Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic hose pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:21 PM
JRS2
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hydraulic hose pressure

This is an odd one, but I'll bet someone or a few of you might know. Blew a hose on an older front end loader, Trojan 164. Anyways trying to determine what capacity psi hose I should get. The weight is between 5 and 6 tons, so will lift at least that much. I was told that actual weight being lifted does not necessarily correspond to internal pressure in the line, but it certainly is significant .... the light duty hoses in 3/4 hose size are around 2200 psi, found one rated at 5000 psi, wondered what folks more knowledgeable about this than I think about this ?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:13 PM
MI02SVT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JRS2
This is an odd one, but I'll bet someone or a few of you might know. Blew a hose on an older front end loader, Trojan 164. Anyways trying to determine what capacity psi hose I should get. The weight is between 5 and 6 tons, so will lift at least that much. I was told that actual weight being lifted does not necessarily correspond to internal pressure in the line, but it certainly is significant .... the light duty hoses in 3/4 hose size are around 2200 psi, found one rated at 5000 psi, wondered what folks more knowledgeable about this than I think about this ?
No the weight being lifted doesn't matter it's what the pump can supply 5000 psi hose is more than enough I would guess 3200 would be fine usually what I've gotten made up if you have any heavy equipment shops near you they should be able to make the hose for you

Rephrase not what the pump can supply but what the valve body allows

Old 03-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
Higher rated Hyd hoses have extra reinforcement in them to prevent swelling and bursting. There are usually stiffer so in a high flex area, they may put extra stress on the steel lines that they are attached to. But they will hold up to pressure spikes much better.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 PM
JRS2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MI02SVT
No the weight being lifted doesn't matter it's what the pump can supply 5000 psi hose is more than enough I would guess 3200 would be fine usually what I've gotten made up if you have any heavy equipment shops near you they should be able to make the hose for you

Rephrase not what the pump can supply but what the valve body allows
Thanks guys. So, for a standard Ford or Case backhoe loader these lines are say 2 to 3000 psi standards ?

Anyways I asked for an over the phone quote and got a $ 90 estimate, I really should replace 3 lines and I can find not exact sizes but perhaps close already made on Ebay for 20 plus shipping. Oh, apparently there are JIC connectors and a number like 9, 15 whatever, do you know what different numbered JIC connectors mean ?

Old 03-01-2016, 09:06 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JIC-12 is a 3/4" fitting, most likely what it is.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
There should be a place near you that can make the exact hose(s) you need. They cut the hose to the correct length and crimp the correct ends on them.

Around here the auto parts places do this. So do farm implement dealers. Ask around, there is certainly a place near you somewhere.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:12 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
You can also buy balk hose and replaceable ends. I worked out of a service van on material handling equipment and made replacement hoses on the spot. Only special tool needed was a cutoff wheel on a die grinder to get a clean cut on the braid in the hose. The other advantage is that the ends don't go bad and just the hose can be replaced. Here is a JIC size chart to help understand the sizing.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/images/techhelp/JIC.pdf

Old 03-02-2016, 06:10 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 88n94
There should be a place near you that can make the exact hose(s) you need. They cut the hose to the correct length and crimp the correct ends on them.

Around here the auto parts places do this. So do farm implement dealers. Ask around, there is certainly a place near you somewhere.
This is what I do. John Deere dealer or napa make them. Just take your old hose in so they can match it up.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:06 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by bashby
This is what I do. John Deere dealer or napa make them. Just take your old hose in so they can match it up.
same here. all hoses are made by napa and they only use the 5000 or 6000 PSI steel braid hose.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 AM
MI02SVT
Senior User
Originally Posted by JRS2
Thanks guys. So, for a standard Ford or Case backhoe loader these lines are say 2 to 3000 psi standards ?

Anyways I asked for an over the phone quote and got a $ 90 estimate, I really should replace 3 lines and I can find not exact sizes but perhaps close already made on Ebay for 20 plus shipping. Oh, apparently there are JIC connectors and a number like 9, 15 whatever, do you know what different numbered JIC connectors mean ?
I wouldn't say 2 to 3000 for most lines depends on where the hose is or what it's used for jic is a 37 degree flared fitting

90 bucks sounds about right for a hose I would stay away from eBay hoses for that cheap something can't be right

Never knew Napa made hoses that's good to know I usually went to a Parker store near my work or if it was a oddball fitting ais construction equipment which was a John Deere dealer

Old 03-02-2016, 03:13 PM
JRS2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Bruners4
You can also buy balk hose and replaceable ends. I worked out of a service van on material handling equipment and made replacement hoses on the spot. Only special tool needed was a cutoff wheel on a die grinder to get a clean cut on the braid in the hose. The other advantage is that the ends don't go bad and just the hose can be replaced. Here is a JIC size chart to help understand the sizing.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/images/techhelp/JIC.pdf
So, if I can cut a hose in this manner, figure out how to get the old hose removed from my ends, I should be able to reasonably figure out - maybe visit U Tube and watch. If this really is not difficult then cut down 6 Ft of hose will be enough for 3 of my lines, ALOT less than $ 270 if somebody else made them up .... Thanks all for the explanation, will be looking further into it ....

Old 03-02-2016, 03:54 PM
wag53
Senior User
Check the fittings you get, some are reuseable and some are crimp on and you have to replace the ferrule. The reuseable type use a screw on ferrule.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:15 PM
JRS2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by wag53
Check the fittings you get, some are reuseable and some are crimp on and you have to replace the ferrule. The reuseable type use a screw on ferrule.
Wag53 - Very good suggestion, I think I do have the screw type, I will take a pic when camera is done charging .... I might luck out on this if this is the case and then will have to purchase the correct size and capacity hose..

Old 03-04-2016, 06:38 PM
JRS2
More Turbo

Reuseable Ends ?

Another still on machine

Here are a couple of pics - finally got around to getting them loaded. Now I'll have to look up the specs on the actual hoses Aeroquip 1509-12 2Q66 hoses measure 1.25d" OD.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:03 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes those are re-usable ends. Look to be in fairly good shape. PB Blaster the heck out of them and they should be good to go.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic hose pressure