Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Suggestions on Trans Filter & Fluid Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering what aftermarket kits you have had good luck with in changing th ATF fluid an filter on your Aerostar's transmission? I am concerned, mainly, with who makes a good trans pan gasket? I am tired of cheap gaskets, that tend to drip or leak, after 1,000 miles or so. I am very mindful of removing all traces of the old gasket from the casing and pan. Positioning the gasket properly, and lastly, not over tightening the pan bolts. Or should I just go to the dealer for a Motorcraft kit? Does anyone know if Purolator makes Ford's trans filters and gaskets? Also, your suggestions for a quality ATF fluid for an Aerostar? Thank You for your thoughts ...

Old 08-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that if you do a lot of towing that synthetic is the way to go. It's more expensive but you only have to change it every couple of years. It displaces the heat better.

-Matt

Old 08-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru

I've used the Fram filter and gasket kit. If you've never had a Fram on there and you decide to put one on, make sure the kit includes the longer bolt. Mine didn't, and not knowing any better, I went down to the hardare store to find another bolt. Next time I replaced the filter, the kit had the longer bolt. I change my fluid every two years, so I can't say the gasket will last longer than that. But, it does go two years without leaking. I would have used Purolator, but the part listed in the catalog didn't look quite right. If you go with Purolator, I suggest you know what the old filter looks like to avoid getting the wrong part.

For ATF, I use Mobil 1. Seems to work fine and hold up well to all the around town/stop and go driving that the van is subjected to. I switched over when the transmission was fairly young (about 57K miles on it) and haven't had any problems with seals leaking.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:53 AM
Ed
Posting Guru

Matt, Mikeman, thank you for your thoughts, which i will keep in mind. I am a big fan of Mobil 1, I have used Mobil 1 10w30 in my Aerostar for almost 10,000 miles now (1987 3.0v6) with a FL400s Motorcraft oil filter, and the van runs great. I also cleaned the engine and detailed it over two years ago, with absolutely no leaks associated with the engine while using Mobil 1. However, I do have a slight leak in the trans pan gasket, noticeable after a freeway run on a hot day, especially if the Aerostar is parked on an incline, there is a drip about the size of a quarter on the pavement. i can see right where it's coming, hence my post on this thread as I want to change the ATF fluid and filter soon. I even use Mobil 1 10w30 in my lawnmower's Briggs & Stratton powerplant, starts and runs perfect. Lawnmower purchased new in 1988... ED