1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E450 brakes pulling to one side.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 02:54 PM
glenns
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E450 brakes pulling to one side.

Hey all, got my RV with 54k, noticed an old receipt that right front caliper was changed because it was sticking. Van pulled to the left quite a bit so I bled brakes all around with my brother (mobile mechanic) and it got a bit better, changed front pads to quality new ones, slightly better but still pulling on hard stops.

Few weeks ago left front rotor started to stick bad, smoked brakes on left, basically had to pull off the road. Went and swapped caliper, all good and working better.

Last week, pulled everything apart, new rotors left and right, new right side caliper (all parts from same store), new pads, new bearings and seals, all new fluid, and lots of fresh new fluid bled through system. Replaced both left and right pads with new again ( they offered to warranty them).

Much better, but now after 2400 miles in a week long cross country trip now seeing it pull to the left a lil again it seems...I DO NEED an alignment as the whole van is going to the left but brakes still seem to pull left a lil...I did just do some serious panic stops to really try and bed them in and also some hard stops in gravel that activated ABS. Both fronts will stop hard but just seems that the left is doing a bit more of the work....what else can I look at?

Are the brakes just aggravating my alignment issue? In other words are the brakes magnifying the pull I have to the left now?

Old 04-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
either have a slightly sticky left caliper or the right side is not engaging all the way. Pull left apart and probably replace the caliper with a reman or new. by slightly sticky mean its not retracting the same difference as the right thus will engage quicker possibly harder than the right. Alternate is that the right side is the problem and needs to have the hose replaced since it is on what its 3d caliper? May have to flush the line prior to replacing the hook up to the caliper.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 PM
glenns
New User
Left caliper is new few weeks ago...hoses were not changed, maybe something I will look at next.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:24 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Did you replace the caliper slide bolts or at least clean and lube the existing parts?

Most often new good quality parts don't fail so quickly and seeing the caliper slide bolts not mentioned in your parts list makes me wonder if that's your issue.

HTH

Old 04-03-2016, 07:46 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glenns
Left caliper is new few weeks ago...hoses were not changed, maybe something I will look at next.
Hi glenns,
hoses are laminated and can delaminate internally causing the fluid to be trapped. Did you notice during the rework if it was difficult to collapse the caliper before swapping pads? If one side is harder to release than the other, that may be the problem. The blockage can also affect the pressure going to the caliper, reducing the pressure on that side. jim

Old 04-03-2016, 08:29 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suspect the hose also. Mine was doing as you described. It started pulling to the left during braking and then it got to the point to where the left caliper was sticking and brakes smoking. Replaced caliper to find out it was still sticking. New hose solved the problem.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 PM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by EagleFreek
I would suspect the hose also. Mine was doing as you described. It started pulling to the left during braking and then it got to the point to where the left caliper was sticking and brakes smoking. Replaced caliper to find out it was still sticking. New hose solved the problem.

if your hoses are bad you can check by cracking your bleeder screw loose. if you have pressure there(not just dripping, actual pressure) your flex hose is bad. you need to check each side individually after a brake application. if you have no residual pressure from either side that clears your master and booster also.

motorhomes are bad for parts seizing up as they usually sit parked for long periods of time and then people expect them to work flawlessley because the mileage is so low ...................................