2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New TorqShift-G and Gear Ratios for the 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:41 AM
PFG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New TorqShift-G and Gear Ratios for the 6.2

No new information about the new TorqShift-G, except for a few words from Ford reps saying it "fits the 6.2 gas engine" better than the previous generation transmission.

With no changes in the gear ratios offered - 3.73 and 4.3 - can those of us making an early order assume that both gears will see increased TQ/HP numbers, with the 3.73 getting a nice little MPG bump?

Any guesses or predictions on what we will see this summer?

Old 04-29-2016, 04:29 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by PFG
No new information about the new TorqShift-G, except for a few words from Ford reps saying it "fits the 6.2 gas engine" better than the previous generation transmission.

With no changes in the gear ratios offered - 3.73 and 4.3 - can those of us making an early order assume that both gears will see increased TQ/HP numbers, with the 3.73 getting a nice little MPG bump?

Any guesses or predictions on what we will see this summer?
I have often wondered about the gearing too. I have looked at the 6r80 vs 6r140 gearing, they are nearly the same so I expect the new tranny to be right in there too. I believe the tranny alone will account for the majority of any mpg gains in the F250. The gearing vs mpg's will just depend on one's type of driving.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is the 6.2 going to get a nice bump in HP/TQ?

I'm going to be shopping a Titan Cummins vs a F-250 6.2/6.7 and see which one offers the best value. Really would like a turbo diesel with pulling a 8k in the mountains.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:52 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Nevermind... I see no one knows yet, another month wait!

Old 05-03-2016, 11:29 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm sticking to the 6.2 but I will def. go with 4.30 gears this time, and by looking at your truck and towing needs they would benefit you too.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:28 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
I've been seeing some Ram Tradesman Quad 4wd Cummins being advertised for $41K ($52K MSRP). Has the basics that I want: Power windows, Bluetooth, front cloth bench, backup sensors/cam.

I'm at the point where I want a low $40's Diesel Quad 4wd truck. Hopefully a '17 F-250 XLT can be had for this in another year.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:33 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
I've been seeing some Ram Tradesman Quad 4wd Cummins being advertised for $41K ($52K MSRP). Has the basics that I want: Power windows, Bluetooth, front cloth bench, backup sensors/cam.

I'm at the point where I want a low $40's Diesel Quad 4wd truck. Hopefully a '17 F-250 XLT can be had for this in another year.
i was really close to going to look at a used ram with a cummins and manual trans with 10K on the odo for $34K. But, i'm cheap and I wussed out. I really don't need a diesel, but the manual trans almost pulled me in.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:07 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Old 05-06-2016, 09:09 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a really good deal. if i could find one like that with an 8ft bed locally for that price, I'd be real tempted.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:45 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 540 Likes on 264 Posts
The 6.2L is definitely getting some kind of a bump - could be just torque, could be just horsepower, but it will be something. I doubt it will be huge, but really, Ford basically doesn't need to do any further development - the 2014 F-150 had this engine with 411 / 434. That would definitely be a "nice" bump, but I'd fall out of my chair if it were more than that.

I'm guessing 400bhp and 420lb-ft will be the numbers.

F-350's will get nothing other than that bump. F-250's will get the "G" transmission, which is essentially a beefed up 6R80E from the F-150, in line with what GM and RAM do with their gas HD models.

The "G" trans will undoubtedly be lighter weight, and probably requires less engine horsepower to run the pump - everything inside is a little smaller and lighter. That will make the 250's probably even quicker than ever for the gas trucks, anyway.

I placed an order about 3 weeks ago for a gas 2017 F-350. This last week I've been fighting with the notion of calling the dealer and asking for them to switch it to a diesel.

Yesterday, on my landscaping route, my 6.7L regenerated three times because the trips were not long enough to finish. That irritated me - not everyone is on the highway all the time. Then last night I did take it for an Interstate run to try to clear out the regen - and of course, it never did regen, which means it probably cleaned the DPF just enough to not trip it...until some other inopportune time.

So for now, I'm staying gas. There is no doubt that it is a solid engine with no worries at all. The 48.5 gallon tank and the dual batteries I ordered make this a fairly attractive truck - but I'll miss the diesel sound and pull.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 451 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I placed an order about 3 weeks ago for a gas 2017 F-350. This last week I've been fighting with the notion of calling the dealer and asking for them to switch it to a diesel.

Yesterday, on my landscaping route, my 6.7L regenerated three times because the trips were not long enough to finish. That irritated me - not everyone is on the highway all the time. Then last night I did take it for an Interstate run to try to clear out the regen - and of course, it never did regen, which means it probably cleaned the DPF just enough to not trip it...until some other inopportune time.

