2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Sync NAV takes the long route

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Frolin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync NAV takes the long route

Recently got a 2013 Explorer Limited with the Sync Navigation system. Made my first real road trip and took my trusty Garmin with me, so listening to two ladies voices telling me where to go for 1900 miles.

Conclusion is, the Garmin seems to be better at Routes and Traffic. A couple times, Garmin gave shorter routes and also warned of Traffic where the Nav system never did.

I have the most up to date Sync software updates (per the shop two weeks ago, due to other matters), and also the new A7 map sim card. And I have the full Sirius package on mine today.

As example... driving from Tulsa towards Oklahoma City, I wanted to go to Choctaw. For simple reference, image OKC as a clock and the Turnpike to Tulsa is at 2 oclock, and Choctaw is at 3 oclock, and located about 20 miles out.

On the Ford Nav system, it had me take the Turnpike all the way in to OKC, take IH-35 South along the East side of the City, then take IH-40 East (about 3:30 angle) out about 15 miles, then turn back North to get up to Choctaw...
...Garmin and Google both have me do the same, exit off the Turnpike about 20 miles before OKC and go South, on a major rural road down right to the intersection in Choctaw.

In short, Ford Nav had me drive another 40-45 miles further than need to. Another 30-40 minutes added to the trip because I was busy and did not realize the mistake and was one of few times did not have Garmin online.

Ford Nav is set to use the 'fastest' route, but in either case, the Garmin route was lots shorter and faster, so either setting should have done it. Plus the roads were very direct straight through, no construction issues.

Wondering if any other settings I am missing, that would have caused a 40-45 mile and 30-40 minute longer route, where 'cutting across' the outside of the City is so obvious, even if you look at a Map or use Google ?

Also wondering why missed Traffic Notices ?
( the weather service and radar map were cool, so Sirius is working fine )

Attached Images   
Old 02-24-2016, 01:49 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Can't really comment on this particular route but a few things I've found with the nav on my 2014:

You have the Ford set for fastest route. Make sure you don't have it set for "avoid toll roads". Also check for a setting to limit use of "secondary" roads. The Ford nav system does some odd things sometimes. I've had it take me from point A to point B via one route and use a different route to take me back from B to A. This is just a guess but it seems to take into account time of day when making decisions about using local highways.

Sirius traffic is useless. I cancelled my subscription after spending hours stuck in traffic jams that Sirius Traffic had no record of and received warnings about traffic backups on my route that didn't exist. It also popped up warnings about traffic jams in the adjourning state! Useless! My wife's Garmin has a traffic receiver that uses Shadow Traffic reports broadcast as a sub carrier an local FM radio stations. It seems to work well.

Actually, I'm familiar with the area you show since I spent 35 years driving back and forth to Norman from NYC and I probably would have taken the route Ford nav chose. But that's just me.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Frolin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pup, thanks for the reply. Did not find a setting for 'avoid secondary', did not have 'avoid tolls', for that matter anything for 'avoid' is set to no/off.

Did find "User preferred route" enabled, and not sure what it is/does, but disabled.

But agree that the Sirius so far is not proving itself worth it, and the Garmin I have had various models with traffic, for years, and have been routed around it several times.

Just odd...

Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've had two or three mfg's in dash gps (Audi, Ford, Jeep...) and been disappointed by them all... not only by the 3 yr old outdated maps even though they are the 'latest', and the high cost of the option, and the high cost of map updates, and the lack of software updates...

but have had garmins since forever, and have 3 active right now...
I think the fact that it's a feature for the car mfg's and it's Garmins LIFE and only product... tells you a lot....
thinking of the car mfg's foray into gps, "jack of all trades and master of none" comes to mind