6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

P1249?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:40 PM
iron butterfly
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question P1249?

I have a 2012 f350 srw that I'm trying to rectify an intermttant p1249 dtc. What I found initially was a broken vacuum line from the egr solenoid valve to the activator. This made the truck run good and the dtc code cleared. It came back two weeks later, the truck did not go into the reduced power mode. I pulled the MAP sensor to test it and it was completely plugged with soot. I replaced the MAP sensor and removed the upper intake, cleaned out the soot, which was considerable, vacuumed out the lower manifold cleared the code. It went without a cel for about 1000 miles and came back. My questions are: any ideas on where to go next and if the soot is normal for a 116K engine would I be better served by deleting the egr/dpf/def? Thanks

Old 03-22-2016, 06:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Waste gate control valve.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:51 AM
iron butterfly
Junior User
P1249

Originally Posted by senix
Waste gate control valve.
Thanks for the reply, it is intermittant which is puzzling. To date I've done the items in the original post plus I've vacuum tested the waste gate activator which works and also holds vacuum using my hand pump. The thing that concerns me is the soot in the upper and lower manifolds. The truck has 116500 miles when this started, I don't idle it other than endless Puget Sound traffic, I tow with it, occasionally heavy, the longest trip to date to Kentucky and back, empty one way with a 6000# gooseneck, the other @ 12300#. Is it normal to accumulate soot in the intake or do I have an egr leak? Thanks again

Old 03-23-2016, 04:59 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Soot will get there and build up some. Running it hard on occasion helps.

You clean it so that should do it for awhile.

So now you need to figure out what is wrong with the waste gate.

How long does it hold vacumn?

Old 03-23-2016, 10:52 AM
iron butterfly
Junior User
P1249

I'm not sure how long it will hold it, when I tested it it held for about 30 seconds until I released it

Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 AM
senix
Super Moderator
should be sufficient.

I don't know the pin point tests for the wastegate. Might try searching the internet and see what you can come up with.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:06 PM
iron butterfly
Junior User
An update, today it threw a CEL, same code, I vacuum checked the wastegate activator from the solenoid valve, the actuator begins to move @ 8hg., it hold steady @ 10hg. For 1 minute until I released it. The supply vacuum is 30hg.@ idle. I checked the EGR activator with the same results. The KOEO voltage at the wastegate solenoid valve is 5.0v. I can't manipulate the individual solenoid valves with my AE scan tool (or else I haven't figured out how) so I'm thinking my next move will be the solenoid valve. I hate throwing parts at a problem like this but this being an intermittent problem I could see this sitting at the dealer for a month and being our daily driver it would be a hard sell to convince my wife that riding on the tractor would be cool. Although, if I put a lawn chair on the bush hog......... Any ideas on either of these ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-25-2016, 05:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
explore the cost of the solenoid if you could return it if no needed?

I think I would replace it and see.

This probably cheaper than a diagnostic fee to find the problem, if they can be intermittent.

You do have warranty left though? If so would they give you a loaner to drive?

Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 PM
iron butterfly
Junior User
No warranty left. I'm going to replace the waste gate control valve if that fails I'm going to dig into the egr valve. The next pin point test is the egr gaskets leaking exhaust into the intake which could explain the amount of soot present. After that it is to command a static regen, any idea how to accomplish this? I'll keep y'all posted.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:46 AM
iron butterfly
Junior User
Removed the butterfly valve from the cold air cooler which was absolutely caked with soot, soaked it and the cooler hose with simple green and dawn then pressure washed them and scrubbed on them til they were clean, replaced the waste gate actuator and haven't had a cel since. I've done some research on the soot accumulation and as I understand the system the exhaust gases are cooled and routed into the intake to reduce the combustion chamber temps to reduce NOX. The crankcase gases which usually contain an oily mist are also routed into the intake. I'm thinking this is very much like what happens on a double wall chimney on an air tight wood stove. As the gases/creosote cool at the top of the chimney oily soot collects on the pipe and eventually has to be scrubbed out. I can see how running under a load would extend the length of time between clean outs but not eliminate it entirely as the gases are still going through a cooler. What needs to happen is a water/methanol injection synced with the egr cycle or better yet a water/meth injection instead of an egr system. With the stuff I just cleared out of my intake there's not much point in running an air cleaner.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:39 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I can see your point.

Glad you got the actuator replaced and that cured the cel.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:53 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Great thread, thanks for sharing and the follow up.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:32 AM
UFEngineer13
New User
Sorry to revive old thread

I apologize for reviving an old thread but hope to get the attention of the OP and other posters.

I am having the same exact issue, CEL came on for P1249 and upon inspection found the little vacuum line split. Replaced and made about 5 trips until CEL back on and this time I got P1249 and P24a5. I checked around some more and didn’t see anything else vacuum related and my 4x4 works. Cleared codes and clean MAP, MAF, and butterfly valve. Also vacuumed out some soot and general cleaning. Made another couple trips and CEL back up for P1249. I’ve order a new solenoid to replace but not sure what’s next.

Did the OP change the solenoid or the acuator on the side of the turbo? Does the P24a5 code point to another issue around potential EGR plugged or something? Truck seems to run fine.

2011 Early Build with 199,5xx miles. Truck is stock on the driveline.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Jimmy Rank
Freshman User
Originally Posted by UFEngineer13
I apologize for reviving an old thread but hope to get the attention of the OP and other posters.

I am having the same exact issue, CEL came on for P1249 and upon inspection found the little vacuum line split. Replaced and made about 5 trips until CEL back on and this time I got P1249 and P24a5. I checked around some more and didn’t see anything else vacuum related and my 4x4 works. Cleared codes and clean MAP, MAF, and butterfly valve. Also vacuumed out some soot and general cleaning. Made another couple trips and CEL back up for P1249. I’ve order a new solenoid to replace but not sure what’s next.

Did the OP change the solenoid or the acuator on the side of the turbo? Does the P24a5 code point to another issue around potential EGR plugged or something? Truck seems to run fine.

2011 Early Build with 199,5xx miles. Truck is stock on the driveline.
I'm having the same issue. I replaced the wastegate solenoid, but the CEL came back on 200 miles later. Did you ever figure this out?

Old 10-05-2020, 11:26 AM
UFEngineer13
New User
Mine was all fixed by the vacuum hose leak. I’d replaced the hose once and ruled that out but upon further investigations my replacement hose wasn’t sealing off. Got another new one from Ford and good as new.

Quick Reply: P1249?