Dual Carb upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:26 AM
F-100project
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Carb upgrade

I'm running a Offenhauser 360 (with a Edelbrock 600) and I'm going to change it over to the dual carb Clifford with dual Holley's, I bought it as a combo. Has anyone done this swap? I believe the Holley's are the model 2300's. Carb over kill I'm sure. Pictures under my profile. The motor isn't stock, bored 30, head shaved ported and polished with bigger valves, big crower cam, and a DUI distributor. I believe I had it around 9 to 1, I can't find my measurements to get an exact number.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:48 AM
F-100project
New User

I do plan on changing the air cleaners.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:53 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have not run that combo, but the dual Clifford intake is something I'm interested in. I sent a message to him via the Facebook post; I think they are like $500? I've been searching for a used one for some time w/no luck.

I was thinking about using dual 2 barrel 2100/2150 carbs tho vs dual 4 bbls. Not sure what size. I have a single 1.14 size I had planned to use on an Offy C.

I'll be following this to see if you do this and how it works out.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:59 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
That set up will work. It would be a little better if the carbs were the 350 cfm ones. But you can get the 500's to work too it will just take some tuning.

Do you know which holley's you've got? Are they the 4412 500 cfm carbs? Or the 350 cfm carbs? I believe the 350's are list # 7448. It's been a while since I messed with the Holley 2V's, so I might be wrong on the 350 list #'s.

I looked for a long time to try and find a used one of those Clifford dual carb intakes. I didn't have much luck so I'm building my own. I'm going with run a pair of Autolite 2100's, either 1.01's or 1.02's ( I've got a few of both ) .

Old 03-17-2016, 03:27 PM
F-100project
New User
Unfortunately I'm in Arizona and the engine and truck is in Missouri. I retire in May, but I plan on doing the upgrade around the first week of June. I was thinking they are 350cfm carbs vice 500, but now you got me second guessing myself. I talked to Clifford before I bought the set up and they still sell the intake and carb plates, but I got a really good deal on this one.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:52 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by F-100project
Unfortunately I'm in Arizona and the engine and truck is in Missouri. I retire in May, but I plan on doing the upgrade around the first week of June. I was thinking they are 350cfm carbs vice 500, but now you got me second guessing myself. I talked to Clifford before I bought the set up and they still sell the intake and carb plates, but I got a really good deal on this one.
That makes it a little harder to check the list # on the carbs. If the carbs are 500's and you are worried about them. You can always sell the 500's and pick up smaller Holley's or a pair of Autolite 2100 or Motorcraft 2150's. The Autolites/Motorcraft carbs are pretty cheap to buy and rebuild. And I believe the Holley 350's were slightly more expensive used the last time I checked.

Yep they still sell the intake. The last time I checked the intake was around $400.00 and the carb mounts were around $50.00 each. I just couldn't see spending $500 on a intake manifold. The one I'm building will be less then $150.00 in materials. I'll just have a lot of time into it. It won't look as good as the clifford intake. But mine is going in an 80's Econoline so no one will be able to see the intake anyways.

Post lots of pictures when you swap it in!! And let us know how you like it.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:14 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman75
Yep they still sell the intake. The last time I checked the intake was around $400.00 and the carb mounts were around $50.00 each. I just couldn't see spending $500 on a intake manifold. The one I'm building will be less then $150.00 in materials. I'll just have a lot of time into it. It won't look as good as the clifford intake. But mine is going in an 80's Econoline so no one will be able to see the intake anyways.

Do you have a pic of your home built one, or describe how you'll do it? I've seen how FTF and others use efi intake lowers and build a box on top with carb flanges, but always curious and seeking ideas on how to do others.

I agree, $400+ is pricey, and evidently most other folks think the same way due to lack of used models out there. I can find the Offy C & DP from time to time on craigslist if I stay on top of it, but haven't seen any of those locally for a yr or so. If I have the cash, I'll buy 'em when I see for sale if the cost is reasonable ($100 or less). Good item to have on the shelf.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:46 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
I agree with Fordman. Two 350s (that's equivalent to a 500 cfm four barrel) would be preferable to two 500s (that's equivalent to a 715 cfm four barrel).
I've done a few with the smaller, cheaper, and, in my opinion far superior Autolite 2100 2150s. The dual-two gives more uniform fuel distribution which results in a better driving package.

Here's some old pics of a couple of mine, if you haven't viewed them ad nauseum yet:

The six holes in the fuel log attachment bracket are there to hold spark plugs.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:21 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fljab
Do you have a pic of your home built one, or describe how you'll do it? I've seen how FTF and others use efi intake lowers and build a box on top with carb flanges, but always curious and seeking ideas on how to do others.

I agree, $400+ is pricey, and evidently most other folks think the same way due to lack of used models out there. I can find the Offy C & DP from time to time on craigslist if I stay on top of it, but haven't seen any of those locally for a yr or so. If I have the cash, I'll buy 'em when I see for sale if the cost is reasonable ($100 or less). Good item to have on the shelf.
I sent you a PM with info on my intake so we don't hijack F100's thread.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:42 PM
F-100project
New User
Very nice FTF, I have chatted with you before, and have seen a couple of your videos. I am looking forward to installing the intake, the single Edelbrock 600 runs strong, it needs some tuning though because it stubbles a slight bit when the four barrel opens. I am trying to get my wife to look at the numbers so I look up which carbs they are.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:43 PM
F-100project
New User
Not an issue Fordman, I have been reading forms for a while now. It's a learning process for me.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:00 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer;16133379
Here's some old pics of a couple of mine, if you haven't viewed them ad nauseum yet:

The six holes in the fuel log attachment bracket are there to hold spark plugs.

[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/6racer/media/TECH%20INFO/2x2intake02_zps0d3c32b3.jpg.html"
[/URL]
FTF, your pics bring up a question in my mind, and it should contribute to this thread.

I notice you and others place the carbs where the (two) barrels are perpendicular to the engine. I thought to place them 90 deg where they are in line with the engine. Would fuel distribution be a bit better that way?

Dual (or single) 4 barrels wouldn't make any difference as they are in a square, so no matter how you do it, they are in line and perpendicular, if that makes sense.

I know you have mucho experience here, so just asking.

I can see where throttle linkage would be much easier the way they are in your pics.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:53 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fljab
FTF, your pics bring up a question in my mind, and it should contribute to this thread.

I notice you and others place the carbs where the (two) barrels are perpendicular to the engine. I thought to place them 90 deg where they are in line with the engine. Would fuel distribution be a bit better that way?

Dual (or single) 4 barrels wouldn't make any difference as they are in a square, so no matter how you do it, they are in line and perpendicular, if that makes sense.

I know you have mucho experience here, so just asking.

I can see where throttle linkage would be much easier the way they are in your pics.

With the carb float bowls facing forward there is less chance of fuel slosh issues under acceleration.

I'm setting mine up with the carbs facing forward.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:04 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
With the carb float bowls facing forward there is less chance of fuel slosh issues under acceleration.
And The Frenchtown Flyer deals with acceleration!!!

Old 03-18-2016, 06:04 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Yes, facing forward as pictured should be best. I have done it both ways and even though there may be some slight high RPM benefit to having them sideways it is a chore to overcome acceleration flat spots that way.

Also, I ended up moving the throttle bracket to the front carb for better cable routing.

Quick Reply: Dual Carb upgrade