1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

More wiring woes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
More wiring woes!

I'm down to the last few connectors on my engine wiring harness. I thought I took a good picture of the terminal next to the passenger battery but I didn't... and I can't find any information online for what plugs into what!

So... I had a few questions regarding the wiring to make sure I get everything right.

Here is where my confusion is stemming from:

I don't remember which side goes where on this solenoid/relay whatever it is call. I'm going to refer to it as the starter solenoid (even though I'm probably wrong on what it is.) I don't think the bottom (in this picture, it is the "top") had anything connected to it. Also, I can't remember if the front (in this picture, the "right") had more connectors than that small wire that is connected to it in the picture.

This is the wiring harness that connects to the alternator and AC compressor. I know the round grey plug plugs into the chassis wiring harness. Does the circular connector bolt onto the REAR (or in the first picture, left hand side) of the starter/fender solenoid?

Here is the chassis harness. I know the little 90 degree plug goes to the top of the starter solenoid (or bottom pin on the first picture I posted), and the gray plug goes to the alternator/ac harness. Does this double wire round connector go to the same place on the starter solenoid as the other harness (REAR)?

This is a wire from the main engine harness (that connects to the sensors/injectors etc). Does this round connector also go on the same side of the starter solenoid as the rest of the previous wires (REAR)?

Here is my old positive battery cable followed by the new one:

It looks as here, one cable goes to the driver's side battery, then to the passenger side. The other main thick cable should go to the starter correct? Does the smaller, shorter cable also connect to the starter solenoid? If so, what side, front, or rear (like I think everything else should be connected to)? Also, the mini wire connected to the front of the starter solenoid goes to the starter as well right?

For the negative battery cables, I know each end connects from the negative post to one side of the engine block, but there is another small connector on the engine block side. Does this small connector (on each negative battery cable) connect to somewhere on the frame?

I knew this was going to confuse me a few months back when I started taking it off the donor truck. I thought I took better pictures but I must have gotten side tracked and forgot to while making a mental note that I did .

Anyways, to sum up the questions:

Do all the engine wiring harness connectors go on the rear of the solenoid?

Does the shorter fatter battery cable connector go on the front of the solenoid?

Do each of the negative battery cables connect to the engine block and frame?

Thanks for any help! I still have some sorting out of the interior wiring to do, but I think it will be best to start the engine first and see which accessories don't work to tackle those.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:42 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
The starter fender mounted relay you have in the first pic, the small wire that is mounted on it now runs down to a small post on the starter solenoid. It is the trigger wire for the starter. The rest of the wires you have go on the large post that has nothing on in in the first pic. On the Pos. battery cable, the long lead with the eye on it runs to the large post on the starter solenoid, the shorter, smaller wire that comes off the passenger side battery clamp runs to the fender relay, and goes on the post with the other wires you pictured. The battery grounds bolt to the block. Ford used the fender relay for a junction for running power to the rest of the truck. Clear as mud?