Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Am I Making Pop Corn In My Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:03 PM
AEROSTAR ALIVE
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Am I Making Pop Corn In My Intake?

Ok Big problems. I was traveling down I40 running about 95 mph in my 93 aerostar 3.0 , and all of the sudden it bucked and kicked and died, I cranked in N and it fired right back up, but at full speed and wide open it would do it again. so I slowed and when I got home.my lockup wouldn't disengage and stay in all gears. So I swapped out TorqueConverter. that solved that. Now I get a popping from the intake on acceleration and at 45 and above speeds when lock up is engaged it has what feels to be a bad miss and won't give any power, timing is correct at idle,10 degrees, spout out. new fuel pump, new plugs, new rotor, new alternator. I am down to coil, pressure regulator,dist. cap, or ignition module. I have not checked the o2 sensor yet, but I think I just replaced it as well. anyway i am starting to get a crap idle as well. when under load it starts hesitating and when no load is present upon acceleration it pops through the intake.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Timothyap5vm
Senior User

It sounds like your intake manifold gaskets are sucked in. You'll need the engine removed and new gaskets installed.

It's just a guess so I don't really expect any results but it is a suggestion. I mean that is what an intake manifold gasket might do.

Just my 2 cents

Old 08-13-2003, 10:48 PM
johncfox
Senior User

If it turns out that it is the manifold gaskets, the engine does not have to be removed. Just replaced mine with the engine still in the van. Will be tough, but still is alot easier than removing engine.

Old 08-13-2003, 11:23 PM
AEROSTAR ALIVE
Senior User

I thought of that, but is there not going to be a loss of vaccum with that?

Old 08-14-2003, 10:25 AM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run a compression test. I would suspect valve damage.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:07 PM
eehoepp
Elder User

I second the motion for the compression test. Too bad the plugs are so hard to get to. One other thing to quickly check check is the plug wires. Has one popped off the plug or distributor? I've had that happen a couple of times (when using silicone dielectric grease in the boots). I think the grease traps some air pressure & they pop off once the engine warms up. Now I twist them while pushing them on & don't have that problem very much.

It also sounds like the spark isn't advancing with RPM. Do these engines even have a vacuum advance on the distributor? What about mechanical advance? If so, it's worth a check.

Expect that you said the timing was good at idle, I would suspect a jumped timing chain.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 11-13-2003, 07:18 PM
AEROSTAR ALIVE
Senior User
popped is pooped

Well, after all is said and done, it is faulty plug wires. I replaced the wires and the van roared to life. Thanks for the ideas. There was one corroded, I think it was #5. rusty corrosion, visible only by looking into the plug elbow.. So I changed the cap as well. all is good