6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:28 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 908 Likes on 328 Posts
Ok, so sales guy called me back. Based on questionaire/photos of my potential trade, they are saying 6-7K for that. For now, they are holding fast on the $79,990. I told him that was more than I was willing to pay, and that I found several online for much better deal. He is going to email me, what he just called me about, and I told him I'd make a counter offer, and depending on their response, we will decide if we will be making the trip down to take another look. So the waiting game begins.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:23 PM
2015F350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
Ok, so sales guy called me back. Based on questionaire/photos of my potential trade, they are saying 6-7K for that. For now, they are holding fast on the $79,990. I told him that was more than I was willing to pay, and that I found several online for much better deal. He is going to email me, what he just called me about, and I told him I'd make a counter offer, and depending on their response, we will decide if we will be making the trip down to take another look. So the waiting game begins.
Although my 5th wheel is not a Cardinal, it is a Heartland Landmark Key Largo. I bought it New in 2012 it's a 2013 model. It is loaded from the factory, The MSRP was $108,000.00. I called the dealer before making the 3 hour drive to even look at it. Like some have said, they have room to move off the price. I waited them out and heard their sob story about how they can't sell it for my price. I ended up paying $40,000.00 less than the MSRP. Stick to your price. If they want to move the rig they will deal. The only problem I see is it is summer an typically that is when they sell the most RV's. They maybe waiting for another customer, hoping to get their price. Good luck to you. Very nice rig, if you get it.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:09 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Thanks Robert!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:10 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Well, its been 3 days since I made my counter-offer. Not a single word from the dealer. I guess they dont want to do business very badly. Not even a counter, to my counter, or even an acknowlegement they received it and to go pound sand...lol. I am talking with another dealer now, that is actually closer to home, and much more responsive/communicative. So its probably all for the best anyway. They just dont have what I want on the lot. Dealing with the owner directly, and he is calling the factory to see what they have coming off the line, otherwise we will start the process of ordering one. 6-8 weeks he tells me. Now, I will spec out what we want. Probably will spec it out with stackable washer/dryer, upgraded G-rated tires while at it. He told me they used to carry Cardinal years ago, but just re-aquired the line in the last 2 years and are wanting to establish a presence with this brand in the area. Sounds like he is willing to negotiate, his current 2016 units he's advertising at 30% off MSRP and thats without trying. I'd like the bottomline price, but in the end, as long as I feel like I'm getting a good deal, and value,support for my purchase a few extra $$$ isnt going to keep me awake at night.

The sad part of this for the original dealer, is that they probably would have gotten more out of me in a give/take conversation to make the sale, or upsold me on other stuff. I have not decided how I will react if they still call me back. I'm leaning towards bagging the entire relationship with them based on lack of communication as a red flag for future issues.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:18 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Dave, I find this happens all the time. The funny thing is about half the time, they did me a favor as I went a different route or benefited from a factory order. That said, order your rig and get it exactly the way you want. The 6-8 weeks is nothing compared to the time you will own it.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:36 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Very True, Rodney! they probably get activity stats on their webpage traffic too. Since I posted the link to it here, you guys have gone to look at it. they probably think there is a lot of buyer interest on that particular unit....

I'll report back as the saga continues. I'm not a very patient man, once I've made up my mind on something....hahaha

Old 05-08-2016, 11:37 AM
System
Prolocutor
I'm not a very patient man, once I've made up my mind on something....hahaha

I hear you. I only think about ordering my 2017 truck about 537 times a day...

Old 05-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,998 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Dave, I find this happens all the time. The funny thing is about half the time, they did me a favor as I went a different route or benefited from a factory order. That said, order your rig and get it exactly the way you want. The 6-8 weeks is nothing compared to the time you will own it.
Agree.......

Very True, Rodney! they probably get activity stats on their webpage traffic too. Since I posted the link to it here, you guys have gone to look at it. they probably think there is a lot of buyer interest on that particular unit....

I'll report back as the saga continues. I'm not a very patient man, once I've made up my mind on something....hahaha
Now is the time to chat with the new dealer and dream of the future.....

Old 05-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,998 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I hear you. I only think about ordering my 2017 truck about 537 times a day...

Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
Dave...I agree on all counts. I'd run from that original dealer. Rodney also stated perfectly that 6-8 week wait is nothing compared to the length of ownership. It also pays to look at the larger dealers that might be a bit of a drive. They are often larger for a reason...

Old 05-09-2016, 12:29 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
OK, just got a call from the new dealer. He called the factory, Cardinal has "the" unit rolling off the line at the end of this month that now has our name on it. Just gotta drop off a check for a deposit. We are at about 33% off MSRP which I am ok with. Based on the original unit I provided the link for at the other dealer, we are adding the stackable washer/dryer, G-rated tire upgrade, and it has the 3rd A/C which we really don't need up here in Michigan, but its already on the unit. Too late to add the awning covers I am told, but we can add that later if we decide to. All of that added, and still at a selling price less than the original dealer wouldn't budge on.

Woohoo!

Old 05-09-2016, 12:30 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
Congrats Dave!

Old 05-09-2016, 12:36 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
OK, just got a call from the new dealer. He called the factory, Cardinal has "the" unit rolling off the line at the end of this month that now has our name on it. Just gotta drop off a check for a deposit. We are at about 33% off MSRP which I am ok with. Based on the original unit I provided the link for at the other dealer, we are adding the stackable washer/dryer, G-rated tire upgrade, and it has the 3rd A/C which we really don't need up here in Michigan, but its already on the unit. Too late to add the awning covers I am told, but we can add that later if we decide to. All of that added, and still at a selling price less than the original dealer wouldn't budge on.

Woohoo!
Nice and congratulations!!!

Three air conditioners, sweet... It's one of the first things I notice when I look at another unit in a campground or RV show. Two is good, three has got to be better.

bruce...

Old 05-09-2016, 12:51 PM
System
Prolocutor

Woohoo!
That's great news Dave! 33% is fair too for a non wholesale type dealer and you don't have to travel for it or fight for warranty service. You will use the third AC from time to time and that also means you will have a load management system which is very cool. I don't see a downside there. Your dealer can install slide toppers and to be honest, you can get better ones than the factory would have installed anyway. I have the Dometic Full Cover ones that are nicer that what XLR would have put on if I had ordered them from the get go. It will cost a bit more but you will get a better product. Anyways, very much looking forward to some pictures!

Old 05-09-2016, 12:55 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Thanks All! Best part is I get it by end of this month! Not beginning of July.

Quick Reply: Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel