Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fan Belt Difference ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:02 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fan Belt Difference ??

What is the difference in drive/ fan belts with Cold Weather package and W/O cold weather package? As I have been trying to figure this out at the Irish part part it says for a single alt
Cold weather package the Outside Circumference (In): 121.900 and
Non cold weather Outside Circumference (In): 122.735 Inch

Old 03-30-2016, 04:19 PM
Pirsch Fire Wagon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0.835" - Smaller for the Cold Equipped Units

Old 03-30-2016, 04:30 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't even know there was one. Interesting.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:03 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
I didn't even know there was one. Interesting.
Ever go swimming in frigid Lake Tahoe? I did and I can guarantee my cold weather package was definitely .835" smaller.

Based on a quick google the "cold weather package" is what pretty much every truck has; block heater, AIH, EBPV, and a PCM programmed to use these things.

I'd like to see it in factory literature to be sure tho.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:38 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Thanks guys for your input !!
I was wondering what the heck or why ?? I even checked to see if there was a different belt tensioner and there isn't. The reason I asked to begin with is the belt I have on my truck makes it sound like there is a little bird under the hood chirping. It drives me NUTS !! It goes away when it is warmed up. So I must have the belt without cold weather package.
Also since I am headed out on a road trip here soon I wanted to replace it and have a back up.

David I hear you on that one It happens to me after swimming in Lake Michigan in the spring. Now to prove God has a twisted sense of humor.
Guys go swimming in cold water we get shrinkage but women get their headlights turned on.
Women look hot getting out of cold water and us guys look like little boys.

By the way Welcome to FTE Pirsch Fire Wagon !

Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I even checked to see if there was a different belt tensioner and there isn't.

There ARE different belt tensioners Ed. Hang on a minute while I get that info for you. Sorry, that was more like an hour, but I had to take an important call.

On my 2000, I installed a new drive belt, belt tensioner, and water pump pulley kit released in 2002 by Ford that applied to certain 2000-2003 F-350 DRW, F-450, and F-550 chassis cabs. I do not know why F-250/350 single rear wheel trucks were not called out for this kit, despite having the same engine, nor would I hazard a guess.

The kit was to address a concern about squealing noises from the drive belt, which Ford claimed was caused by dust on the back (smooth) side of the drive belt where it interfaced with the (smooth) water pump pulley. Note that the kit did not just replace this pulley, nor just the belt, nor just the pulley and the belt together... it also replaced the tensioner. The part number to the tensioner in the kit is different than original equipment. I suspect that the tension spring is different, and that the belt is slightly different. The instructions stated to only use the belt supplied in the kit with the tensioner supplied in the kit. I stretched both belts side by side, and did find a slight difference in length. Unfortunately, I do not remember which belt was longer, the kit belt or the OEM belt. The difference was not significant at all, but it was observable.

For single alternator chassis cab applications use Ford Kit part number 2C3Z-8620-AA
For dual alternator chassis cab applications use Ford Kit part number 2C3Z-8620-BA

Again, I do not know if the single rear wheel pick ups use yet a different part number, or the same part number under a different OASIS service message, or if there was even a drive belt / tensioner / pump pulley ever released for pickups. That would take some searching. But at least know that there are different belt tensioners that may require different belts that are not that unlike the original belt, but are subtly different.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:54 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
There ARE different belt tensioners Ed. Hang on a minute while I get that info for you. Sorry, that was more like an hour, but I had to take an important call.

On my 2000, I installed a new drive belt, belt tensioner, and water pump pulley kit released in 2002 by Ford that applied to certain 2000-2003 F-350 DRW, F-450, and F-550 chassis cabs. I do not know why F-250/350 single rear wheel trucks were not called out for this kit, despite having the same engine, nor would I hazard a guess.

