Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Air horn to the air brake system

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:06 PM
usmcpat
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 1979 Ford
I am going to leave the below quote here. Maybe instead of trying to argue with me and prove me wrong you should pay attention.

do you want help or not?

If you, go get a shop manual.
If you noticed in the above diagram I attached and read the entire thread I do have a shop manual and I am consulting it yet again there are no valves between the different reservoirs in the air system that being said I fail to see how this compromises the brake system. I apologize for having to college education and using what I learned at a university in conjunction with the skills that I possess I simply was looking for information in the future I will not contact you or ask for your input and I would ask you to do the same. Good day and happy Easter

Old 03-26-2016, 05:12 PM
usmcpat
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 1979 Ford
I am going to leave the below quote here. Maybe instead of trying to argue with me and prove me wrong you should pay attention.

do you want help or not?

If you, go get a shop manual.
Also the emoticon you used in your comment was insulting. I would suggest in the future try to explain your position another way to help someone understand your position. Because we all know everything is gospel on the internet.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:42 AM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by usmcpat
Originally Posted by usmcpat
If you noticed in the above diagram I attached and read the entire thread I do have a shop manual and I am consulting it yet again there are no valves between the different reservoirs in the air system that being said I fail to see how this compromises the brake system.
I'm not sure what you mean by no valves between the different air tanks.
The primary and secondary tanks both have check valves between them and the supply tank to prevent back flow should the supply tank lose air pressure for any reason.
There's a double check valve between the primary and secondary tanks to insure one tank has air pressure to operate the brakes should the other tank lose pressure.
These check valves serve as a back up and safety system that is man dated for all trucks and buses equipped with air brakes.
Just so everyone knows there's a safety check valve in the supply tank that is designed to relieve pressure above 150-175 psi to prevent the air lines or any other part of the air system from blowing up.
In over 30 years of driving and working on big trucks I've never see anyone tap into the air governor supply line to operate another device, not saying it's a bad thing, just never seen it done before. I can see where it would cause the compressor to short cycle while the horns are being blown, only down side I can see is possibly increasing the wear rate of the unloader valve in the compressor.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Jones518
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice truck! would you be willing to assist a fellow F800 owner? I'd like to know which shop manual you have and if you would be so kind as to take a clear pic of the air brake diagram and attach it to the thread. check out my build thread on pirate4x4 "F-800 crew cab build"

Old 12-25-2016, 03:08 PM
NoFrod
Senior User
Much safer to pull air for the horn from the tires.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:56 PM
roKWiz
Mountain Pass
Here's a clearer diagram Jones.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:16 PM
roKWiz
Mountain Pass
Unrelated truck I know but this is how my K100's air horns are plumbed. via the air manifold (7)

Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Jones518
New User
Thank you RokWiz! confirming this is applicable for my 1989? I'm at work for a week, but when I get home I'll starting comparing this to my system. I have a pretty fast leak (tanks empty in 2-3 hours), but nothing audible. Apologies to the OP, not attempting to hi-jack.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:47 PM
NoFrod
Senior User
roKWiz: I like your air supply tie-in. Do ya spoz that's why there's an air manifold with unused ports ?

Old 12-30-2016, 07:59 PM
NoFrod
Senior User
Marine Corps "Cluster "Hump"" !

usmcpat said: "Well completely disagree with y'all! I'm going to fire it up and keep an eye on pressure and see how it goes. From what I remember from physics class the pressure drop shouldn't be an issue. Worst case scenario the compressor will start building more pressure in the system if there's a loss of pressure on the governor. If any thing it will allow the system to recover faster from the drop in pressure if I hang on it."

My recollection is that the term "cluster f---" comes from the US Army. However, I'm becoming convinced that it may apply more generally to other branches of the military.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:14 PM
roKWiz
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by NoFrod
roKWiz: I like your air supply tie-in. Do ya spoz that's why there's an air manifold with unused ports ?
My LN Louie (and the KW) have a couple of extra ports on their air manifolds for just such options + another diagram shows air radiator shutters plumbed to the air manifold as are the air wipers.
Geoff

Old 12-31-2016, 07:52 PM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
Had a 75 Binder with a VT903, that was my first truck.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:46 AM
usmcpat
Mountain Pass
Everything with the air horn and breaks are working perfectly. Thanks for the input

Old 01-14-2017, 08:59 PM
NoFrod
Senior User
Why did you want input ?

Old 11-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Chris Brackett
New User
Originally Posted by big job
Air Horn? On mine the horn is tee'd of the supply line at the low air buzzer switch.
think its 1/4 inch tubing...
do you have some pictures of how you set it up?

Quick Reply: Air horn to the air brake system