There are too darn many people camping

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 08:20 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Yeah, the crowd is here, but nothing like the old days before the recession. Campers come in much later now and stay only a couple of days. If you are familiar with Farmer Bob's for example, they could have left the cows in the pasture and still had plenty of room for the campers. For service work, the same number of techs or more chasing fewer and fewer jobs. I don't even bother with it any more unless I get a call.

Steve

Old 04-16-2016, 08:20 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Man, finding campsites in places that are worth going, unless you want to pay a fortune is just getting nuts. I was looking for reservations at Myrtle Beach yesterday and once the summer season hits, the prices are like $70+ a night. States parks are now up into the $40+ a night and that is only with water and electric, no dump. If I wanted one of the few sites with dump, the next opening is in October.

When we were in Florida, we looked about at buying a site some place we actually wanted to be as opposed to in the middle of nowhere and prices were often near six figures (and in one park near Naples they were north of 100K). My wife and I have even discussed owning a campground and it is hard to see how investing in a good campground can lose money. We actually stayed for one night in a campground where, if you got right on the line on the driver's side with your slide-out, your awning was maybe 12" from the side of the camper next to us.

Maybe it is better west of the Mississippi. Around here choices seem to be, pay a fortune per night, stay in campgrounds in the middle of nowhere, camp in the winter, or book months and months in advance.

I am sure some of you can remember when you use to roll in early on a Friday night and still get a decent place for a price that didn't break the bank.

Steve
We go to Carrabelle, Fl in the spring and fall, just south of Apalachicola, not crowded at all and great seafood. Summer we head north till we hit cool wx, in winter we don't camp, we leave the crowds for the snowbirds. Last summer we did FL to the UP of MI and back July/Aug and never had a problem finding a spot. We usually call ahead in the morning once on the road and never found a full campground, maybe we are just lucky.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:59 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I think the pressure in less in spring and fall with the kids in school, but it still depends. We snowbird as business is slow in the winter and that is really a crush. We also like to beach camp in the summer and that has gotten to be a tough go. For us, that means the Myrtle Beach areas as work is still pretty busy.

Good hear it is working out for you!

Steve

Old 04-16-2016, 10:11 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
This is where we stay in Carrabelle Ho Hum RV Park offers a quiet enviroment in a No Children Park. never been in the winter, too cold.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:22 AM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 720 Likes on 570 Posts
Realize this is older thread, around here (central IA) have noticed a trend that construction workers seem to be teaming up and getting the bunkhouse campers as they are cheaper than motels for the summer work. The workers generally are quiet except they all seem to have monster trucks with no mufflers. They leave early and come back late except it seems there families' come to visit on weekends. So you end up with 1 camp site and 8 or 9 vehicles parked all over and 15 kids wanting to throw passes with dad. I do understand, but they do have shelters and playgrounds for the big weekend reunions. What I don't understand is that since they are intending to save money by bunking in 1 camper why don't they carpool. Sorry just my rant.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:52 AM
AKdave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We end up with a lot of people wanting the same thing (not so cheap housing). We've gotten selective on booking long term reservations to keep our park from becoming residential. Sad to say, but we also try to price the residential people out as we're primarily a vacation park.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:37 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I go to the Eastern Sierras three times a year. June, August and September. In order to get the time frames I want with out changing sites mid stay it's at least a year in advance for reservations. One problem is the campsite I go to has excellent amenities and only charges 35 per night full hook ups. And no, I'm not telling the name of the camp site. They're too crowded already.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:01 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Man, I know what you mean about not wanting to share favorites. Its really hard not to, but man it is already so darn hard to get in good parks. I think booking in advance has become the norm.

Steve

Old 11-14-2016, 11:00 AM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech

Maybe it is better west of the Mississippi. Around here choices seem to be, pay a fortune per night, stay in campgrounds in the middle of nowhere, camp in the winter, or book months and months in advance.

Steve
Reading comments like this is -and its not the first I've read- is making me re-think our plans to check out the east coast this winter/spring. We have reservations in Florida already for February.

