1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Gauge Advice - Need More Engine Data.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:06 AM
jmbatlanta
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gauge Advice - Need More Engine Data.

I have a '96 Ford PSD Crew Cab stock - no chips, no engine mods, nothing except for Warn hubs and Dual exhaust pipes (came with the trick).

Thanks to you guys, I now have the itch to make some tweaks and would like to start with a good set of gauges. I like the triple pod gauges but what exactly should I be measuring? Is there a complete kit for my year model that has the pod, gauges, hookups, etc... and is it something I can install myself?

After the gauges I will start reading and seeking advice for a performance chip mod. I guess my only question at this point is with a chip will my transmission blow up (very basic newbie perspective on the chip issue) if I leave the tranny stock.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Carfunkel
Junior User
Location: Canterbury - A beautifu but overpriced rural setting in central NH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Advice - Need More Engine Data.

Start with an Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge - EGT. This is the single most important piece of information you can have about what your engine is doing. Make sure that when it is installed, that the sensor is placed in the exhaust manifold where it measures EGT befor the exhaust gas passes through the turbo. Post turbo measurements will read lower, up to 300 degrees. Some people will have both pre turbo and post turbo gauges, but the pre-turbo is a must.
Second, put in a turbo boost pressure gauge. This, in conjunction with the EGt gauge allow you to run your engine more safely and more efficiently. They also give you diagnostic information which allow you to know when your engine is not quite "on".
Third, if you have the auto tranny, is a transmission oil temperature gauge. For best results, the sensor should be placed where it will read the temp of the hot oil flowing toward the cooler. A sensor in the pan takes a lot longer to react to overheating conditions. Instead of telling you that you are headed for trouble, it tends to tell you that you just had trouble.
Beyond that, let your pocketbook and your imagination be your guide. I read obout a Dodge owner who measured transmission oil, front and rear differential oil, transfer case oil and engine oil temperatures, all on the same gauge, using a rotary switch to select the desired reading. Dodge owners also tend to spend a lot of attention on their fuel pressure, but with the Ford setup, this is much less concern. But how about gauges for tire pressure, using remote radio sensors in each tire. On a dually, that tends to use up a lot of dash space.

But the minimum, EGT, boost, and tranny oil with an auto.

As far as the transmission, I guess that will depend on how much power you add, and how you drive. I have 350 hp, but rarely use more than a small fraction of it.

Good luck with your mods.

Search this Thread