than most people think. Something like 10psi (again I don't remember the exact number) at idle is sufficient due to the amount of oil being pushed through the engine. Thats partly why Ford changed over to the idiot light type sender and faked out the gauge to show mid range all the time. There were a lot of people going to the dealers and complaining about the gauges showing low oil pressure, when it was actually in spec, just on the low end of the gauge when at idle.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:40 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmmm, I'd be inclined to go with the turbo feed. That way, if there's ever a problem with that feed, even if the oil pump is still lubricating the engine itself sufficiently, you'd know it before smoking the turbo.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:30 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by madpogue
Hmmm, I'd be inclined to go with the turbo feed. That way, if there's ever a problem with that feed, even if the oil pump is still lubricating the engine itself sufficiently, you'd know it before smoking the turbo.
Thats only useful if it is teed in right at the turbo itself. Otherwise the line to the turbo could blow, and the gauge will still show some pressure even though the turbo won't be getting it.