We've been out West for the last 5 months - CA, MT, ID, UT, AZ and we've been able to mix it up on the price. We've spent time in some expensive parks (actually, currently in one for $45 a night), also have enjoyed being parked out in BLM, for the cost of generator and propane fuel.

Our Alfa has large tanks and we just completed 12 days with no hookups and no dumping. - About the only thing we were running low on was Propane, the furnace loves to suck that down.

The fuel thing is right on - we're living fulltime to figure out where we want to live - "interviewing" the country as it were - and will keep rolling as long as fuel costs stay low. First time they touch anywhere close to that $4/gal we saw a year or two ago, I expect we'll be done. We burn far too much diesel!

Old 11-14-2016, 11:55 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,306 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz
Reading comments like this is -and its not the first I've read- is making me re-think our plans to check out the east coast this winter/spring. We have reservations in Florida already for February.

We've been out West for the last 5 months - CA, MT, ID, UT, AZ and we've been able to mix it up on the price. We've spent time in some expensive parks (actually, currently in one for $45 a night), also have enjoyed being parked out in BLM, for the cost of generator and propane fuel.

Our Alfa has large tanks and we just completed 12 days with no hookups and no dumping. - About the only thing we were running low on was Propane, the furnace loves to suck that down.

The fuel thing is right on - we're living fulltime to figure out where we want to live - "interviewing" the country as it were - and will keep rolling as long as fuel costs stay low. First time they touch anywhere close to that $4/gal we saw a year or two ago, I expect we'll be done. We burn far too much diesel!
You get spoiled in the west with BLM and NF as you go towards the east your free camping gets real limited. The NF are thick and you might have to do some trimming. Look for COE campgrounds they are cheaper just not everywhere. Table Rock Lake (Branson, Missouri area, just left there a couple weeks ago) has free camping till spring but the water and electric are off. They do have dump station and water there.

Get a Big Buddy heater and a 20# or tap in to your gas line and heat the rig that way. It will also save on the battery running the furnace.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:00 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in So Cal, you have to plan out those trips, get on Reserve America 5 minutes early, 6 months in advance, lock on the the campsite you want and hope you are the first one to click on it, right at 8:00 a.m. Sharp! If not, sometimes you just hope to get any campsite, anywhere with those dates.
Some campgrounds don't take reservations and it's not worth the chance to get there and find it full without many options.
In today's world, camping without reservations make the stress level too much to even try.
I see why Walmarts get full of campers at night. I think some travel across country, living on that paved parking lot every night.
One nice thing here is the desert isn't too far away and really for dry camping, nothing gets better, once in fall or spring.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
We plan our trips for next year in the fall the year before. The South Carolina State Parks offer great camping, the Barker tank goes with us and we have a blast. I do not like being sandwiched in a spot, most State Parks that I have been to at least give you some space.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:04 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
We plan our trips for next year in the fall the year before. The South Carolina State Parks offer great camping, the Barker tank goes with us and we have a blast. I do not like being sandwiched in a spot, most State Parks that I have been to at least give you some space.
We have also enjoyed the South Carolina State Parks!

Old 11-17-2016, 06:09 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When we go to Myrtle Beach we stay at Ocean Lakes. Good service and have never had a problem getting a site. Next time we go down though I think I'll look into some of the state campgrounds, sound interesting. Maybe even get a list and see what's on line for the area.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Ocean Lake was packed this summer. We didn't reserve early and there was nothing for 7 consecutive days for weeks. It used to really be easy to get in there, but that has really changed over the past 30 years. Remember when it didn't have concrete pads and cost $70/night.

Only electric and water in the state parks other than for just a very few sites. You still will need reservations, but an easy bike ride to the beach and at the Myrtle Beach State Park which is the closest one to town, it is an easy bike ride over to the Commons with the restaurants and high end shopping. We have stayed there several times.

Steve

Quick Reply: There are too darn many people camping