The kit was to address a concern about squealing noises from the drive belt, which Ford claimed was caused by dust on the back (smooth) side of the drive belt where it interfaced with the (smooth) water pump pulley. Note that the kit did not just replace this pulley, nor just the belt, nor just the pulley and the belt together... it also replaced the tensioner. The part number to the tensioner in the kit is different than original equipment. I suspect that the tension spring is different, and that the belt is slightly different. The instructions stated to only use the belt supplied in the kit with the tensioner supplied in the kit. I stretched both belts side by side, and did find a slight difference in length. Unfortunately, I do not remember which belt was longer, the kit belt or the OEM belt. The difference was not significant at all, but it was observable.

For single alternator chassis cab applications use Ford Kit part number 2C3Z-8620-AA
For dual alternator chassis cab applications use Ford Kit part number 2C3Z-8620-BA

Again, I do not know if the single rear wheel pick ups use yet a different part number, or the same part number under a different OASIS service message, or if there was even a drive belt / tensioner / pump pulley ever released for pickups. That would take some searching. But at least know that there are different belt tensioners that may require different belts that are not that unlike the original belt, but are subtly different.
That is very interesting fact to know. Thanks for sharing it. If this next belt doesn't cure my chirping or belt noise I will look into get the kit. Because it drives me nuts hearing a noisy belt. Heck I own a 7.3 all I want to hear is noisy injectors coming from under my hood. LOL

I'm going to guess it has been 3 or 4 yrs ago I got so sick of the squealing pulley's and belt and I replaced idle pulley, tensioner assy and belt with Dayco parts. I'm going to try a Gates belt this time with the cold weather deal or we can say the shorter belt. I do want to go back to the Ford tensioner assy since it has the lock on it. But hopefully that won't be for awhile.
"But at this point in time we just don't know."

Old 03-31-2016, 07:58 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I do want to go back to the Ford tensioner assy since it has the lock on it.
What is the lock that you speak of?

Old 03-31-2016, 09:11 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
What is the lock that you speak of?
It locks the tensioner back when changing belts, it is a little metal piece that you can engage when to hold the tensioner open.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:07 AM
good9682
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is very interesting fact to know. Thanks for sharing it. If this next belt doesn't cure my chirping or belt noise I will look into get the kit. Because it drives me nuts hearing a noisy belt. Heck I own a 7.3 all I want to hear is noisy injectors coming from under my hood. LOL

I'm going to guess it has been 3 or 4 yrs ago I got so sick of the squealing pulley's and belt and I replaced idle pulley, tensioner assy and belt with Dayco parts. I'm going to try a Gates belt this time with the cold weather deal or we can say the shorter belt. I do want to go back to the Ford tensioner assy since it has the lock on it. But hopefully that won't be for awhile.
"But at this point in time we just don't know."
Did you get your squealing belt fixed? I'm having the same problem, and I'm at my wits end trying to find the solution.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by good9682
Did you get your squealing belt fixed? I'm having the same problem, and I'm at my wits end trying to find the solution.
Yes I finally resolved the issue BUT by the time I got rid of one belt noise I ended up with pulleys bearings noises, a/c clutch then lastly it was the water pump going out. So I ended up replacing everything at some point in time: alt, idle & tensioner pulleys, A/c conpressor, water pump and a few different belts. I am now running a Gates belt. So after many years with all kind of noises coming from under the hood I can now JUST hear the sound of the 7.3 injectors doing their thing.
I think I have one injector that is alittle off?!? I just turn the radio UP

Old 03-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Ed, do you remember which part replacement fixed which noise? What specifically ended the squeal? A change in belt brand? Or a change in one of the hard parts of the FEAD?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:18 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
After all the rain here in CA mine developed a belt squeal. A couple strokes across the ribs of the belt with a waxy candle took care of it.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
My e99 had 150k on it when I bought a new belt for maintenance. It squealed, so I put the old one back on and threw the new belt under the seat. It's at 300k now and still working fine.

BTW- David that's pretty damn funny!

Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Well after rereading the whole thread I replaced the belt with a Gate's Fleetrunner Micro_V cold weather with the green stripe to cure the bird chirp under the hood last year. That is the shorter belt. Then a few months later I had a new noise coming from the belt area and it ended up being the water pump.

Quick Reply: Fan Belt Difference ??