So for now, I'm staying gas. There is no doubt that it is a solid engine with no worries at all. The 48.5 gallon tank and the dual batteries I ordered make this a fairly attractive truck - but I'll miss the diesel sound and pull.
We must be one-in-the-same on gas vs. diesel thought processes. Last week, my truck regenned on the way home from picking up the kids (I work from home, and most of my driving is the 5 mile round trip to go get my kids). It didn't finish the regen, so the next day, it started again, and I drove it an extra 20 minutes on the highway to let it clean the exhaust. Man, I can't wait to get a gas truck!

Then, this weekend, we took the fifth wheel out for the first trip of the year. Set the cruise on 65 and just sit back and enjoy the ride. No drama, just the diesel pulling like it always does. Man, I'm getting a diesel next!

So, for the return trip, I fueled up just before heading home. Pull in the driveway, and the gauge read 9.5 MPG (and it usually reads .5-1 MPG higher than actual) and I thought...why do I pay so much money for a diesel, put in more expensive fuel, pay more for maintenance, only to get *****ty fuel economy on top of it all. Then, I remembered passing the slowpoke on the highway, going up a fairly steep hill, with 9500 lbs in tow, and STILL gaining speed with plenty of go-pedal left (no, this isn't the reason for the bad MPG, it's normal for this 6.4L beast).

This decision will chew on me for the next two years. But hey, at least I get to wait and see what gasser is next, and if they slap a couple turbos on it before I decide.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Yep, if you hold off even a little while, you'll be subject to even more info which might help sway your decision - will the gas engine power bump make it more enticing, combined with the upfront savings? Or will the upgraded diesel's power output be too much to resist? If you wait the two years you're talking about, a lot can happen. Your current diesel could have a very expensive problem which completely sows up the decision to buy a gas. Or, the "upgraded" 6.7L could be problematic - also sowing up the decision for a gas. Conversely, the new diesel could be spectacular...with Ford designing a better, less intrusive regen operation. Maybe the new engine will get much better fuel economy. These things would really push you towards the diesel.

I'm still torn - when I bought my current 6.7L, diesel was 40 cents a gallon more than regular unleaded. Right now, it is 5 cents a gallon cheaper.

For now, I'm going to stick with the gas truck. $60k was the budget max I set for myself, which is still crazy for a pickup truck, but right now that is where I am at on x-plan pricing - exactly $60k. I see some of these guys buying $70-80k trucks...more power to them. I'll be done trading every year for quite some time, as well.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 451 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Yep, if you hold off even a little while, you'll be subject to even more info which might help sway your decision - will the gas engine power bump make it more enticing, combined with the upfront savings? Or will the upgraded diesel's power output be too much to resist? If you wait the two years you're talking about, a lot can happen. Your current diesel could have a very expensive problem which completely sows up the decision to buy a gas. Or, the "upgraded" 6.7L could be problematic - also sowing up the decision for a gas. Conversely, the new diesel could be spectacular...with Ford designing a better, less intrusive regen operation. Maybe the new engine will get much better fuel economy. These things would really push you towards the diesel.

I'm still torn - when I bought my current 6.7L, diesel was 40 cents a gallon more than regular unleaded. Right now, it is 5 cents a gallon cheaper.

For now, I'm going to stick with the gas truck. $60k was the budget max I set for myself, which is still crazy for a pickup truck, but right now that is where I am at on x-plan pricing - exactly $60k. I see some of these guys buying $70-80k trucks...more power to them. I'll be done trading every year for quite some time, as well.
Well said. I'm actually kinda glad to be waiting a couple years, and I've only got 65k on my '08, so it's not like I NEED a new truck (though I'm hoping nothing major happens to my 6.4L in the meantime). These are some very exciting times to be a Ford truck fan, as there is a lot to be excited about. I'm looking forward to hearing towing impressions of the new rig, especially with the gasser (we know the PStroke will tow with ease). I will be watching the details closely over the next 2 years.

Personally, I'm hoping for a twin turbo gasser with a 10 speed before I buy.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:19 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
I've even considered going to a F-150 3.5 EB but I just love a larger HD truck.

I'm towing 8k max, so it's not like I need a huge truck. But being in the mountains, going up a grade is frustrating in my 6.2.

I'm just going to see what new diesel I can get for $40K at the end of the model year and see who gets my cash. Looks like Ram for now. That's my max for a new truck, which makes it easy to know what I can buy. Not much!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:04 PM
troverman
Hotshot
I've even considered going to a F-150 3.5 EB but I just love a larger HD truck.

I'm towing 8k max, so it's not like I need a huge truck. But being in the mountains, going up a grade is frustrating in my 6.2.

I'm just going to see what new diesel I can get for $40K at the end of the model year and see who gets my cash. Looks like Ram for now. That's my max for a new truck, which makes it easy to know what I can buy. Not much!
What can you get from RAM for $40k diesel? Just curious.

Do you have the 4.30 gears in your current 6.2L?

Quick Reply: New TorqShift-G and Gear Ratios for the 6.2