Sponsored by: DP Tuner

dino or syn

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:12 PM
gburkett
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dino or syn

didn't get alot of response in the other forum so wanted to come home where alot of the knowledge is.
Is there anyone out there running synthetic oil in their PSD? Currently I am running Dello400 and will probably stick with it but I was just wondering if one would get better milage from a synthetic? Also, on another oil website I read something about how dino oils caused coking in the engine and that syns didn't, producing better wearability. Any thoughts? Just a side note.. I am trying to get more than the 13.5 mpg out of my truck. I keep reading about others getting alot more and am trying to get there with them.

2001 F350 PSD auto, crewcab, longbed, Banks Stinger W/chip, Tymar Intake, Trans Command, guages

Old 08-14-2003, 03:52 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
dino or syn

The coking is caused by shutting off the truck before the turbo has been given a chance to cool down. Since you have gauges, you can easily avoid that problem. I let my EGT's drop to 300* before shutting it off, and don't have a problem.
Synthetic can certainly be used in a Powerstroke, but if you change it every 4-5000 miles, it will get a little expensive. Many that use synthetic are also using a bypass filtering system, which gives them an extended period of time before a full change is necessary.
When I first got my truck, I was only getting 13+mpg, but keeping my fluids and filters clean has helped me bring my average up to 16.5mpg.
What other forum are you talking about?

Old 08-14-2003, 09:45 AM
gburkett
Senior User
dino or syn

Quadzilla, I saw the article in 'bobistheoilguy" website but the other forum was the oil forum on this website. Thanks for the response. I try to let it cool down to about three before shutting down. Can I ask your average temp? I watch mine last night coming home from work and this is what I got.
67mph=2000rpm, 2.5psi boost, 500 on pyro guage. Is this in the ballpark. My first diesel and just keep wondering why my milage sucks. Thanks for the help!

gene

Old 08-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
dino or syn

Your numbers are similar to mine, except the pyro reading. You said:
67mph=2000rpm, 2.5psi boost, 500 on pyro guage.
At 67mph, I would be at 2000rpm, the boost needle doesn't quite register at that speed, but it starts moving at 68mph, so I'm probably at 1.5psi boost, but I'd be at 600 on pyro gauge. The difference in the temp reading is that you've got an intercooler, and I don't. You should be seeing more boost than I at that speed, since your turbo spools quicker than mine. Your numbers sound right on to me.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:13 PM
gburkett
Senior User
dino or syn

QZ, thank you for the help sir, I really do appreciate it. I have about 34000 on it now, who knows, maybe the milage will get better with age.

Old 08-15-2003, 03:49 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
dino or syn

I've heard of people with Superduties who claim that their fuel mileage gets better with miles. To some, that's over 50K.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Carfunkel
Junior User
Location: Canterbury - A beautifu but overpriced rural setting in central NH
dino or syn

I've been running Amsoil full synthetic 15W-40 Diesel oil since about 5,000 miles. I also use a dual remote bypass filter setup - also by Amsoil, along with regular oil analysis. My first batch of Synthetic, after installing the dual filter, ran for 17,000 miles before the silicon content got too high. I changed back to the factory paper air filter in an attempt to keep the silicon (usually associated with dirt in the air intake) down, and have put almost as much mileage on the second oil change, with much better analysis results.

Synthetics will tolerate much higher temperatures without coking, but you should still wait until the turbo temperature has dropped before shutting down. The synthetic has EVERYTHING except price going for it, and if you run extended drain intervals, even the price becomes a moot factor.

Old 08-18-2003, 01:16 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
dino or syn

What does the dual filter set-up cost, and what is the cost of the oil analysis?

Old 08-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Carfunkel
Junior User
Location: Canterbury - A beautifu but overpriced rural setting in central NH
dino or syn

Originally posted by RedTaurus94
What does the dual filter set-up cost, and what is the cost of the oil analysis?
Don't quote me, as my memory is not what it once was, but as I recall, the price of the filter setup was on the order of $250. I use Blackstone Laboratory and the last sample I sent in was $17, but I think I heard that they have gone up to $20. I have heard of other labs that are less expensive, but I am very pleased with the personalized service and comments that accompany each of the lab reports. For instance, I informed them that I had switched back to a paper filter element and they noted that the silicon content was lower and recommended staying with that filter. Besides, the engine has settled in so that they now only recommend a sample every 10,000 miles, and if one amortizes $20 over that distance as opposed to a new oil change every 3-4000 miles, it aint all that much.

Drive safe.