6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Do I need a new turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:05 PM
cookingguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a new turbo

So I have been having lots of issues the past few weeks. I have replaced the vgt pigtail and the vgt solenoid. I was still throwing up the vgt code on my scanner, also was have lots of boost issues. So today I decided to pull my turbo. When I got it out I saw the wires for the vgt solenoid sensor were damaged and all tangled up with each other (bare wires). So I repaired them and proceed to pull apart my turbo to clean it and hope that it fixes my issues and I can go on down the road. Well I get it all cleaned up and the vanes are rough and there is alot of pitting on the other parts of the turbo.. So I went ahead and put the truck back together and my turbo just does not want to work very little boost. Is it time for a new turbo? Are the remanufactured turbos ok to use?

Old 03-05-2016, 08:55 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
FWIW, i have a ford remanufactured turbo in my 6.0. The truck had it when i bought it a little over 20,000 miles ago. I have no idea how long it has been there. The place i bought my truck from did a lot of repairs to it, but no turbo work. I haven't had any issues with my turbo yet.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:54 AM
cookingguy
Senior User
Is it possible that when I put the turbo back together I did not have things lined up properly an that is causing my little to no boost issue? By the way I forgot to put the reference mark on it beforbi took it apart. Butbi was able to get it all back together just wondering if something was not right. Or do I have to get a new turbo

Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You didn't mention anything about the unison ring? Was it stuck?
If you watch any of the you tube videos, the very first thing to do is to mark both sides to ensure its properly aligned when reassembled.
If it's not, I'd expect problems in operating properly.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:22 PM
cookingguy
Senior User
The unison ring was not stuck or binding in any way. I know I was supposed to put the reference mark. But I didnot. I got distracted by one of my dogs freaking out and when I got back to the turbo I forgot the mark and just took it apart. I am just wondering if I did not have the unison ring in the right spot. The unison ring did have lots of wear in the lillte hole the actuator goes in. Is there a way to just set the unison ring and the vanes to a certain spot and put it back together and have it work properly

Old 03-06-2016, 12:30 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Someone here had a local guy machine a new slot for the unison ring on his turbo, and I think it did the job.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:17 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

You can access the unison ring and vane operation thru an access hole, once the clip is removed to ensure proper movement.
What the you tube video by diesel tech Ron.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:00 PM
cookingguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by r2millers
You can access the unison ring and vane operation thru an access hole, once the clip is removed to ensure proper movement.
What the you tube video by diesel tech Ron.
Everything seemed to be moving properly. I just have very little boost. I am thinking it's time for a new turbo

Old 03-06-2016, 05:05 PM
fabsroman
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had turbo issues this past spring. Took it apart, forgot to mark everything, and forgot to make sure it spun freely before putting it back in the truck. I put it back in the truck and there was zero boost. I went from a truck with some problems to a truck that was a dog. I took off the air intake tube on the driver's side of the turbo, the one with the air filter attached to it, and figured out that the turbo was not able to spin freely. Took it back apart, and figured out that I had put it back together wrong and the turbo was not able to spin. Fixed it up, put it back in the truck, and then my problem was boost tubes blowing off under boost. I was scared I would crush them if i tightened them too much, so I dove around a little until one end blew off, and then tightened it up some more.

Anyway, my advice is to take that air intake tube off and see if you can move the vanes on the turbo with a screwdriver, etc. If not, take it out, take it apart again, reassemble it again, and make sure it spins freely before putting it back in the truck.

If you have to take it out again, buy a new unison ring for it. Amazon sells them and they deliver in 2 days if you have prime. I ordered something on Thursday and it is sitting on my front porch as I type this.

Amazon.com: Ford 6.0 VGT Turbo Unison Ring: Automotive Amazon.com: Ford 6.0 VGT Turbo Unison Ring: Automotive

Amazon.com: 6.0 Powerstroke GT3782va Duramax 6.6 GT3788va TurboÂ*Charger Unison Ring+Gt3782va Vanes 9PCS+GT3782/88VA Rebuild Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: 6.0 Powerstroke GT3782va Duramax 6.6 GT3788va TurboÂ*Charger Unison Ring+Gt3782va Vanes 9PCS+GT3782/88VA Rebuild Kit: Automotive

Edit to add: I watched the video from DieselTech Ron about 20 times, screwed it up. Watched it another 20 times, and then got it right. DieselTech Ron is the man. His videos are extremely helpful. However, I am guessing that you have already watched the video a couple of times.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:21 PM
cookingguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by fabsroman
I had turbo issues this past spring. Took it apart, forgot to mark everything, and forgot to make sure it spun freely before putting it back in the truck. I put it back in the truck and there was zero boost. I went from a truck with some problems to a truck that was a dog. I took off the air intake tube on the driver's side of the turbo, the one with the air filter attached to it, and figured out that the turbo was not able to spin freely. Took it back apart, and figured out that I had put it back together wrong and the turbo was not able to spin. Fixed it up, put it back in the truck, and then my problem was boost tubes blowing off under boost. I was scared I would crush them if i tightened them too much, so I dove around a little until one end blew off, and then tightened it up some more.

Anyway, my advice is to take that air intake tube off and see if you can move the vanes on the turbo with a screwdriver, etc. If not, take it out, take it apart again, reassemble it again, and make sure it spins freely before putting it back in the truck.

If you have to take it out again, buy a new unison ring for it. Amazon sells them and they deliver in 2 days if you have prime. I ordered something on Thursday and it is sitting on my front porch as I type this.

Amazon.com: Ford 6.0 VGT Turbo Unison Ring: Automotive

Amazon.com: 6.0 Powerstroke GT3782va Duramax 6.6 GT3788va TurboÂ*Charger Unison Ring+Gt3782va Vanes 9PCS+GT3782/88VA Rebuild Kit: Automotive

Edit to add: I watched the video from DieselTech Ron about 20 times, screwed it up. Watched it another 20 times, and then got it right. DieselTech Ron is the man. His videos are extremely helpful. However, I am guessing that you have already watched the video a couple of times.
I did watch the video a few times as well and still forgot to mark the turbo. But I did make sure the that nothing was binding and the impeller was spinning freely. I will pull it again tomorrow and put the plug to make sure that the actuator is working properly. Also I am not getting any reading for my vgt duty cycle on my scanner

Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Your turbo could be working fine. I would check the actual intake pressure first.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:32 PM
cookingguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Don Naslund
Your turbo could be working fine. I would check the actual intake pressure first.
How do I check the intake pressure?
Also what do you make about the lack of a vgt duty cycle reading.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Check your MAP tube running down on top of the pass side valve cover. The end has a tendency to split and create an air leak. This false reading will fool the PCM and spool down the turbo.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:19 AM
cookingguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by r2millers
Check your MAP tube running down on top of the pass side valve cover. The end has a tendency to split and create an air leak. This false reading will fool the PCM and spool down the turbo.
Map tube is good. But I will double check again

Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 AM
timmytoes
Senior User

If you haven't checked already, the pigtail that plugs in the turbo itself is a possibility. I just discovered mine being messed up yesterday. The wires up close to the plug itself were exposed. Time for me to get a new pigtail and a MAP hose as well.

Quick Reply: Do I need a new turbo